Board logo

Incoming Phone Call Blockers
motorcycle_mayhem - 20/5/14 at 02:05 PM

A question for those who know about such things - is there an incoming phone call blocker device that will reject any number that my BT landline recognises as 'Unavailable' and/or ' Withheld'?
I've seen some (not so cheap) BT phones on sale that will block numbers that you can (simply?) add to a list, BUT does that list include 'Unavailable' and 'Withheld' as recognisable numbers?, if you get my drift.

Do these things work???????????

Any other solutions welcome, apart from pulling out the line! The endless scam and spam calls are all on 'Withheld' and 'Unavailable' numbers (bar a few that are instantly recognisable - the 'Vault' and related marketing/virus/etc. scams) that can presumably added to a blocking list.

minitici - 20/5/14 at 03:09 PM

Just got a BT 7610 Nuisance call blocker phone/answer machine.
It can be set to block withheld, no caller ID, payphone and/or international calls.

If any of these types are set to block then they are diverted to your answering machine.
That way if it was a real call, a message can be left.

You also have the option to block specific numbers - if they phone they don't get the option to leave a message.

You need to subscribe to caller display - I got a year free when I upgraded and signed up to my plan for another year.

I can also now cancel my £1.75 per month for 1571.

Phone from BT was £38.98.

Smoking Frog - 20/5/14 at 03:57 PM

I got a answer phone a few years back and only pick up if I know them, anybody else can leave a message. The BT one sounds good though.

Not Anumber - 20/5/14 at 04:45 PM

Whatever you do dont buy one from a company called The Telephone Restriction Service.
They just tried to charge my blind and ancient dad £ 90 for a Pro Call Blocker device The device is perfectly ok in itself but retails for less than £ 20 on Ebay - and does rather need to be used by someone who can actually see the thing. Their business model appears to rely on people mistaking them for the (free) Telephone Preference Service. There are some dodgy wankers about out there.

motorcycle_mayhem - 20/5/14 at 05:49 PM

Thanks guys. It's the 'dodgy (insert politically incorrect descriptive here)' that I'm trying to stop pestering me.

Tesco/Asda/Other_Big_Profiteers offer the BT range, so I'll take miniciti's advice and have a careful look. I don't need an answering machine, just a spiv/scammer/scum firewall, so should be even cheaper. Just wanted to hear from someone who actually utilised one, to say it works.

I do have call ID (a free thing), I don't have 1571 (or want it), I just want to stop the shite.
TPS seems to be as useful as a politician.

907 - 20/5/14 at 05:50 PM

Also be careful when blocking a withheld number.

My doctors surgery comes up "withheld" for instance, so that call to tell you your test results are OK could be missed.

Cheers,
Paul G

geoff shep - 21/5/14 at 09:15 PM

BT7610 is good. You can select individual numbers to be blocked, but there is only a 10-number capability, or certain categories - like withheld, international etc. The answering machine bit is integral as some calls can leave messages, some can't. We block known nuisance numbers and don't answer unknowns or withers - if they are genuine they will leave a message.

There is also this - callblocker

David Jenkins - 22/5/14 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by geoff shep
There is also this - callblocker

I have one of those beasties - it's an early model so maybe not perfect, but it does chop off most unwanted calls. It isn't blocking 'withheld' calls, but we just let them go to the answering machine - if it's a genuine call then they can leave a message. 99.99% of the time they just disconnect when they get the machine...

Sam_68 - 22/5/14 at 06:37 PM

BT themselves offer blocking of anonymous calls for a small monthly fee.

I assume you have also registered with the Telephone Preference Service? If not, you should - 99% of companies that make nuisance calls respect it.

I can't remember the last time I had a 'spam' phone call!

johnH20 - 22/5/14 at 07:04 PM

Hi Sam, your lucky, been with TPS for years but most of the spam seems to come from India these days - TPS no good. I also am seeking a solution to the OPs problem. Don't answer and call back seems the best though inconvenient for family and friends.