Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I bought a new Raw Striker (inc 1st track day with it)
bi22le

posted on 24/1/23 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a new Raw Striker (inc 1st track day with it)

A big moment for me. I love my current Striker, its an absolute weapon and has been faultless. I have owned it for something like 11 years, its been to the Nurburgring twice, many road miles and probably 25 track days. Its just starting to look a little tired but mainly I wanted something faster for track days (all I use it for now). So a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought this this.

Front
Front

Back
Back

Engine Bay
Engine Bay

I tried to do some digging on it a few weeks back. Mainly because the seller knew nothing about it. He bought it with NO HISTORY (and therefore I have no paperwork or folder of history, eek!), he was not into kit cars, had hardly driven it and basically liked the idea of combining the best bits of his MX5 race car and motorbikes into one. It was too much. I went and took a look at it, it wasn't everything I wanted but was about the right price and so bought it quite blind.

Its obviously a 4age Rotrex supercharged so hopefully 220bhp+ with the 4agze internals. I dont think its a TR Chassis (front rocker arms are under the chassis rails), I dont think it has had much committed use or care for the last 10 years as its got a lot of residual dirt and covered around 2000 miles in 10 years! Apparently it is a RAW ex-demo and does seem pretty well built with mostly sensible brackets and fitment of things but it does need a tidy up.

I collected it on 15th Jan and already had a track day booked for 21st Jan so I thought I would take the opportunity to use it as a shakedown instead of taking The Ol' Trusty One. It made for a busy week in between spending every night in the freezing garage with thermals on checking over the car. The day iself was very cold at Oulton Park. -4 on arrival and a delayed start while they cleared the snow and ice off. Noise testing was passed, 100dB with a 105dB static limit. Happy days, the 1st box ticked.

Then it was onto sighting laps. Sitting in Parc Ferme the water temps climbed and climbed. . . . then the engine cut out. . .great!!! As I was just in a queue I just sat there and let the temps drop again. They did, it started and then I went out on track. The temp climbed up to about 110DegC (!!!) a couple of corners in and I was just thinking "well a hose will pop off soon or something is going to go bang" then the thermostat must of unstuck and the temps dropped to 80degC and stayed around 90DegC for the rest of the day. Perfect!! Oil remained around 100DegC.

I came in after sighting laps, gave it 20 mins for the madmen in their Clios and Civics to move the snow sludge and let some steam off before I headed out. Suspension was hard so I softened that right off. Tyres pressures were all over the place, set them at 20PSI. Session after session it seemed to work well and have some decent poke. I don't think it has an LSD as I was slipping all over the place. I slowly pushed on a damp track getting more and more confidence in the car. The car ended up filthy!!

DS1
DS1

DS2
DS2

Overall, Im very happy. Lots of tweaks and improvements but it didn't blow up, didn't fall apart and I didn't crash in the snow!! Next thing is to prepare my blue car for sale, it needs some bits doing and a good clean tidy up, fresh MOT etc but it will have to go to make space for the red one. So, if anyone is considering a RAW Striker IRS ~165bhp with proven reliable then it will be up for sale in a couple of months.

Garden Ornament
Garden Ornament

Recent Front Right
Recent Front Right

Roll on 2023, thanks for reading. Comments, questions and advice welcome.

[Edited on 24/1/23 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

peter030371

posted on 24/1/23 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Looks cracking
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 25/1/23 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Looks nice mate . Other one has served you well .
yogibear1969

posted on 25/1/23 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, look a nice car...
Edd

Deckman001

posted on 26/1/23 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome !!

Very well done indeed.

Just a thought, if you fancy an occasional early sunday drive out for a run out finishing at a breakfast stop with several cars, message me and I'll get you into the group. It's normally a 7am meet point start and I normally get home to Croydon by midday, There are already a couple of 7's in your area that also attend.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.