Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: supercharged hayabusa
sean951

posted on 11/1/05 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
supercharged hayabusa

i read on this forum a little while ago about someone supercharging an r1 motor for a caterham clone. could the same be done for the hayabusa? if so what would be the gains with the same mini type supercharger? ive fell in love with the idea of supercharging after seeing the ariel atom tested on top gear, what a mad car! i'd give my right nut for that car, not my left though.....thats my dominant
adampage

posted on 11/1/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
TTS

TTS do a supercharged kit which bolts on to the end of the engine as a replacement for the clutch cover I think, so no need for drive belts, etc.

£4500 though!

Go to - http://www.tts-performance.com/busasupercharged.php

Is that the one you were thinking of?

Adam.

adamhay

posted on 11/1/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
TTS have a supercharged Hayabusa Westfield in their premises (or they did a couple of weeks ago and it had been there a while). They do a kit using a rotrex supercharger which is far more efficient than the design used on a mini. It's basically a gear driven turbo so it's tiny and easy to package into a small car.
I was going to put one on a Busa engine in my Caterham but ended up going for a turbo instead because I couldn't fit the direct drive rotrex supercharger where it needed to go and I didn't fancy a belt driven one.
I think there's potentially a real benefit at higher power outputs with a supercharger as there is not lag. Now apparently, there is negligible lag with a small turbo, but once a bigger turbo is used for higher power outputs, lag becomes more of an issue.
My thinking was that with a light Caterham, 300+ bhp with a small turbo & no lag will be ample.

I think the supercharged busa motor has run faster drag bike times than a turbo'd motor in the ultimate street (or something) class this year although I am not sure how relevant this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

sean951

posted on 11/1/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen the TTS supercharger kit but at that price i would rather have a turbo system. I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to such a system, one that may not make as much power but still isnt to bad. The TTS kit is amazing, if i had the money for such a thing. but if i had that kind money, i would just buy a radical or atom and be done with it..4500pounds is about 8000 us dollars right?

[Edited on 11/1/05 by sean951]

Mark18

posted on 11/1/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you would get one any cheaper than a holeshot: http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/turbo_bike_hayabusa.asp

Mark

"I don't know what I may seem to the world. But as to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than the ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Isaac Newton

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adamhay

posted on 11/1/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mark18: That's the bike prices, cars are a bit more:
http://www.holeshotracing.co.uk/tuning/turbo_car_hayabusa.asp

Sean951: There are plenty of people in the US who do turbo Busa motors (for drag racing mainly) so if you're buying with the $, it would make more sense to buy from the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

phil_far

posted on 11/1/05 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you will get it cheaper if you go directly to MC Express, the company from which Holeshot buys all his stuff and sells it back to you.

I got a quote from them for a turbo kit for my Fireblade engine and it is about 15% cheaper

They are also willing to sell you bits and pieces rather than a complete kit. For a brand new turbo complete with the wastegate and blow off valve together with the airbox (which are the most critical itmes for a turbo system) they quoted £700. Now you can compare for yourself!!

Philip

tony9876

posted on 11/1/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is a hell of a lot more work than just bolting a turbo on though. Chasis rails need to be modified,intercooler,exhaust system,engine spacer gasket etc etc. To get a car converted to a possible 450bhp busa turbo your looking at around 7.5k
sean951

posted on 11/1/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
yes, building a car with a 450hp busa motor would be expensive.....but what could touch it in the same price range, forget that......what could compete with it period. But thats not really what i was looking to do, i may just build my own kit, i was just seeing what my options where. i vastly modified my porsche 944 turbo, so i was trying to go the supercharger route. damn, why do turbos have to be so efficient. looks like i will end up doing the turbo eventualy. first i have to start on the car though.
Gripenland

posted on 12/1/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_far

They are also willing to sell you bits and pieces rather than a complete kit. For a brand new turbo complete with the wastegate and blow off valve together with the airbox (which are the most critical itmes for a turbo system) they quoted £700. Now you can compare for yourself!!

I'm building a super cheap 400 hp turbo busa
If you keep below 400 hp you don't need to change any engine internals like, rods, pistons etc. And that will help keep cost down.

Turbo: Free (gift)
Intake plenum: Free (made by me)
Exhaust manifold: 80£ in material (made by me)
Fuel injection. Megasquirt 150£
Fuel injectors. 50£
Parts from Mc Xpress: 200£
Intercooler: ? 200£-ish

Help from friends who know about turbo charging busa engines: x bottles of whiskey

kokos-racing.com

Aloupol

posted on 12/1/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
In your bill you should count 3 or 4 spare engines....

Gripenland

posted on 12/1/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
In your bill you should count 3 or 4 spare engines....

...true....

kokos-racing.com

donut

posted on 12/1/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have'nt Holeshot Racing built a 650bhp busa engine!?!?!?! Acording to this dvd i have they like getting big power out these motors!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tony9876

posted on 13/1/05 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yes 650hp in a bike
There is not much Jack at holeshot doesnt know about the busa motor.He also holds the land speed record on a bike at 241 mph.
It is recommended anything over 250bhp the rods and pistons changed.The head will need to be removed and a spacer gasket fitted at the least unless je forged turbo pistons are used.
I looked into fitting a turbo to mine but thought better of it due to turbo lag etc. A big bore creates power right through the rev range and is a a lot more reliable. Even a big bore ,yoshi cams,gas flow,recut valves etc is around £3000 .
If you fancy doing a turbo without stronger rods look at the picture.The motor in the picture only had 250bhp. Rescued attachment blownmotor2.jpg
Rescued attachment blownmotor2.jpg

Gripenland

posted on 13/1/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony9876
It is recommended anything over 250bhp the rods and pistons changed.The head will need to be removed and a spacer gasket fitted at the least unless je forged turbo pistons are used.

One guy who helps me dynoed his busa at 670hp a fiew years ago and has also been involved in developing the kits for mc xpress. There are no forged pistons and rods in their 400- hp kits. I trust his experience. There are a fiew extra tricks to improve engine stability that are cheap to do. But those are not as good buissnes as new rods and pistons for engine tuners

Naturally compresion ratio will need to be reduced. I will use an 1.6mm alu cylinder base gasket for this.

kokos-racing.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.