Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: will it work in water?
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
will it work in water?

Very unlikely, but has anyone run an air-cooled VW flat four in water? I'm wondering if it gets overcooled or if it's better to keep it dry. Thing is I think the turbo fan might keep one side of the cylinder blasted clear of the water but not the underneath so could end up with a serious temperature gradient in the cylinders causing something nasty to happen

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I dont even know what you are trying to do

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
neither do i, but sounds dangerously exciting.

are you trying to build some sort of submarine contraption?!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment floatingbeetle.jpg
Rescued attachment floatingbeetle.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment v04green.jpg
Rescued attachment v04green.jpg

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget your snorkel!!
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

....was that the sound of lots of multicoloured smarties hitting the floor?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

snapper

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just splashing about will be fine, if you get deep enough long enough to cause a problem you won't need a buggy you'll need a boat.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

blakep82

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
seal up under the engine (well, as much as you can anyway) somehow and build some air ducting from the roof and out the boot lid? maybe a nice big fan to help get rid of the hot air?

[Edited on 7/4/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Because water is more viscously dynamic than air, the engine would undoubtedly suffer cooling problems running in water rather than air.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

chrisg

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Psychiatric help is free these days you know?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Because water is more viscously dynamic than air, the engine would undoubtedly suffer cooling problems running in water rather than air.

Then why is the block on my X-flow full of water connected to a radiator, instead of being empty and connected to a hair drier on cold?

[Edited on 7/4/08 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

paulf

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you could manage to keep the ignition leads dry then it might run, assuming the crankcase seals etc keep water out of the oil.The problem may be the fan would not like being immersed in water and would probably destroy itself.
Maybe the fan could be disengaged when in water using a clutch from an aircon unit assuming there was then a good flow of water over the fins.
Paul.

iank

posted on 7/4/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well they managed to get it working on the Schwimmwagens

http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/WebPages/GermanKuebelwagenSchwimmwagenPage.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/4/08 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Then why is the block on my X-flow full of water connected to a radiator, instead of being empty and connected to a hair drier on cold?

[Edited on 7/4/08 by Confused but excited.]

Because your Radiator has air flowing over the outer surfaces of it, Your radiator core and engine block have water flowing through them and that is the way that it was designed to work. You might (if you take your block apart) also notice that the inner faces (where the water flows) are smooth (apart from corrosion deposit) and have no cooling fins on them.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.