Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi Torq Starter or Battery
nickm

posted on 24/9/22 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Torq Starter or Battery

Afternoon Folks

Fitted some phase 2 road cams to a 1.6 zetec se with Jenvey 42mm dth tbs in the spring and now i have an intermittent starting problem.
Mostly happens when the engine is warm i am assuming its raised the compression slightly and the starter/battery is not man enough to turn it over ?
What do people think starter or battery or both

The car runs like a dream though, it pulls like a train after it was r roaded 144hp tune (it made 148 max but has a sensible road map) and a flat line of torque between 2500-6000rpm of 127-129.

Thanks

Nick M

theconrodkid

posted on 24/9/22 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
first things to check would be is the battery, right size, any good and fully charged, loose / dirty cable conexions esp the earth. then , how close is the starter to the exhaust, heat can cause them problems

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 24/9/22 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
one test you could do. have a jump starter along with the current battery to see if it really goes wizz.

but do check the cables and 'earths' before anything.

nickm

posted on 26/9/22 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Pretty sure all connections are fine will have to look at CCA and possibly uprate the battery power as a first resort.

Nick M

coyoteboy

posted on 29/9/22 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Does it sound like it turns over slowly? What is the ECU/Fuel/Spark control system? Could it be something as simple as being below a cranking threshold on an ECU? Normally warm cranking is easier.

nickm

posted on 29/9/22 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
The ecu is emerald and it has been rolling roaded.
Pretty sure it is lack of grunt fm either batt or starter when it wont go there is nothing no cranking whatsoever when it does start you can hear that the batt/starter is finding it harder work than prior to the cam change you wouldnt think 0.1mm extra of steel lobe would make that difference !
First will be to up the CCA and see what i get

Nick M

gremlin1234

posted on 29/9/22 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
as Coyotboy asks, what is the mode of failure?
does the engine turn about a quarter to half turn, then just stop?
if so... I suspect the engine is firing before tdc, and then stalling the starter.

coyoteboy

posted on 30/9/22 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickm
Hi
The ecu is emerald and it has been rolling roaded.
Pretty sure it is lack of grunt fm either batt or starter when it wont go there is nothing no cranking whatsoever when it does start you can hear that the batt/starter is finding it harder work than prior to the cam change you wouldnt think 0.1mm extra of steel lobe would make that difference !
First will be to up the CCA and see what i get

Nick M

Nah you have a bigger issue than just increased compression, if it isn't turning over at all you either have a duff battery or really dodgy connections (including all contactor points through the system such as any of those in a starter. Your starter shouldn't struggle to reach 2-300rpm.

SJ

posted on 30/9/22 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
My Zetec BT did this on the standard starter when hot. A new geared starter fixed it for £60. Zero problems since
Kdempsie

posted on 8/11/22 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Sylva J15 and had had the same problems you describe on my earlier Sylva Mojo. I bought a hi-torque starter for my J15 to solve it, the battery is fairly big and all cables short and big diameter / capacity.

It didn't solve the issue! My problem is the starter getting too hot because there is not enough engine compartment cooling and a lot of hot air blasted up the tunnel.

My symptoms are that it won't turn over at all, until it cools a bit. It cools pretty quickly, especially if I open the engine lid.

I intend to stop the hot air blast up the tunnel but it only happens when it's hot days and hard(ish) driving so I haven't made it a priority.

Keith.

nickm

posted on 8/11/22 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith
Think it was a faulty alternator in the end but have had limited running since changing it, that was also not helping in charging the battery i hate car electrics i can make it all work though without fully understanding it !
Even after fitting the alternator i cant understand why the circuit diagram shows it being earthed to the engine but its secured to the head and block by 3 steel M10 mounting bolts !! but its started everytime and is charging the batt at 13.7v

Ta

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.