Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Goodwood FOS for stag do, or other?
FASTdan

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Goodwood FOS for stag do, or other?

I am best man for my mate this year and thus tasked with organising his stag. He wants to do goodwood - which initially I though was a good plan but upon reading a bit I think it might be a bit too posh for a boozy stag weekend, unless combined with a night out in one of the local towns/cities - non of which seem particularly great?

What are peoples opinions on this? Clearly its no le-mans (done that twice for stag do's) and dont get me wrong, we're not going to be a mega lairy bunch, but if its a bit too stiff upper lip I'm not sure its the right choice....

If not then what other motorsport events in the UK would people suggest? Wedding is in August, so May/June/July time ideally. Le Mans at silverstone would be good but its very early on in the year.

Open to thoughts/ideas from the LCB collective I do know that if we do Goodwood I need to get it booked quite quickly!

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
carpmart

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
British GP Weekend on one of the campsites? I like Whittlebury Park myself.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

twybrow

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
There is plenty of scope to drink lots and stare at pretty girls at Goodwood FOS, but any laddish behaviour would be frowned upon... I think it is more a question of whether you are comfortable in that situation?

GP would be great, but it will be an expensive weekend.

I am also a best man this year, but annoyingly I have to organise a stag do in Las Vegas - FFS.

Browny
Junior Builder

Posts 32
Registered 6/6/07

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Space framed Fiat Seicento with zzr1400 engine.

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
We have previously stopped in both Chichester and Guildford. Chichester was ok, although I remember all the bars closing at 11am so we had to go to a nightclub outside of the town in a converted barn, it was much better than it sounds. Brighton is only an hour away, I've never been but this is meant to be a good night out.

http://www.diffordsguide.com/pubs-and-bars/area?q=brighton

pewe

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Silverstone Classic towards the end of July?
Some incredible machinery and racing, not too expensive and it's access all areas.
Went for the first time last year and deffo not to be missed.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

FASTdan

posted on 12/2/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
British GP would be good I am sure, but its a cost thing - especially for those who are perhaps not that into cars.

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
There is plenty of scope to drink lots and stare at pretty girls at Goodwood FOS, but any laddish behaviour would be frowned upon... I think it is more a question of whether you are comfortable in that situation?

GP would be great, but it will be an expensive weekend.

I am also a best man this year, but annoyingly I have to organise a stag do in Las Vegas - FFS.

Ok, so drinking possible, laddish behaviour not. I think thats ok and fine for the sort of guys going - what concerns me is if its really strict on the drinking? Are you allowed your own alchohol in? Thats perhaps not too critical, I guess a few heavily taxed pints in the venue you can live with, then the 'stag' shennanigans in the evening. Is there much in the way of evening entertainment at the venue? From what I've looked at so far perhaps not?

Browny will have a look at Chichester, Guildford and Brighton then - thanks for the suggestions.

Silverstone classic - not considered that Pewe, will look at that also. Is there a good mix of old and new 'ish' though? I'd enjoy the classic element but the majority of the lads going might be a bit more 'impreza' than cortina lol.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
twybrow

posted on 12/2/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Guildford is a surprisingly good place for a night out. Lots of attractive totty to ogle at, and enough variety of venues to keep you lot happy.
jps

posted on 12/2/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar quandry a couple of years ago - ended up ditching the idea of going to an event and just did a go-karting session then a beer festival....

Anyway - agree with the above re: lairiness at FOS. It's a fairly classy venue - lots of children about - plenty of families - I think you'd just feel a bit of a pillock if you were acting like you were in Blackpool on a Saturday evening...

Cars-wise, there is a section which is 'bling' stuff - Bugatti Veyron/latest Ferrari/Lambo - etc - which might appeal to the lads who are more Impreza than Cortina - but there is a lot of historic stuff at Goodwood - and a big part of the event is the fact that you are bascially wandering about a massive paddock - looking at stuff in between when it is blasting up the hill. Maybe get the wandering about out of the way in the morning before too many beers go down!

I think you could take booze in with you - I don't remember anyone searching my bag when i've been before - and it's all rather pricey once you are in!

will121

posted on 12/2/14 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
went last year as group of 5 blokes, staying on the camp site, easy access to plenty of beer but as said long as controlled behaviour no problem, evening entertainment 2 pubs adjacent FOS access one with outside loud bands so catering and expectation of element of lots of beer drinking.
however we were spoilt last year with great weather, don’t know what it would be like if you stayed off site or if it rained all weekend may be a bit of a damp squid for a stag doo then

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.