Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zzr1400 engine
richard munnis

posted on 16/12/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Zzr1400 engine

Hi Folks looking at a Westfield with a zzr1400 in it,any draw backs with them and if used for hard trackdays and sprints does it have to be dry stumped or is a aqua boost tank ok Thanks for the replays cheers Richard
daniel mason

posted on 16/12/17 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard of a few with servere oiling issues.
But I have never seen the specific installs.
Most issues can be rectified,reduced or removed with correct installation,cooling and sump design!

I also know there's a few which have been run on the hills and done ok,making good power (1500cc busa power).
I'd speak with andy Bates and see what he thinks as he's seen it all in the past.
My choice would be the 1000rr blade. And if hillclimbimg is be looking at a single seater with a 1000cc lump over a 1400cc westy

sam919

posted on 16/12/17 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking engine, try getting in contact with Bob Spencer they race one very successfully in a locost, wipes the floor with most.
jossey

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Get it dry sumped

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
It might be just me,but I don't like the way the engines installed parallel to the top chassis rail,instaead of square in the car.its like how mk did theirs and never liked it.

[Edited on 16/12/17 by daniel mason]

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
You need some angle on the engine at least 10deg so the uj works correctly, on the prop shaft,if it was striaght the uj would not work as it should, hence reason that way in the mk's follow e top chassis rail as that's 10deg, hope that makes sense?

Zx14 strong engine make good power 200 bhp some cars run successfully on a billet sump, and also some installed accusump systems, I ran a billet sump and no issues, not many dry sumps out there for his engine,but plenty of grunt, I suppose it depends what the car will be used for and if slicks etc, if a very skilled driver it my then get oil surge issues,

[Edited on 16/12/17 by INDY BIRD]

daniel mason

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can the angle not be achieved by getting the motor as low as possible in relation to the diff?
The angle is massive compared to most.
If you look at an arion chassis.the motor sits far more square than that zzr1400 install. And Andy knows how to build reliable race cars!

[Edited on 16/12/17 by daniel mason]

INDY BIRD

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
That would depend on the engine and where the output shaft comes out, but sometimes could be possible,
daniel mason

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
There's an mk with a 1000rr blade and that Westy on the same page. The Mk's motor sits squarer than that Westy install. The westfields generally sit much squarer than that,but like you say,it may be for packaging reasons
INDY BIRD

posted on 16/12/17 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck finding a new car, as Daniel said also do t right off the cbr engine, they are also very good and reliable too, although not as powerful as the zx14 a fair bit lighter some 30 kg lighter,
twybrow

posted on 17/12/17 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
The large capacity makes a big difference if you are on the heavier side, or you want to carry a passenger and not take such a big hit in performance. I went from a 1litre bike engine to a ZX12 and the extra grunt was very evident, despite a 20kg increase in weight.

The ZX14 is a beast, but they are pricey so you may want to think about what you would do if it went pop.

sam919

posted on 17/12/17 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Don't believe they need anything more than a baffled shorter sump, the height difference from the diff nose will give the angle needed without having to offset the ump too much. It's the choice engine over a busa, mind you the busa only has a keen array of tuning spares and dodgy output figures from likes of radical.

You need a suitable aftermarket ECU ,if not running standard and want mapping I bought a MOTEC M84 from a guy who found it couldn't run his ZXR14... Not sure the capability it was missing.

Tony Law can direct you to what exhaust system is best suited he's supplied parts for an ZX14 install I know of thats very quick.

It would be my choice of larger cc engine, although I do have a 12 CBR lump in my race car and won't be changing it :-)

richard munnis

posted on 17/12/17 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Race car

Thank you lads for the replys very much appreciated think will wait and look for a car with a 1000cbrr engine in it ,like the one currently on sale on EBay but think it's expensive due to not road registered once again thank you Richard
daniel mason

posted on 17/12/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Are you racing or sprinting/hillclimbing Richard?
Some of the 1000cc bike engines 7 type cars on the uk sprints are extremely light and welll developed with huge amounts of money invested!
If hillclimbing or sprinting something like a Jedi will get you the performance you require at a reasonable cost.or likewise some of the highly developed bikesports spires etc are extremely quick!

richard munnis

posted on 17/12/17 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Race car

Looking a car for trackdays,sprinting not hill climbs and the odd race ,had a lovely Hayabusa Mnr but to be honest but dont like driving them on roads just like them on the track

[Edited on 17/12/17 by richard munnis]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.