Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boggs work of art
DarrenW

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Boggs work of art

Got manifold today. Very happy. They have done me a shallow version so filter exits bonnet in a good place (hopefully!). Rescued attachment 20082007195.jpg
Rescued attachment 20082007195.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
..... and also a TPS bracket. Mac#1 are sending me a throttle cable tonight so should be able to get on with fitting as soon as ive finished landscaping back garden. Rescued attachment 20082007196.jpg
Rescued attachment 20082007196.jpg

jacko

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice Darren boggs make a nice job .
How was the holiday
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oldmanmille

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
How long did it take you to get them back from Bogg's?
worX

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Look good Darren...

Steve

DarrenW

posted on 20/8/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
It took 4 weeks ish. Wasnt supposed to be ready until tomorrow but i got the call last Thursday so happy with that.

Holiday was fair to poor. Cannot recommend Alcudia to anyone (especially Hotel Alcudia). Great for the kids, fantastic beach but the resort was poor (and we were in the Port end which is supposed to be nicer - didnt bother going into the main tacky end). Porto Pollenca (spelling?) was nicer so went there for 2 days. As soon as we got home we bought a tent so we can have weekends away. Been to Runswick bay this weekend - great apart from weather. Might try Alnwick or Coniston next.

indykid

posted on 20/8/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
4 weeks?

that's a damn sight better than the 11 weeks i ended up waiting! suppose i was told 4 originally though.........

did they come with the blue silicone hose darren?

have they just changed supplier, or is this admission that the green hose isn't up to the job i wonder?

damn pretty manifolds though aren't they?
tom

skippad

posted on 20/8/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
That manifold looks the dogs B's!
Have u got all the ecu side sorted then?
Should give yer a few more ponies and smoother running eh!

When is the next meeting of the new club?

Theres also a trackday at teesside next monday 26th do u fancy goin?

Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 20/8/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
i supplied the carbs and hose im afraid. I saw the green stuff while i was there.

Ignition ECU seems to be performing well, albeit it in 2D mode at present - hence getting TPS bracket as part of the manifold.

i wont be able to make 26th. Too much going on at home. I think next new North meet is at Sutton under Whitestonecliffe on 5th Sept. Im having root canal work done that day so probs wont make that either.

Pdlewis

posted on 20/8/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Wow now thats a work of art!! when are you taking the trip to have them sorted on the rollers?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/8/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
how are boggs making the runners?
anyone know

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Fatboy Dave

posted on 20/8/07 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cut and shut the tubes IIRC. Which is nasty...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/8/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is it particulary difficult to re-space bike carbs? Just thinking it would avoid the sharp bends in the outer runners, which would make them easier to fabricate and more even flow between cylinders.
Pdlewis

posted on 20/8/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think so are easier to respace than others as i think the ZZR fuel rail is done using rubber pipe so easy to change where as the R1 have the fuel rail intergrated into the body of the carb
DarrenW

posted on 20/8/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
The tubes maybe cut and shut (i have no idea if they are or not) but they are nice and smooth both inside and out. Im very happy with their work. Looks right. I maybe could have respaced the carbs but they have been tricky enough so far as it is (fitting air filter back plate etc).

Does anyone fancy swapping a 100mm challenger element for 60 or 75mm one?

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
They look better on the car. 1st pic with air filter on. Rescued attachment 20082007198 resize.jpg
Rescued attachment 20082007198 resize.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
2nd pic with filter off. As you can see the trumpets only just clear the bonnet line. i can get a new filter element for this at 75mm thick but again it will require large cut out in bonnet. There is also a 50mm element available but this will require the trumpets to be cut down a bit as they stick out approx 65mm. Do you think this will be a problem (just one end on will need to be cut - not the full trumpet)?

The elements are approx £45 each, however the new clips are £7 per pair and i will need 3 pair. Id consider a swap though if anyone in grass tracking circles etc wants a 100mm element.

[Edited on 21/8/07 by DarrenW] Rescued attachment 20082007199 resize.jpg
Rescued attachment 20082007199 resize.jpg

Peteff

posted on 21/8/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I can't see a problem.

Is everyone in search of the ideal solution and unwilling to compromise a little bit? There are millions of cars running round with less than perfect induction systems and no one worries a bit about them as long as they start and run.
if you know what I mean. If I'd made/bought something that looked like that I would be highly delighted and it will improve his output after it's set up.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

supercat

posted on 21/8/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Darren - slightly OT but what have you got in the dizzy place? Is it just a dizzy with the top taken off or something else?

Cheers,
James

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I cant find a pic but its basically an old dizzy. Ive left the main upstand in tact as this has bronze bearings top and bottom. Ive then cut the ali top off that normally houses the points and rotor arm etc and shortened the shaft. It does weep a tiny amount of oil but nothing significant. I may try and find a top that fits and bond it on later (its also a cover over the rotating shaft)

There are some more inventive solutions / pics on the site if you do a search. Thesnake posted the last one in the last few days, robocog another.

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Im surprised people have made comments about the runners etc without seeing the finished article. They all have a similar bend and as Pete says a lot better than some proprietary and OE solutions. The pic doesnt quite show the full picture. All of the runners are nice and smooth internally so its not just a shiny manifold. Im pretty sure that for general use the differences will make little difference to how the car runs. Sure, if you are in pursuit of pure perfection and a race beating result then it isnt for you but i guess the perfect manifold will be many times more expensive and involve a flow bench to make with guarantee. Im satisfied that when jetted up and correctly set they will be far better than the std carb and comparable to webers. Ok - i know we could get into a debate about if bike carbs are the most suitable alternative for a car engine due to revs and load characteristics etc but this is locostbuilders. I didnt have £500 to £900 for decent twin webers and if i did would probs have gone for injection anyway. Some interesting comments made all the same.

Ill not comment on the final outcome until ive had the car out on the road and back to Boggs for jetting etc. Its taken me ages to get this far so probs best not to hold your breath in anticipation

Last conundrum is should i cut the bonnet and keep the 'good for 500bhp overkill 100mm thick K&N challenger airbox' or get a thinner 50mm element and shave a bit off the trumpets (approx £65 for new element and clips assuming i can find a 50mm replacement). At least i can get it running for now without filter and go for a drive when the time comes. Fitting a new foam dome filter is out as ive bonded the challenger backplate to the kawasaki trumplet backplate so will lose th etrumpets (and i dont have enough pocket money unless someone has one cheap).
Reading the airbox thread i could make solid sides in place of the element at a thickness that suits me and fit a remote filter but not sure how to do this or where to get cost effective cone filters from. Also it may cause issues i dont want.

[Edited on 21/8/07 by DarrenW]

Andy D

posted on 21/8/07 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
2nd pic with filter off. As you can see the trumpets only just clear the bonnet line. i can get a new filter element for this at 75mm thick but again it will require large cut out in bonnet. There is also a 50mm element available but this will require the trumpets to be cut down a bit as they stick out approx 65mm. Do you think this will be a problem (just one end on will need to be cut - not the full trumpet)?

The elements are approx £45 each, however the new clips are £7 per pair and i will need 3 pair. Id consider a swap though if anyone in grass tracking circles etc wants a 100mm element.

[Edited on 21/8/07 by DarrenW]

Looking good Darren, but you could have polished your shoes!

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Very good point Andrew. They are my Prada garage shoes as well.

jacko

posted on 21/8/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Darren if the filter is going to be oK in the wet weather [ i dont know what the filter is made off ] then i would use the one you have if it was me .
How about putting a bonnet bulge over the filter
Graham

Fatboy Dave

posted on 21/8/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen them and I have one; they're still horrible. They're also the reason why I decided to start making my own and refuse to make them in the same style as theirs. The effort involved in making those runners is far greater than the effort required to space the carbs.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.