Board logo

Rover V8 - Book chassis or +4" chassis?
dan_g8 - 31/10/08 at 01:40 PM

Hi all,
I am planning on starting my project in a few months time. Would i be able to fit a rover v8 engine into the book chassis or would i be better off building the +4" chassis? Also what rear axle would suit both chassis with this engine?
I only really have a basic understanding of it all so will probably be asking alot of questions over the next couple of months.
Thanks in advanced.

scutter - 31/10/08 at 01:46 PM

I'd go plus4 or 442, been helping Cheffy here on the site with his build, and a 442 chassis seems nice and roomy.

Check out his Website for more pics

ATB Dan and no you don't need the complicated front suspension

Shadowcaster - 31/10/08 at 05:39 PM

How about the Haynes Roadster, Sierra rear end and should take a V8
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

[Edited on 31/10/08 by Shadowcaster]

[Edited on 31/10/08 by Shadowcaster]

speedyxjs - 31/10/08 at 06:13 PM

Haynes roadster would be best imo

907 - 31/10/08 at 07:32 PM

Hi, and welcome to the site.

If you wanted a look at a +4 chassis you would be more than welcome to a gander at mine.

I'm a tad west of Sudbury.

Paul G

wilkingj - 31/10/08 at 11:31 PM

Paul I didnt know yours was +4"

At least mi Viento is 2" bigger than yours!.

907 - 1/11/08 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Paul I didnt know yours was +4"

At least mi Viento is 2" bigger than yours!.

One doesn't like to brag about size.

Paul G

dan_g8 - 3/11/08 at 08:41 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, been looking out for a sierra rear end over the weekend so that i have all the pieces for a rolling chassis before i start to weld the chassis up.
Am i correct in thinking that the haynes roadster is designed to accept de dion axle? (sure i have read it somewhere over the weekend)
Ta
Dan

scutter - 3/11/08 at 08:50 AM

No fella, The Haynes has an IRS set up at the back.

ATB Dan.

dan_g8 - 3/11/08 at 10:17 AM

thanks, can anyone recommend a irs axle that would suit my engine? i was hoping to use one of the "flat pack" chassis that i have seen on this site.

How much modification will the haynes chassis need inorder to take a de dion axle/ would i be better off modifying a +4 chassis?

Dan

jgs - 7/11/08 at 09:44 PM

Hi there, i am using the +4 chassis, it is far better than trying to shoe-horn a V8 into the std chassis.

Myself and my co builder chose to use a rover SD1 v8 as the donor vehicle. with this you get basically all the parts you need and they are all perfectly suited to the V8. Prop rear axle front hubs, calipers etc.

of course parts do need to be modified but hey thats kit cars for you!

dmulally - 8/11/08 at 03:03 AM

I am using a standard locost frame and the P76 V8 fits perfect. (P76 100mm bigger than rv8 but essentially the same) The headers pop over the top of the frame to keep the heat out and the steering column isnt affected at all.

Easy...kind of...

Cheers

Damian