Board logo

Fiber Glass work/ Repairs & full resprays on Gelcoat
jester - 11/9/17 at 09:02 PM

Hi

Anybody no of a good company that does fiber glass work/ Repairs & full resprays on Gelcoat

Have had one price so far was silly money just for the wheel arch work :roll:

Area Oxford/Wiltshire. But if there good will be able to travel on a trailer

Charlie_Zetec - 11/9/17 at 10:26 PM

Two main places to try for this;
a) your local friendly chandlery/marina, who should be able to recommend someone, or
b) a commercial vehicle repair centre.

If done properly, you shouldn't have to repaint - a good repairman (or woman, I'm not sexist!) should be able to match the gelcoat colour, assuming it's a standard RAL / Pantone / British Standard colour, or a manufacturer specific eg. Ford glacier white, Mercedes arctic white etc.. Only if it's a large repair area should they suggest painting to try and blend it in.

There's a couple of questions you should also ask whoever you speak to - basically, most panels are made with polyester resin and glass mat, often with a tissue surface, and gelcoat finish. "New" polyester resin doesn't take as well to "old" polyester resin, so my suggestion would be to ask them for an epoxy-based repair. Any materials man worth their money will know what you mean.

If you want any extra information, then please feel free to drop me a U2U. Just sorry I couldn't recommend anyone specific!

Sam_68 - 12/9/17 at 07:19 AM

You might try Steve at C12 Composites (Chippenham in Wiltshire) or Westgate Composites near Newbury for the GRP repair.

Camber Dave - 12/9/17 at 07:46 AM

I can also recommend Andy Westgate and Steve at C12

jester - 12/9/17 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Two main places to try for this;
a) your local friendly chandlery/marina, who should be able to recommend someone, or
b) a commercial vehicle repair centre.

If done properly, you shouldn't have to repaint - a good repairman (or woman, I'm not sexist!) should be able to match the gelcoat colour, assuming it's a standard RAL / Pantone / British Standard colour, or a manufacturer specific eg. Ford glacier white, Mercedes arctic white etc.. Only if it's a large repair area should they suggest painting to try and blend it in.

There's a couple of questions you should also ask whoever you speak to - basically, most panels are made with polyester resin and glass mat, often with a tissue surface, and gelcoat finish. "New" polyester resin doesn't take as well to "old" polyester resin, so my suggestion would be to ask them for an epoxy-based repair. Any materials man worth their money will know what you mean.

If you want any extra information, then please feel free to drop me a U2U. Just sorry I couldn't recommend anyone specific!

Thanks for info.

Thats all worth knowing the kit car is about 18 years old and still not yet on the road

All most there now

jester - 12/9/17 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
You might try Steve at C12 Composites (Chippenham in Wiltshire) or Westgate Composites near Newbury for the GRP repair.

Thanks for the company names will give them a call

jester - 12/9/17 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Camber Dave
I can also recommend Andy Westgate and Steve at C12

Thats good to no second recommendations

Thanks All