Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ecu getting wet
Matth93

posted on 31/8/15 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ecu getting wet

I have been having trouble with my indy cutting out and have found that the ecu seems to have been getting wet. It has got quite a build up of crud inside it. Does anyone know what would be best to clean it out with? I was thinking electrical contact cleaner but does anyone have a better suggestion?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/113424837@N03/tFAD9D
https://www.flickr.com/gp/113424837@N03/0X963F

mark chandler

posted on 31/8/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Tooth brush and methylated spirits should sort you out
gremlin1234

posted on 31/8/15 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I would take the boards off the metal backing plate, -but not separate the two boards themselves.
wash backing plates in sink
for the boards, make sure they are properly dry. (leave in radiator for 2 days) then brush with soft toothbrush.

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/8/15 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
proper electrical contact cleaner is meant for this and dries in a few minutes

looks like your ECU is badly located, maybe put it in a container

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matth93

posted on 31/8/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
That is what I thought. Yes it is located in a bad place right under the header tank but there's no extra wire to relocate it and nowhere else to put the header tank so I am going to put it into a container to keep it dry.
MikeRJ

posted on 31/8/15 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Contact cleaner may not dissolve the corrosion, it's certainly not designed to fix heavily corroded PCBs like this. It's worth a try, but it if not then use a toothbrush with warm water mixed with a mild detergent, followed by plenty of flushing with clean water and then use a hairdryer etc. to ensure everything is bone dry. You'll need to have the hair dryer on for 20-30 minutes to make sure there is no moisture left under components.

Putting the ECU inside a container is not a good idea as you will stop any airflow, and some of the components can get fairly warm. Look at extending the wiring loom if there isn't enough slack to relocate it.

[Edited on 31/8/15 by MikeRJ]

Matth93

posted on 31/8/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've given it a clean with electrical cleaner which seemed to take the majority of it off let it dry out and the car still runs I haven't been anywhere in it yet that'll have to wait for a drier day. I'm hoping this is going to cure it as it only played up on a damp /wet day, it looks like I'm going to have to relocate it away from the header tank for a start. The stuff on the board looked like dry antifreeze and the board itself doesn't look very bad so fingers crossed it'll be ok.
BenB

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Freezer bag and some silica gel sachets? Then open it up and give it a good clean? I'd get rid of the moisture as soon as possible...
coyoteboy

posted on 31/8/15 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
IIIEEEK! IPA, soak it in it, use a soft brush to get shut of the bits then leave it out to dry off. Then get some conformal coating spray, mask off anything you might want to replace/re-solder in future within reason, and spray the hell out of it with the conformal coating. That will waterproof it as best you're going to get inside the case. I'd then find an IP65 case for the outside but that could be tricky.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.