Board logo

Alfa Romeo Transaxle
chrisunwin - 7/8/09 at 04:44 PM

Hi

Has anyone ever used an Alfa Romeo Transaxle at the back of their car?

I know this means widening the rear a bit where the diff would go.

Advantages would be inboard brakes, LSD and possibly better weight distribution.

Regards

Chris

Peteff - 7/8/09 at 06:33 PM

Some Romanian blokes did one a few years back and they had to raise the rear floor and seats to clear it.

cfv23844 - 15/8/09 at 08:51 PM

I'm finishing my Alfa/7. The donor car was the 116 Sprint Veloce with transaxle. It is built on a McSorley 442 chassis. With the flywheel up front there is more room for my big feet and self made seats are necessary for a 6'2"x205 lb body. A tight fit but no higher than usual and with generous soft foam a comfortable snug fit.

TheGecko - 16/8/09 at 12:25 AM

There's one at http://diligentdesign.ca/seven/ which is very nicely finished (if not quite to my personal taste) but it is apparent that the transaxle crowds the cabin a bit.

Benonymous - 18/8/09 at 05:44 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a very uncomfortable setup. The gearbox will get hot and I don't think the weight distribution will benefit greatly. In fact it's moved a significant weight nearer to the rear and away from the centre of the car. The finish of the whole thing looks superb though.

andyps - 20/8/09 at 01:23 PM

I am sure there would be some issues with doing so, but why not extend the wheelbase so the transaxle is slightly behind the seats rather than between them?

philipcurtis100 - 20/8/09 at 05:47 PM

dont like the wooden floor

chrisunwin - 23/8/09 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info. Having seen an Alfa transaxle in the flesh now, I think I will go the conventional route, and use a Sierra diff. Love the pictures of the Alfa.

Regards

Chris

MikeRJ - 23/8/09 at 12:40 PM

If you could replace the clutch mechanism with a concentric slave you'd save a lot of room on the right hand side. I have visions of a passenger getting their thigh well and truly pinched by the arrangement in the car above.

andkilde - 24/8/09 at 12:33 PM

quote:
I have visions of a passenger getting their thigh well and truly pinched ...

Well, it is an Italian car after all

MikeRJ - 24/8/09 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:
I have visions of a passenger getting their thigh well and truly pinched ...

Well, it is an Italian car after all