Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing Point for Track Days
ChrisJ15

posted on 2/10/22 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Towing Point for Track Days

I built my J15 for road and track use.

I still haven't made it to the track yet because a friend who is also a marshal tells me I can't rely on the roll bar hoops as a front towing point.

I cant fix omething to the front most chassis point because if it was towed by anything more that 1" off the ground it would push up the front clam and wreck it.

I need to put something behind the mesh of the grill or cut a hole to one side of it but the subframe I would have to uild behind it would be huge.

I just wondered what other J15, J16 or Riot owners have done to solve this?

nick205

posted on 3/10/22 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Not a J15 builder/owner, but can you make use of something like this...

tow-strap-nick205
tow-strap-nick205

ttalps2000

posted on 3/10/22 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
on my Stylus i use the roll over bar, only option i have because of the same reasons! Not been a problem when i had to be recovered at castle Coombe this year
ChrisJ15

posted on 3/10/22 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

tow-strap-nick205
tow-strap-nick205

Thanks Nick. The problem with a strap like this is that the chassis is such a long way back under the front clam that it would push the clam up and break something!

ChrisJ15

posted on 3/10/22 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
on my Stylus i use the roll over bar, only option i have because of the same reasons! Not been a problem when i had to be recovered at castle Coombe this year

Hmm, interesting. My friends argument was that towing on the roll bar would tend to pull the front of the car down which would cause issues when in gravel traps but looks like all marshals don't agree with him!

ttalps2000

posted on 3/10/22 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
dont go near the kitty litter then :p

Most tracks dont have them now i think anyway!

nick205

posted on 3/10/22 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisJ15
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

tow-strap-nick205
tow-strap-nick205

Thanks Nick. The problem with a strap like this is that the chassis is such a long way back under the front clam that it would push the clam up and break something!

Noted - as I say, I'm not a J15 builder/owner so not familiar with the chassis/bodywork layout.

From the feedback above where "ttalps2000" has had his towed using the roll over bar, it may not be a problem any way. Additionally can you check with the track at the time of booking what their rules are. Have a couple of photos of your car ready to email for certainty as well.

ttalps2000

posted on 3/10/22 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
they state in the drivers briefing to have them fitted before going on track, apart from goodwood who said not too, if your in the wall its no good in the front of the car! valid point! Please note my roll over bar is quite high so if i did roll it, it actually does something and protects me, so sits higher than my screen anyway
roadrunner

posted on 3/10/22 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not weld a threaded bar on the front of the chassis and chop it to length just behind the body work.
Then you can drill a smallish hole through the body so a towing eye can be fitted.

pigeondave

posted on 3/10/22 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Can you not weld a threaded bar on the front of the chassis and chop it to length just behind the body work.
Then you can drill a smallish hole through the body so a towing eye can be fitted.

Like this but line the hole up with one of the lower wishbone bolts and pull from that?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sanzomat

posted on 3/10/22 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Hmm, interesting. My friends argument was that towing on the roll bar would tend to pull the front of the car down which would cause issues when in gravel traps but looks like all marshals don't agree with him!

If that's a real problem just do tracks that don't have gravel traps. I mostly do Castle Combe as its local to me and no gravel traps there. The marshals there are great and take a lot of care when attaching the tow rope. Neither of my cars have proper towing eyes. The 7 is easy enough to just fix to a wishbone mount. The GTM also uses the wishbone mount but quite a long reach back under the clam. They carry a soft rope for such occasions rather than use the metal hook. I've also done Thruxton and a couple of airfield tracks and no gravel traps at those either.

ChrisJ15

posted on 3/10/22 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think the problem with the threaded bar or hole to allow access to the wishbone bolt is that if it isnt pulled 100% straight any sideways forces would wreck the front clam.
JimSpencer

posted on 5/10/22 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Assuming the roll hoop is properly secured.. then towing with it is the defacto method of pulling an open car, the towing vehicle is normally way taller than what we're in anyhow.

When it's happened to me.. the rope/strap being above your head allows you to tension it as its pulled..

ttalps2000

posted on 5/10/22 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
i would be very concerned if the roll over bar became detached whilst towing a light weight car lol!

But yes at Coombe when i was towed off i could tension the strap that they were towing with and had no issues, other than the embarasement!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.