Board logo

0 to Sixty
mangogrooveworkshop - 4/7/04 at 03:56 PM

Found this cut out in one of my scrap books. This is a JPE catervan with twenty grands worth of 2 litre vauxhall touring car engine. The modern BEC could easily and probally does thrash this thirtyfive grand car (10 years ago +-) for five K. This puts it into perspective the value in BECS.

tiff in a twin z car tiger 2.9

[Edited on 4-7-04 by mangogrooveworkshop] Rescued attachment going fast.jpg
Rescued attachment going fast.jpg

ChrisGamlin - 5/7/04 at 09:08 AM

As much as I love BECs you'd need a pretty serious BEC to beat a JPE Cateringvan to 60, and an even more serious one to beat it to 100 (~8s IIRC). Still totally agree with the VFM aspect though, cos you could get with half a second to 60 with a boggo blade car.

Chris

jimgiblett - 5/7/04 at 10:55 AM

I'd give it ago

budgetbuilder - 5/7/04 at 03:03 PM

It might be the picture but the tyres on the Caterham look very narrow. Not sure what they are running on the R500 when the do the acceleration runs now but imagine its going to be very sticky rubber!

ChrisGamlin - 5/7/04 at 04:40 PM

You added Nitrous since the Le Mans trip then Jimbo?

Mark Allanson - 5/7/04 at 09:54 PM

The ZCar tiger was made by a nice chap called Chris Allanson

lenny - 5/7/04 at 09:58 PM

time worp had this in today

lenny - 5/7/04 at 10:02 PM

and up for sale 1962 fee tax £25.40ins historic vhicle (on log book)

£1,600ono
u2 me for pics
Lenny

jimgiblett - 6/7/04 at 08:53 AM

Sshh

<snip>You added Nitrous since the Le Mans trip then Jimbo?

mangogroove - 6/7/04 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The ZCar tiger was made by a nice chap called Chris Allanson

Ive got an kitcar mag that has a writeup on Chris. It shows the first twin engined car driving the rear wheels.
Think they have a new car with an engine per axle to get better grip.
Anyone got an idea how fast the Dax holeshot turbobusa cars are?

Tyres narrow.....500`s rn on speacial Avons I think....mmmm nodoubt some one will tell us.

[Edited on 6/7/04 by mangogroove]

ChrisGamlin - 6/7/04 at 12:30 PM

The thing is a twin BEC can't really be considered as good value for money like a normal BEC can, a friend of mine spent £12k in all converting a Westfield to twin BEC using the Z Cars drivetrain, and that isnt including the cost of the Westfield beforehand, and if you wanted one of the Z Cars 4WD cars then you'd need to add £10k's worth of Motec ECU on top as well, so would be getting on for the price of an R500 anyway!

Chris

phelpsa - 6/7/04 at 06:10 PM

Is that the orange one on ebay at the moment?

Adam

ChrisGamlin - 6/7/04 at 06:45 PM

Yup, if its this one here www.just-the-one.net.
Good value too with all the general upgrades its had done to it (cage, widetrack etc) if someone was after something like that.

Chris

[Edited on 6/7/04 by ChrisGamlin]

phelpsa - 7/7/04 at 02:57 PM

Yes, thats the one, it's already been on there twice, does seem to be going t5o high.

Adam