Board logo

North oxon/south northants meets?
DIY Si - 4/7/06 at 06:52 PM

Just wandering if there are any others people local to the above area? ie anyone live between oxford and northampton? The normal oxon meet is too far away at roughly 1.5 hrs drive and the northants meet is a similar(ish) distance away.

Dave Ashurst - 4/7/06 at 07:08 PM

I live near Gaydon, which is approx 30 miles from Buckingham or Bicester.

DIY Si - 4/7/06 at 07:11 PM

Well that's 2 of us then! There must be more people round this way? I live half way between banbury and daventry.

the_fbi - 4/7/06 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I live half way between banbury and daventry.

Woodford Halse ?
Looked at a load of houses there in the past.

DIY Si - 4/7/06 at 07:40 PM

Aye, that's me. Well one of the houses anyway.

martinste - 4/7/06 at 07:40 PM

Make that 3. I am in Banbury. When not at evil work.

DIY Si - 4/7/06 at 07:44 PM

Congratulations, you've just added 50% extra to the members in the area! Those who do live in the area, fancy having a localish meet somewhere round here? I've got no objections to a 30/40 min or so drive, but any longer can be a bit much if it gets dark. My lights aren't the best at night yet. And having a bec with a micron can makes things a little noisy to.

bug1 - 4/7/06 at 09:21 PM

Hi make that 4 but my cars not on the road yet and won't be for a wile (bicester)

Dave Ashurst - 4/7/06 at 09:29 PM

Yep, I'm well up for that, work permitting.

Actually I live closer to Southam than Gaydon and I see you're just down the road from Boddington reservoir. Know it well. So we're neighbours!

Are you aware of the S Birmingham meetings? They do move around a lot but sometimes meet reasonably close by. Last month's meeting was at the Castle in Edgehill - which you've got to admit is pretty local!!
(Keep your eye on JAG's posts for a local one.)

Meanwhile perhaps see you soon then.

regards
Dave

JUD - 4/7/06 at 09:34 PM

One more here. Based outside Chipping Norton.

Seems as though somewhere around Banbury would be a good central location. Maybe one of the villages surrounding it? Bloxham - or maybe something to the north? Would need sensible parking for non-reversing BECs!

What days/times do people have in mind?

Cheers

Martin

the_fbi - 4/7/06 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bug1
Hi make that 4 but my cars not on the road yet and won't be for a wile (bicester)

Ditto and ditto (Launton)

Not much needs doing to mine, but tis taking ages due to work and not managing my time on the car well

Dingz - 4/7/06 at 11:13 PM

There is a small group of Robin hoods and locosts which meet at the Star and Garter at Chelveston nr Rushden on second sunday of the month at 12:00 if you are nearby.

jollygreengiant - 5/7/06 at 04:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
There is a small group of Robin hoods and locosts which meet at the Star and Garter at Chelveston nr Rushden on second sunday of the month at 12:00 if you are nearby.

Would that be one of your group that got waved at by a strnge man in a purple Mondeo on sunday (2nd) along wellingborough road in Rushden then?

DIY Si - 5/7/06 at 03:32 PM

I didn't realise the south brum meet moved around. Or came this far south. However for those locals, when would be your prefered time/day? Whilst Banbury is fairly central I think a village pub would be a better bet. Any opinions on this?

greggors84 - 5/7/06 at 08:18 PM

When the car is up and running, banbury wouldnt be too far for me to travel.

APR - 5/7/06 at 08:24 PM

hi all
i am just out side Aylesbury if you meet closer to bicester adz h and myself would be able to make that
Adrian

scutter - 7/7/06 at 05:13 PM

I'd pop up from Witney (once i've rebuilt the carbs), It's only a 30 min drive to banbury.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 7/7/06 by scutter]

DIY Si - 7/7/06 at 10:48 PM

Since it seems that most people live to the south(ish) of banbury, can anyone recommend a suitable pub? It can be in banbury if required, but the local boy morons/racers might get upset. As may the local plod. The traffic cops don't like cars that go faster than theirs do. Places that I can think of are (in no order)
New Inn, Middleton Cheney (nice garden, food),
Joiner's Arms, Bloxham (haven't been in a while, but good food),
what ever the pub in Deddington's called. Nice looking place and has a village square thrown in,
There's probably dozens of places I've forgotten so feel free to add to the list, or vote in favour of one of the above.

the_fbi - 8/7/06 at 09:19 AM

I know quite a few clubs (Mini, TVR, Aston Martin, Lotus and loads more) use The Green Man inbetween Brackley and Silverstone on the A43.

Great access from M1/M40, large car park and has a Travel Inn (now Premier Lodge) next door for the people who need/want to stay over.

DIY Si - 8/7/06 at 10:31 AM

Good point. I'd forgotten about there. Also just down the road from the circuit. Anyone know what the place is like, since I've never been there?

the_fbi - 8/7/06 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Good point. I'd forgotten about there. Also just down the road from the circuit. Anyone know what the place is like, since I've never been there?

Its excellent.

Great food and not expensive.

ps. Add MG OC and Audi Quattro owners clubs to the earlier list too.

scutter - 8/7/06 at 11:32 AM

Would this be the place?
MAP

If so thats a 45-60 min drive from mine, do able in good weather.

ATB Dan.

the_fbi - 8/7/06 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Would this be the place?
MAP

If so thats a 45-60 min drive from mine, do able in good weather.

ATB Dan.

Yip and for the hotel.

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=24218

Cheffy - 8/7/06 at 12:50 PM

I'm in Woodstock, North Oxon. The wife works near Towcester and my daughter lives in Wellingborough so I'm pretty familiar with the North Oxon/South Northants area. Would definately be interested in meeting up (work permitting). Green Man at Brackley sounds good.

Not on the road yet so would be going in the trusty old works tin top if anybody from round here needed a lift (Dan, give me a shout if you don't get your carbs done and need a lift - you're only ten mins from me)

Martin.

[Edited on 8/7/06 by Cheffy]

JUD - 8/7/06 at 02:47 PM

Green Man works for me too. Any thoughts on days/times?

Martin

DIY Si - 8/7/06 at 02:58 PM

I'm guesing more people would be available at the weekend? Or do most have family etc commitments then? Could make a nice afternoon out at the weekend, or evening meal during the week? Personally I'm easy () as I finish work at 4.30 latest.

the_fbi - 8/7/06 at 05:25 PM

Mines not on the road yet, but I'd love to come along to mooch about other peoples builds.

Weekday evenings works for me.

scutter - 8/7/06 at 05:54 PM

I'd say an weekday evening would be best for me, with possible BBQ's and stuff at weekends so the family can get involved.

ATB Dan.

Cheffy - 8/7/06 at 06:42 PM

Yep, weekday for me too. I'm a chef and work pretty much every weekend. I'm usually off on Wednesday's.

Mart.

Cheffy - 8/7/06 at 07:36 PM

Username = Cheffy

quote:

I'm a chef

doh......nothing like stating the obvious!!!

Mart.

JUD - 8/7/06 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scutter
I'd say an weekday evening would be best for me, with possible BBQ's and stuff at weekends so the family can get involved.

ATB Dan.

Sounds good, but I don't finish work at 16:30 like some! I would say 19:00-19:30 would be a good time for me. Wednesdays would be OK for me too.

Weekends would be a laugh. My wife would have to come in the tin top as she thinks the MK is a little unsubtle and generates "shag hair" very quickly! My son likes the car (see avatar) - can barely see out though. My daughter point blank refuses to go in it!

Cheffy - where do you do your "cheffing"? Somewhere in Woodstock or further afield?

Martin

Cheffy - 9/7/06 at 07:37 AM

Hi Martin,

Blenheim Palace.

Since 1985. Well, except for a 6 year sabatical between 1990 and 1996. You a Chef as well?

Cheers,

Mart.

PS Sorry for the post hi-jack.

DIY Si - 9/7/06 at 11:42 AM

Right then, seems wednesday nights are the most popular option. Would people want once, twice a month etc? Ie first/last wednesday of the month? Also, does anyone have a big garden for BBQs?

Cheffy - 9/7/06 at 11:51 AM

We (the Oxford lot) currently meet on the second Tuesday of the month. As it looks like there's a few of us (myself, Dan/Scutter, Chris/Greggors) who would be interested in attending a North Oxon/South Northants meet as well it might be an idea to seperate them out a bit. Wot about last Wednesday of the month?

Mart.

DIY Si - 9/7/06 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like a plan. So then, how many takers would there be for the last wednesday of this month? That would be the 26th.

Cheffy - 9/7/06 at 12:42 PM

Yep, should be okay. Having said that I bet I end up having to work now!!!

Mart.

JUD - 9/7/06 at 02:55 PM

The 26th should be OK for me. The only thing that may stop me being there is work related travel (no I'm not a Chef - more of a glorified salesman ).

Should be able to make 19:00-19:30.

Do have quite a large garden - but need to vet you lot to weed out the nutters before I invite you to my house!!

Martin

Cheffy - 9/7/06 at 03:08 PM

quote:

Do have quite a large garden - but need to vet you lot to weed out the nutters before I invite you to my house!!

Wibble, wibble,wibble, fnar,fnar, ooer missus!!!

Dunno what you mean Martin

Mart.

PS. The Green Man on the A43 then?

[Edited on 9/7/06 by Cheffy]

DIY Si - 9/7/06 at 04:16 PM

Yup, Green Man, A43 near Brackley/Silverstone. Shall we say 7.30 for 8?

Cheffy - 9/7/06 at 06:10 PM

Yep, works for me.

Mart.

JUD - 9/7/06 at 07:06 PM

Sounds good to me.

Who else is up for it, and what vehicles are you all bringing? I'll be in the MK so long is it isn't peeing down/likely to pee down. Will give me a chance to try the lights out - first stint of night driving

Martin

chris.russell - 12/7/06 at 04:17 PM

looks like i will be able to make the 26th

greggors84 - 12/7/06 at 05:03 PM

Yep sounds good to me too, hopefully will be in the MK, fingers crossed!

scutter - 12/7/06 at 06:27 PM

I'll be driving the Locost with Martin in the passenger seat. I'll drive evne if there's a chance of rain, but I haven't told Martin yet
ATB Dan.

Dave Ashurst - 13/7/06 at 08:29 PM

I'd love to be there but we'll be away on holiday that week. Perhaps see you next time, if not before.
Have a good one.
Dave

Cheffy - 13/7/06 at 09:11 PM

quote:

I'll drive evne if there's a chance of rain, but I haven't told Martin yet

You have now!

Any idea how a raised umbrella might effect the aerodynamics of a Locost?

Martin

k33ts - 16/7/06 at 08:27 PM

well be along,
havent had the car out much lately with newborn and stuff, time to make up for lost time

Trev D - 17/7/06 at 08:45 PM

Me to

DIY Si - 17/7/06 at 08:51 PM

Cool. Always wanted a closer nose round your car.

DIY Si - 23/7/06 at 08:17 PM

Any further takers for the inaugrial (?) meet? So far we have
Cheffy
Jud
chris.russell
greggors84
scutter
k33ts
Trev D.
Any further takers? Just so i can ring the green man and let them know how much of the carpark we'll be taking up.

DavidM - 24/7/06 at 12:00 AM

I'll be following Trev down, subject to weather.
I'll ring you Tuesday Trev.

David

scutter - 25/7/06 at 04:23 PM

Just a quick question, are we all eating together there? or should I grab something before we set off.
It's looking wet so bring something waterproof.

ATB Dan.

DIY Si - 25/7/06 at 05:16 PM

Good point that. Depends how many want to eat/ how much spare dosh you've got. I'm up for eating, but we wo't be there until 7.30-8 ish, so may make the evening quite long.

scutter - 25/7/06 at 07:14 PM

I'm easy, (apparently) sit down or bar foods good.

See you tomorrow. Dan

JUD - 25/7/06 at 08:24 PM

HMMMM

Bl00dy weather - I will be in the tin-top if it is peeing down. Dan, I can take Cheffy back to Woodstock if your car fills up with water!

Happy with/without food. I'll see what the concensus is when I get there. Bar food would probably be the better option than a full blown sit down.

Cheers,

Martin

Praying for a bit more sunshine

[Edited on 25/7/06 by JUD]

DIY Si - 25/7/06 at 09:24 PM

Bar food seems to be the general idea then. I'll possibly be in the indy regardless of weather. Depends if the missus wants to take her car or not really.

scutter - 26/7/06 at 10:00 PM

Well great to meet everyone, only one small hitch on the way home as the handbrake balance bar slipped off the cables and rattled about on the propshaft( bloody loud it is too)

north oxon meet
north oxon meet

noth oxon meet2
noth oxon meet2

north oxon meet3
north oxon meet3

Looking forward to the next one. ATB Dan

JUD - 26/7/06 at 10:18 PM

Well, my headlights work - pretty well too!

Good to meet everybody - we'll have to do a BBQ one weekend - eh Cheffy ?

Cheers,

Martin

DIY Si - 26/7/06 at 10:27 PM

You can see a suprisingly long way with my lights too! Just a shame all the people going the other way have even better/brighter lights.

Cheffy - 27/7/06 at 02:38 PM

Excellent night last night, good to meet up with everybody.

Re BBQ: One or two people mentioned last night about getting together again next month, and the idea of getting together for a BBQ was mentioned before last nights meet.

I work at Blenheim Palace and have a house inside the park with a fair bit of parking space in a nice quiet spot - ideal for browsing round the cars. I'm quite happy to organise a BBQ at my place if others are interested. I'm away from 11th - 25th August so the earliest date we could go for would be Wednesday 30th August (work and weather permitting).

I know this is going to be easier for the Oxford based lads than the Northants ones so I was just trying to get an idea of how many would be interested. Let me know what you think and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Martin.

PS. Thanks for the lift Dan, excellent - the Missus is still telling her mates about it!

chris.russell - 27/7/06 at 04:08 PM

Good to see everyone last night, even if it was only for an hour or so

cheffy - bbq sounds like a great idea, don't you just love the summer!

DIY Si - 27/7/06 at 04:41 PM

I'll be up for it. Should be able to get there on a tank of fuel. Just.
That wednesday would be good, but would a weekend be any better? Just thinking about driving about in the dark.

[Edited on 27/7/06 by DIY Si]

Cheffy - 27/7/06 at 04:48 PM

Hi Si,

I've got no problem in principle with a weekend but the chances are I'll probably be working, I'm usually off on Wednesdays. Although having said that, one of the downsides of my job is that things like days off have a habit of changing!

Cheers,

Martin.

DIY Si - 27/7/06 at 04:54 PM

Wednesday's aren't a problem, it's just I prefer driving during the day/when it's light as I can go faster!

Cheffy - 27/7/06 at 06:40 PM

Got no problem with that argument!

Mart.

JUD - 27/7/06 at 08:04 PM

Hmmm - food. As you could probably tell at the meet, the car is built for speed, whilst I am built for comfort!

BBQ would be great.

Happy for a weekend or mid-week.

Not sure what Simon's issue with driving at night is about - I thought he said he couldn't see anything after 35mph

Cheers,

Martin

DIY Si - 28/7/06 at 07:17 PM

I can see, but only with a helmet on. Couldn't drive around looking like a right plonker in just shades.... Especially at night.

JUD - 30/7/06 at 04:54 PM

Good point, well presented.

Cheffy - 4/8/06 at 10:52 AM

Right guys, re BBQ.

I'm off to Malta from the 11th August till the 25th. Therefore, the first Wednesday after I get back would be Wednesday 30th August, although I'm almost certainly working that night.

How would everyone be fixed for Wednesday 6th September? Hopefully the weather will still be half decent.

Martin.

JUD - 7/8/06 at 09:04 AM

Should be OK for that date. Just need to see if work related travel crops up between now and then.

Cheers,

Martin