Board logo

sort your dns out
jacko - 22/1/05 at 06:40 PM

Ive just had a message of Chris W to sort DNS out and have followed his instructions ie go to start - Run and type ipconfig/flushdns and hit enter. Just done this and computer came up cant find file any suggestions? What does dns stand for. Jacko

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/1/05 at 06:43 PM

DNS stands for Domain Name System. It is the process that connects the domain name you typed into your browser, to the server that serves or hosts the information for that domain.

monkey69 - 22/1/05 at 06:50 PM

you need a space after ipconfig

Better is to go start->run then type in cmd, and hit enter.

Then in the command window type:

ipconfig /flushdns

You should see some output if it has worked.

Peteff - 22/1/05 at 07:01 PM

I did it in command prompt and still got the message. Restart fixed it.

Jon Ison - 22/1/05 at 07:03 PM

me too, n i know it got Bob as well.

JoelP - 22/1/05 at 07:09 PM

i got it too, but it fixed itself...

what caused it?

andybod - 22/1/05 at 07:20 PM

help tried that still won,t let me connect through aol still comes up sort your dns out any suggestions on what to do

Fozzie - 22/1/05 at 07:23 PM

I couldn't get on the site at all this morning. Tried at 2pm, and it was there, without any intervention from me.
Bobs still having trouble, I got him to do a restart, but at the moment hes having no luck still!
Fozzie

andybod - 22/1/05 at 07:23 PM

ill try again later then thank,s

Fozzie - 22/1/05 at 07:28 PM

Andy, bob is with aol too. He has just told me that he cant get some other sites, so it could be an aol 'thing' at the moment.
Fozzie

phelpsa - 22/1/05 at 07:40 PM

lotusmark2 is having trouble aswell, asked me if I could ask you guys what was happening, but I was too late I think he's on AOL

Adam

jacko - 22/1/05 at 07:46 PM

Just thought Id let you all know it isnt just AOL as Im with Karoo of Hull [Jacko}

rusty nuts - 22/1/05 at 07:47 PM

Had this as well on MOzilla Firefox, used Internet Explorer in the end, I'm on NTL . Tried following instructions but no success. Rusty

jacko - 22/1/05 at 07:51 PM

Come on Chris sort this out we cant all be having trouble with dns. It spoiling our nights entertainment. Watching Stars in there eyes instead. Yuck hope its ok for tommorow Coronation street tommorow
Jacko

rusty nuts - 22/1/05 at 08:21 PM

Haven't any of us got anything better to do on a Saturday night? What a load of sad b**tards we are ! {No insult intended} Rusty

Hellfire - 22/1/05 at 08:23 PM

It's got nothing to do with your browser... Firefox or IE. I've had the same problem now using two servers and different computers for most of the day. Nothing at all this morning and DNS error this afternoon! Problem is not our end guys...

ChrisW - 22/1/05 at 10:15 PM

I broke the DNS this afternoon and so some unlucky people's PC's got told the wrong DNS information for the site. The ipconfig command should fix the problem, but if not you need to wait for you ISP's DNS cache to time out. If they have it setup correctly it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours!

Chris

JoelP - 22/1/05 at 10:15 PM

mine was identical to hellfires probs, im on bt broady. still, odd that its back for nearly all of us now, but not bob. alls well as ends well.

ps, it makes me realise what a problem i have when i get depressed that the site isnt working!

dmottaway - 23/1/05 at 01:34 AM

been waiting all day. now is 7:30 local. probably about 1.30am Sunday, your time.

still getting the message if I use Firefox, but not if I use IE.

hmmph

dave

[Edited on 23/1/05 by dmottaway]

Peteff - 23/1/05 at 10:06 AM

This time I just hit refresh and it came up o.k.

Ian Pearson - 23/1/05 at 12:40 PM

Tried all the above, but can't log on via AOL. Anyone else still experiencing problems?

britishtrident - 23/1/05 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
Tried all the above, but can't log on via AOL. Anyone else still experiencing problems?

I strongly suspect AOL have the problem - a corupt DNS server database --- it happens

For more info see my reply in the other section of the forum.

Dick Axtell - 23/1/05 at 01:13 PM

Too right, I'm still having probs.
ISP is TWest (blueyonder b/b), and Firefox just don't connect. Have followed ChrisW's advice to clean out the cache, but no success so far. Having to resort to IE6.
BTW - seems like you have to type "ipconfig /flushdns", with space between ipconfig & /.
So do I sit and wait for my ISP's cache time to pass?

stevebubs - 23/1/05 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Too right, I'm still having probs.
ISP is TWest (blueyonder b/b), and Firefox just don't connect. Have followed ChrisW's advice to clean out the cache, but no success so far. Having to resort to IE6.
BTW - seems like you have to type "ipconfig /flushdns", with space between ipconfig & /.
So do I sit and wait for my ISP's cache time to pass?

If IE is now working and Firefox isn't then Firefox is probably prolonging the issue with a cached lookup. (Both programs get the information from the same place)

Go through all the Firefox settings and try clearing down the cache.

Dick Axtell - 23/1/05 at 04:12 PM

Working OK now.

Correction - NO it b****y wasn't!!!!

Had to do the ipconfig /flushdns thing AGAIN! Then had to wait a couple of hours to re-connect.

[Edited on 23/1/05 by Dick Axtell]

bob - 23/1/05 at 05:24 PM

Thank god for that

Another night with mrs bob and the shite on the the TV would have had me in the back garden digging up my gun again

I went live help with aol and they gave me a list of things to do which didnt help at all.

I was just sitting here and decided to refresh the page that read sort your DNS
and low and behold its back.

Ian Pearson - 23/1/05 at 05:25 PM

Still b*ll*x*d!

bob - 23/1/05 at 05:53 PM

Ian

This is the info from aol live help,it may have been the answer who knows.

Open IE---- click on TOOLS menu ---- then Internet Options ---- Security TAB ----- Custom Level ------ Scroll down to scripting of Java Applets and click on ENABLE ------- Click on OK and OK again. Open IE---- click on TOOLS menu ---- then Internet Options ---- Security TAB ----- Custom Level ------ Scroll down to Microsoft VM. Set Java Permission to Medium Security or lower Security.
WSMINAKedi: Please visit the site www.java.sun.com <http://www.java.sun.com> to download the Java Virtual Machine from the link Get Java(TM) Technology: Download Sun's JVM. Please open this link in Web browser <http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html> and then try to download java virtual machine from there.

andybod - 23/1/05 at 05:53 PM

still having problem.s through aol o.k through internet explorer

bob - 23/1/05 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
mine was identical to hellfires probs, im on bt broady. still, odd that its back for nearly all of us now, but not bob. alls well as ends well.

I just read that,cheeky git LOL

britishtrident - 23/1/05 at 06:08 PM

Having suffered very unreliable DNS servers with BT I ended up adding another ISPs DNS servers to my networking settings and also keeping my hosts file up to date using a freeware program called "Hostess".
Another trick that improved relability was to run a caching DNS server -- "Treewalk" (really BIND ported to Windows) on the desktop PC.

Most of these trick should work with AOL although it is difficult to say because AOLs networking methods tend to be non standard.

[Edited on 23/1/05 by britishtrident]

Ben_Copeland - 23/1/05 at 07:37 PM

I got this error today, did what it said.... now my MSN Messenger wont sign in

Fozzie - 23/1/05 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I got this error today, did what it said.... now my MSN Messenger wont sign in

Ben I think its a seperate issue. I have had no problems with the site since yesterday 2pm. I cannot sign into messenger (windows), or msn hotmail! Bob is also having problems with messenger! It does come on for a while, then goes off again.......usually in the middle of a conversation!

Fozzie

Ben_Copeland - 23/1/05 at 07:49 PM

Well the DNS error came up earlier today, and at same time MSN died.

Can get into Hotmail fine tho

Ben_Copeland - 23/1/05 at 08:01 PM

On msn now, how long for nobody knows.... it's dead, noone on it

Hellfire - 23/1/05 at 08:14 PM

The problem is not limited to AOL.

I'm not with AOL... and it was still happening!

Seems ok now though... for now :¬)

Ben_Copeland - 23/1/05 at 08:18 PM

I wasn't on AOL either

Fozzie - 23/1/05 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I wasn't on AOL either

Nor me!
But yesterday a few people who had a long running problem with the site, seemed to be with AOL.
Fozzie

Fozzie - 23/1/05 at 08:44 PM

Just had a reply from MSN who say that they are experiencing problems at their end, so I presume that the previous problems and the problem with msn (messenger) are seperate issues.
Fozzie

stevebubs - 23/1/05 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Just had a reply from MSN who say that they are experiencing problems at their end, so I presume that the previous problems and the problem with msn (messenger) are seperate issues.
Fozzie

MSN *Seems* to be up now...but has been down for most of the day.

JoelP - 23/1/05 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bob
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

I just read that,cheeky git LOL

oops, me too! never meant it to read like that guv, onest!

shaywez - 30/1/05 at 08:23 PM

I haven't been able to enter the sight using AOL now for a good 2 weeks, it is ok through explorer though (bit of a pain though), Chris says this is due to AOL DNS cache being set up wrong and it is down to AUL to sort, how long is that going to take do you reckon!!!!

Ian Pearson - 30/1/05 at 08:59 PM

quote:

I haven't been able to enter the sight using AOL now for a good 2 weeks, it is ok through explorer though (bit of a pain though), Chris says this is due to AOL DNS cache being set up wrong and it is down to AOL to sort, how long is that going to take do you reckon!!!!

I'm in the same boat. Been onto AOL 6 times and had six different answers, none of them successful. Shared Chris's solution with them but they didn't seem too interested/bothered.

Ian Pearson - 4/2/05 at 05:33 PM

Chris, I still can't log onto the site via AOL, any chance you could send me some idiot proof destructions as AOL seem to be clueless?

Many thanks, Ian.

Ian Pearson - 5/2/05 at 01:20 PM

Still having probs. However I have found that if I use an old link to a topic that I put on my Favourites, I can use AOL with no problems? Just deleted the old link and created a new one and it seems to work. However if I type in www.locostbuilders.co.uk I get the dns message?

[Edited on 5/2/05 by Ian Pearson]

britishtrident - 5/2/05 at 02:26 PM

Just an idea try leaving off the www just locostbuilders.co.uk -- suspect it could be a browser autocomplete issue

Ian Pearson - 5/2/05 at 08:23 PM

Spot on, thanks.

JoelP - 5/2/05 at 08:43 PM

i cant stand browsing though AOL, when at mum and dads i just close it and use IE.