Board logo

Will this welding never end???
aerosam - 16/5/09 at 05:25 PM

I've spenth the whole morning in the garage today doing nothing but welding.

the chassis is 90% complete but was mostly tacked together. Every time i think i'm nearly finished fully welding it I spot about another 5 joints that need doing. I Max'ed out my welder's duty cycle 3 times this morning!

Oh well, after this I guess comes the endless grinding, painting riveting etc etc.

The light at the end of the tunnel looks kinda dim today...

Miks15 - 16/5/09 at 05:58 PM

Its this tedious bits that make it feel so much better when your done!

Its a great feeling when the chassis is completly done and you can start getting on the with the rest of it all!

rusty nuts - 16/5/09 at 06:16 PM

Try marking each joint when it is welded , should make it easier to spot which ones have been welded.

speedyxjs - 16/5/09 at 06:16 PM

Took me best part of 2 years to finish the chassis

MikeR - 16/5/09 at 06:18 PM

I keep finding bits to weld - then again i keep adding stuff.

Oh, i'm year 9!

MakeEverything - 16/5/09 at 06:21 PM

quote:

Oh, i'm year 9!

Bloody hell, builders start young these days.....

luke - 16/5/09 at 06:27 PM

Its the grinding that gets me! takes forever!

Simon - 16/5/09 at 06:33 PM

Don't forget, when you've welded your chassis, you're 90% finished

ATB

Simon

Ninehigh - 16/5/09 at 06:54 PM

Yeah but the final 10% will take 90% of the time!

omega0684 - 16/5/09 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

Oh, i'm year 9!

Bloody hell, builders start young these days.....

hahah im afraid he means he's on his ninth year or building!

albertz - 16/5/09 at 07:38 PM

For me the fabricating of the chassis was one of the most enjoyable parts, in fact oddly i probably enjoyed building the car more than driving it!!

However, this summer i plan to enjoy it!

big_wasa - 16/5/09 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Don't forget, when you've welded your chassis, you're 90% finished

ATB

Simon

More like 9.5%

aerosam - 16/5/09 at 08:27 PM

I just can't wait to be moving on to other jobs, I know building the chassis is the biggest part of the build but it's just really dragging at the mo, hours and hours of work for mostly invisible results.

Mark Allanson - 16/5/09 at 09:56 PM

I finished my chassis in 5 days, the rest of the build took 2 years!

iscmatt - 16/5/09 at 10:26 PM

try to do every weld to your best ability, you'll be amazing by the time you have 'finished'

aerosam - 17/5/09 at 09:07 PM

The welding marathon contines...

Had another good few hours in the garage today, getting really fed up of the welder shutting itself off though. It can only weld for about 10 mins (virtually constantly) before it goes into thermal overload and has to cool down for about half an hour before it will weld again. Also, the longer I weld for, the worse the wire feeder gets, it feeds intermittently, in about half second intervals.

The advantage is that while it's cooling down Ive been getting on with dressing the welds with the angry grinder.

On the bright side, it's nearly done. One more good sesh and i'll have it finished.

iank - 18/5/09 at 08:29 AM

Sounds like your welder is a bit on the small side and/or isn't a 'turbo' model with a fan for the transformer.

aerosam - 18/5/09 at 05:27 PM

No it isn't fan cooled

not much left to do though

Chris_ - 18/5/09 at 09:34 PM

Set a fan up blowing at the welder.

Wont really help on the actual welding time thing (maybe a few seconds) but should speed up the recovery quite a lot.

Oh and dont forget to keep the torch lead as straight as possible if the wire feed is struggleing.

Cheers
Chris