Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pond Uv Electronic Ballast needed ?
Deckman001

posted on 28/3/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pond Uv Electronic Ballast needed ?

Hi all, I've got a second hand Bitron 15 that needs a new starter (main Guts inside), Oase want £70 plus delivery for a new one, I've been told you can swap the bits for a 25w set up, is this true, looks likely having taken it apart, but anyone replaced this sort of thing before and know a cheaper supplier of the starter ?Original is made in Germany !

Cheers
Jason

caber

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Jason, most UV pond UV systems use what is basically a fluorescent lamp so the gear for an equivalent wattage standard fluorescent lamp will almost certainly work. This can be sourced from any other fluorescent fitting, have a rake around B&Q or a friendly electrical wholesaler should be able to help

Caber

skodaman

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I know of people that have made their own uv's using normal aquarium starter units and bodged them to fit into the top of the filter box. Just don't look at the tube.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
FROM WHAT i REMember replacing t he TUBE IN mine wasthe internals looks very MUCH like a reglar flourescnet lamp internals.

skodaman

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get a complete unit for less than £70 anyway. Try pricing up a TMC one.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get a complete unit for less than £70 anyway. Try pricing up a TMC one.

Skodaman

Deckman001

posted on 28/3/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
yeah the unit does look simple, I just wasn't sure about the technical side of it seeing as it's made in Germany, I translated the tech info and got well and truly confused with all the info it was giving !! it was saying it has several tyes of curcuits inside and I wasn't sure if it was just a std type or really tech seeing as the manufacturer wanted £70 for a new one .

Does it need to be a special unit for 25w uv or will any 25w flourescent unit do??

Cheers

Jason

brynhamlet

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
just to confuse you more anything that could come into to contact to water needs to be IP67, i.e. for the unitiated has to be totally waterproof. This is unlikely in homebuilds.Water plus electricity equals painfull consequences or even death

Be carefull

Deckman001

posted on 28/3/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
he he, yeah no worries I play with low voltage stuff for a living, 240 stuff is bigger sparks hense the questions !!

Have just re read the original bits, it says it's an electronic ballast /starter, this is to avoid having to have one of them plug in starter thingies I guess, so nothing special other than electronic version is required ??

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.