scudderfish

posted on 5/11/23 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Quickjack advice

Has anyone any experience of these?

Regards,
David

ianhurley20

posted on 5/11/23 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has one and swears by it, never seen it in use so can't give my on view of it. I'd like one but can't afford the price.
perksy

posted on 5/11/23 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have one personally but seen a couple of demo's and they looked very good in practice
pewe

posted on 6/11/23 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
They do look good however as has been said cost is an issue.
I bought a two bag air jack which fits under the F27 and Maz no problems
Cost is c.£80 but you do need a compressor of course.
It must be one of the best tools I've bought in a long time.
It saves so much time and effort plus no scrabbling around underneath trying to find safe jacking points.
vevor pneumatic jack

garyo

posted on 6/11/23 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've always been a bit concerned with the space that the quickjacks take up under the car and whether they'd keep getting in the way?

Then the not-insignificant price means it's not something that I just want to try on a whim, plus the space required to store them.

I'd not thought about the air jacks. That seems like a more flexible set up in terms of positioning them differently, and easier to store away when not in use too.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/23 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Has anyone any experience of these?

Regards,
David

Would you go under that? I have the Volvo up in the air just now, 6 axle stands, 2 jacks and two wheels under it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 6/11/23 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think if I was to get one I would go for
https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/QuickJack-Portable-Automatic-Car-Lift-System-Jack-2268kg-Capacity-Model-500 0TL/p/363685
as it lifts higher and can take over 2 tons. There is nothing stopping you from support your car on axle stands after lifting with this and it does have stops to stop it from dropping on you by the looks of the instructions.

Keith
Aviemore

craig1410

posted on 6/11/23 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
The 1587Kg weight limit would be an issue for me as my road car is closer to 1800Kg empty and obviously more with fuel and contents. I would imagine a lot of modern cars will be close to or above this weight with fuel etc.

Even if my car was, say, 1400Kg, that's not leaving much safety margin so I would be very reluctant to go under it personally.

ianhurley20

posted on 6/11/23 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
They do look good however as has been said cost is an issue.
I bought a two bag air jack which fits under the F27 and Maz no problems
Cost is c.£80 but you do need a compressor of course.
It must be one of the best tools I've bought in a long time.
It saves so much time and effort plus no scrabbling around underneath trying to find safe jacking points.
vevor pneumatic jack

I agree with the above, I have a 3 bag version and it is brilliant. First car I used it on was replacing discs and pads on a Honda CRV, not sure of the weight but they are heavy. One point is that i will never get under a car of any sort unless it has at least two means of support.

dmac

posted on 6/11/23 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the manual for the quickjack you have to have additional supports before you work under it, that is really going to limit your access to a lot of places under the car!
perksy

posted on 7/11/23 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Definetly use fixed supports

We had a chap killed near where I lived once, He'd been working under a Jaguar just using a trolley jack and it had slowly released, come down and killed him

Slimy38

posted on 7/11/23 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
The 1587Kg weight limit would be an issue for me as my road car is closer to 1800Kg empty and obviously more with fuel and contents. I would imagine a lot of modern cars will be close to or above this weight with fuel etc.

Even if my car was, say, 1400Kg, that's not leaving much safety margin so I would be very reluctant to go under it personally.

That was my first thought, it might be have been ok 40 years ago when cars were closer to a ton but modern cars are heavy beasts.

On a somewhat related note, Project Farm did an interesting video on axle stands a day or so ago;

Axle stand review

My biggest surprise was how little sideways effort was required to take them down. An average rusty suspension bolt would be plenty resistance to bring a car off the stands.

[Edited on 7-11-23 by Slimy38]

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/11/23 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
And that is one reason I am building a pair of mobile axle stands (the 2 stands are joined by a crossbar.
Making rather than buying as it is half teh price, and really just incvolves welding 3mm box section together, which is the easiest welding you can do! Plus bought castors from a quality supplier.
Most of the stuff you buy will be built from the cheapest suppliers. Never ideal when getting under a car.

But I will still stack wheels under a car when working on it. Being squashed is not an appealing idea.

nick205

posted on 7/11/23 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Trolley jack (lives under work bench) and axle stands (hang on wall) for me.

If wheels are removed / available they're stacked under the car as well.

Kit car or tin top.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/11/23 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
As above, modern cars are huge and super heavy, especially electric ones. I'm quite concerned about the state and strength of some of the older concrete car parks in our area, especially after that collapse in NY, there's one in particular I've actually asked my wife to stop using as it's soaking inside so is probably full of rotten rebar and get's super busy.

I never go under a car unless it's impossible for it to fall on me even if something gives way.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/23 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Playing devil's advocate, any lifting device would have to have a safety margin on the WLL, I suspect at least 2 if not more. IIRC design standards for lifting devices require at least a 4x margin or maybe even 10? Not an excuse to overload it and take risks, but I'd say 1650 on a 1588kg lift would be against the advice but likely safe.

Would I get under it? Yes, it locks out rather than just being hydraulic. It's probably safer than just the jack and 2 axle stands I normally use.

Why I wouldn't buy it is that it seems to lift from the pinch welds, and no part of me will ever jack my car from there. They're also not far off the cost on an actual lift.

[Edited on 7/11/2023 by coyoteboy]

[Edited on 7/11/2023 by coyoteboy]

craig1410

posted on 7/11/23 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Playing devil's advocate, any lifting device would have to have a safety margin on the WLL, I suspect at least 2 if not more. IIRC design standards for lifting devices require at least a 4x margin or maybe even 10? Not an excuse to overload it and take risks, but I'd say 1650 on a 1588kg lift would be against the advice but likely safe.

Would I get under it? Yes, it locks out rather than just being hydraulic. It's probably safer than just the jack and 2 axle stands I normally use.

Why I wouldn't buy it is that it seems to lift from the pinch welds, and no part of me will ever jack my car from there. They're also not far off the cost on an actual lift.

The trouble with exceeding specified limits is that we just don't know what variability there might be between units due to manufacturing tolerances, and we don't know what the cumulative effect of repetitive use beyond the limit might be. Then there is the effect of temperature and corrosion over the life of the product. I know you were playing devil's advocate and I'm 95+% sure that it would be fine even with my 1800Kg 5 series. But still...

If I get crushed to death under my car, I want it to be a freak accident where my family can sue the manufacturer and get a nice payout to remember me by. I don't want them to remember me as a Darwin Award winner!

coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/23 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

The trouble with exceeding specified limits is that we just don't know what variability there might be between units due to manufacturing tolerances, and we don't know what the cumulative effect of repetitive use beyond the limit might be. Then there is the effect of temperature and corrosion over the life of the product. I know you were playing devil's advocate and I'm 95+% sure that it would be fine even with my 1800Kg 5 series. But still...

If I get crushed to death under my car, I want it to be a freak accident where my family can sue the manufacturer and get a nice payout to remember me by. I don't want them to remember me as a Darwin Award winner!

Well the crazy high margins are there to account specifically for those variables with an unimaginably safe clearance just in case. But you are absolutely right, as a mech engineer I wouldn't advise exceeding the limits of my product. But I would probably risk it myself for 50-100kg. For an 1800kg, not a chance 😂

ReMan

posted on 9/11/23 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Same with tyhese type of lifts.
Seen many at fairs etc, and Id be ok using them to do the brake or change a tyre, but just not sure i'd want to be under one with 2 tomes of car and an unknown weight distribution

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235276028991?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid= Cj0KCQiAo7KqBhDhARIsAKhZ4ujuGcnj9kPkxY553AvRu0ym9x9Gi3VB-AcJzjafMggYKh-nk-y3vfcaAj95EALw_wcB

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/11/23 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well that doesn't look stable at all -

Description
Description

A heavy front end and a light pickup bed, huge moment and a small footprint on the ground. Bare minimum that should be solidly connected to the ground.

coyoteboy

posted on 9/11/23 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Having hoiked my 370 up on a 2 post lift and found it massively nose heavy, those scare me. And that's a car that is meant to be close to 50:50 distribution.
perksy

posted on 13/11/23 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Well that doesn't look stable at all -

Description
Description

A heavy front end and a light pickup bed, huge moment and a small footprint on the ground. Bare minimum that should be solidly connected to the ground.

I don't think I'd be wanting to work under that...

UKKid35

posted on 6/3/24 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
BL-3500SLX

Only recently bought mine

Wish I'd been able to afford one years ago, but it cost more that the car it's lifting, even though I got it at a significant discount!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xof41KvHX48[/youtube]

Be sure to check the specs though

Lift point spread
Maximum: 50.5" (1,283 mm)
Minimum: 27" (686 mm)

I can't use it on my 928 because the lift points don't work, and also the 3500lb spec is right on the limit

Even though it's perfectly stable with the Smart Roadster as shown, I will probably reverse the orientation in future because of the 40:60 weight distribution

[Edited on 6/3/24 by UKKid35]

UKKid35

posted on 6/3/24 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Actually it's not as bad as I thought, the Roadster is 44:56
UKKid35

posted on 8/3/24 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
Kwik Lift

Worth mentioning that the very similar KwikLift is slightly more affordable than QuickJack

https://kwiklifts.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.