Board logo

Mride C42 turbo BEC sportscar
Micke Fredriksson - 3/1/07 at 09:44 PM

Hi!
My next project has now started- Iīm going to rebuild my two seated MRide T42 turbo trike to a formula like sportscar.
The Engine is still the same Suzuki GSX 1000-R turbo bike engine with 300hp @ 1,1bar boost. The Mride "T"42 stands for Trike, and Mride "C"42 stands for Car.

The 3-wheeler have dubble wishbones and Pushrod suspension in the front. So it will be the same at the rear. The total weight will be around 540kgs + driver
Iīve started to make a TORSEN chaindrive differential.

Read more om my website!
www.mride.se

This is a scetch Iīve done to illustrate the Mride C42 turbo sportscar.

Wadders - 3/1/07 at 09:53 PM

Sir, i salute you

i]Originally posted by Micke Fredriksson
Hi!
My next project has now started- Iīm going to rebuild my two seated MRide T42 turbo trike to a formula like sportscar.
The Engine is still the same Suzuki GSX 1000-R turbo bike engine with 300hp @ 1,1bar boost. The Mride "T"42 stands for Trike, and Mride "C"42 stands for Car.

The 3-wheeler have dubble wishbones and Pushrod suspension in the front. So it will be the same at the rear. The total weight will be around 540kgs + driver
Iīve started to make a TORSEN chaindrive differential.

Read more om my website!
www.mride.se

This is a scetch Iīve done to illustrate the Mride C42 turbo sportscar.

pathfinder - 3/1/07 at 10:03 PM

So why the move from 3 wheels to 4?

I was thinking of doing a self designed 3 wheeler next so would be interested to know your reasoning.

Looks like a tidy project

Wadders - 3/1/07 at 10:10 PM

At a guess, with 300hp, a severe lack of traction from one wheel?

]Originally posted by pathfinder
So why the move from 3 wheels to 4?

I was thinking of doing a self designed 3 wheeler next so would be interested to know your reasoning.

Looks like a tidy project

PAUL FISHER - 3/1/07 at 10:47 PM

Now thats looks like fun to me
will be keeping my eye this project.

muzchap - 3/1/07 at 11:30 PM

Finally a post without arguing!

What an awesome looking machine!

The best of British/Swedish luck to you - if you know of any single women - er.. send em over

Cheers,

M

DavidM - 3/1/07 at 11:46 PM

Unusual looking beast.

I love it!

David

Winston Todge - 4/1/07 at 07:54 AM

Another unbelievable project Micke...

I have every belief that it'll turn out aswell as the first!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chris.

Winston Todge - 4/1/07 at 07:59 AM

How does the differential cover you have TIGd up seal against the ring gear plate and diff side?

Does this whole cover rotate with the differential when locked up?

Any fluid inside the diff?

Ta, Chris.

RallyHarry - 4/1/07 at 09:25 PM

Wouldn't four wheels mean that it's a car and hence illegal to drive ? (power to weight ratio thingie they have in Sweden)
Can't be SVA'd can it ?

Cheers

Micke Fredriksson - 4/1/07 at 10:11 PM

Hello everybody! Thanks for all the kind words!!

Yes! The reson why the redesign to a car, is just TOO MUCH POWER!!
The 300hp is just not doing any good under 200km/h.
The performance isnīt so bad as a 3-wheeler= 0-100km/h in 4,5sec, 0-200km/h in just under 10sec. And brakes 1,1G and corners like a locost seven. So Iīm not disappointed at all- It is the most fun vehicle I have ever driven. But itīs just SO frustrating to know that I can use twise the power from 100km/h without sliding and burning rubber, if I just had more grip..
I have terrible fast friends that is awefully close to leave me behind I just canīt let that happen!!

So, more wheels= More traction,= More Acc, Faster cornering and better brakes!!
It will be better in every way!!

The Torsen diff is taken from a -92 Audi V8 who is the only audi car with Torsen in the rear diff "I think". I TIG welded together the diff "housing" in ALU. The housing will be bolted with 3 M6 screws in the side flangs. I will seal the housing with a oil resistent silicone. Yes, the whole thing is rotating the same speed as the chain sprocket.
I will fill the diff with grease as a lubricant. Hopefully that will work fine!

I forgot to mension that the topspeed will be reduced from 290+km/h to 237km/h. There will be a huge differense to launch = before the 1:st gear- 142km/h. Now it will go 115km/h in the 1:st!! NICE!!

I will even redesign the gear shifter to a mecanic paddle shifter with a Dyna-tech shiftcut. And Alot of other things too. But I have to do the rear suspenson first.

This is the TORSEN diff.

G.Man - 4/1/07 at 10:14 PM

a bitchin project...

Bet it will be an awesome drive...

Micke Fredriksson - 4/1/07 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RallyHarry
Wouldn't four wheels mean that it's a car and hence illegal to drive ? (power to weight ratio thingie they have in Sweden)
Can't be SVA'd can it ?

Cheers

HI! Yes, thatīs right. I can have 15kw/100kg as a car. But I donīt see it as a problem. I just perhaps leave my rotating scilencer at home that day.. or add alot of wheight..... It will be Road legal!

[Edited on 4/1/07 by Micke Fredriksson]

tigris - 7/1/07 at 01:32 PM

I checked out your site,do you have any info on your plug creation? What type of material did you use, and what methods helped you maintain symmetry? Thanks

G.Man - 7/1/07 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Micke Fredriksson
quote:
Originally posted by RallyHarry
Can't be SVA'd can it ?

Cheers

HI! Yes, thatīs right. I can have 15kw/100kg as a car. But I donīt see it as a problem. I just perhaps leave my rotating scilencer at home that day.. or add alot of wheight..... It will be Road legal!

[Edited on 4/1/07 by Micke Fredriksson]

Or you could just add a lot of lead ballast on SVA day

Micke Fredriksson - 8/1/07 at 05:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tigris
I checked out your site,do you have any info on your plug creation? What type of material did you use, and what methods helped you maintain symmetry? Thanks

Hello! To maintain the symmetry I had to measure, measure, measure. I had the chassis to go out from and to some parts I did templets in thick papper.
I made the Body plug from cellplastic. It will melt if you put thinner on it.. So you have to seal it from melting. You can look here on my web site- Dont forget to click "NEXT" .
http://www.mride.se/photo_album1.html

[Edited on 8/1/07 by Micke Fredriksson]

Micke Fredriksson - 18/1/07 at 09:16 PM

Here is some updates!

Scale drawings.

8mm thick aluminum.

Mr Clive - 19/1/07 at 12:53 PM

Very nice work.

Im just wondering where you sourced those blue bearing carriers for the diff from?

cloudy - 19/1/07 at 01:15 PM

excellent! i'm looking for some turn buckles for tensioning the chain for my own chain diff - where did you get your from?

James

G.Man - 19/1/07 at 02:01 PM

Looks superb

one word of warning tho...

I have destroyed 8mm ally plate with a 90bhp Kart Engine (rotax twin)... (may have been 6mm now I think about it)

Keep an eye on it, as the diff will be under a lot of strain...

Looks like it will be a lot of fun when its complete..

welderman - 19/1/07 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
excellent! i'm looking for some turn buckles for tensioning the chain for my own chain diff - where did you get your from?

James

what size you after.

cloudy - 19/1/07 at 09:43 PM

quote:

Agree on this point, also there will be some lateral forces, if not just from cornering - so will need some sort of cross bracing on the plates to stop the diff moving side to side I would imagine?

Micke Fredriksson - 19/1/07 at 10:13 PM

quote:
quote:

Agree on this point, also there will be some lateral forces, if not just from cornering - so will need some sort of cross bracing on the plates to stop the diff moving side to side I would imagine?

Hi! Thanks for the tip! Yes my plan was exactly like that. I will fabricate a "sort of" X bracing at the back of the diff between the plates.
I send more picts later when itīs done,

Micke Fredriksson - 19/1/07 at 10:15 PM

quote:

James

Hi! I use a stainless steel version that I bought on a boat store. Nice finish but not cheap....

Micke Fredriksson - 21/1/07 at 07:08 PM

quote:

Hello! Here is the "Bolt ON Reinforcement KIT" I made this weekend. I think it will work really great!
What do you think?

jpread988 - 21/1/07 at 08:17 PM

just thought i would put this on found it while doing a search.
the blue bearing carriers can be found on
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/ourshop/cat_31087-4-BOLT-HOLE-FLANGE-BEARING.html

hope this helps

Mr Clive - 21/1/07 at 10:08 PM

That does. Thanks

Micke Fredriksson - 21/1/07 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jpread988
just thought i would put this on found it while doing a search.
the blue bearing carriers can be found on
http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/ourshop/cat_31087-4-BOLT-HOLE-FLANGE-BEARING.html

hope this helps

Hi! Thatīs right! Itīs the same shape of the bearing carriers as I use, but not the same quallity. I use SKF bearings. One thing you must check is the rpm speed the bearing will handle (topspeed of your car). In my case 2300rpm, I know that the SKF bearing will handle maximum 5300rpm, so thatīs ok. Iīve seen other cheaper bearings in my size "40-45mm". And they will only handle maximum around 2000rpm.
A SKF bearing with carrier costs around 650-750 skr + vat (25%) each. (~ Ģ80 each incl. vat)

Micke Fredriksson - 10/3/07 at 10:36 AM

Time for some new picts!!
Take a look at me website: www.mride.se

G.Man - 10/3/07 at 10:41 AM

Man you do some lovely work...

Cant help thinking the bike frame is probably no longer needed and you could shed some weight tho...

Still want one mind

Micke Fredriksson - 10/3/07 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Man you do some lovely work...

Cant help thinking the bike frame is probably no longer needed and you could shed some weight tho...

Still want one mind

Thanks! Yes, well thought! The bikeframe is infact very needed in the construktion. If I take the bike frame off, I have to reinforce the everything around the engine, and make new strong enginemounts and so on.. So the total weight will probably be higher if I make a equal strong construktion of steel instead.

G.Man - 11/3/07 at 04:51 PM

Fair do's, I will reserve judgement until its had a few hard drives..

Just from what I know about bike frames, the torsional rigididty isnt up to much, might have been fine for one wheel on a swing arm, but I would have thought the additonal bracing required to get it stiff enough for 4 wheels, would have been sufficient to make it dead weight..

I can see the bracing you have on the bottom rear end mount, but the top looks like its bolted to the frame, well a lump of ally welded to the frame...

I can see why you retained it for the 3 wheeler, I just thought extending the top mount onto the chasis with some triangulation, then some good engine mounts would have saved some weight and given the torsional rigidity you need...

with the engine mounted at 3 points, it requires far less reinforcement than you would think...

Winston Todge - 11/3/07 at 05:47 PM

As per usual Micke, upto your usual awesome standard! Can't wait to see the videos of that one caning it around!

Have fun!

Chris.

sgraber - 16/3/07 at 07:28 PM

AWESOME!

Micke Fredriksson - 18/3/07 at 09:10 PM

Thanks !!!
Now it is standing on itīs own wheels!! YiiHaaa!! Whereīs the summer heat?

[Edited on 18/3/07 by Micke Fredriksson]

G.Man - 19/3/07 at 12:53 PM

thats just lovely...

Looks like its beggin for a rear wing tho

Micke Fredriksson - 5/4/07 at 07:12 PM

The Rear brakes takes shape!
Honda CBR 900rr rotors and calippers.

Micke Fredriksson - 23/6/07 at 07:38 PM

The Mride C42 sportscar is now totally roadlegal!! Really cool!
This is some picts from my first legal trip with some icecreame eating.

This is my new carbonfibre fenders I+ve made to the car. Really nice I think.

d8mok - 24/6/07 at 02:29 PM

thats mega

Dillinger1977 - 24/6/07 at 03:09 PM

holy s...t , thats fantastic, I love it!

Micke Fredriksson - 24/6/07 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
love those cycle wings, they look top class, where are they from?

how big is the car, it looks big/high/long or is it just photographic deception

Chris

Thanks everyone!! Iīm very glad you like it!
The cyclewings is made by myself specially to the Mride car. So they are a little hard to find in the speedshop.
The Mride C42 car is 395cm long, 210cm wide and about 110cm high on the rolloverbar behind the driver. So itīs a rather big toy. The weight is 570kgs + driver and the power is still ca 280-300hp. Topspeed is reduced to 240km/h for better acc.

kb58 - 25/6/07 at 03:45 AM

I'm curious about the diff cover, about how it can hold grease/oil from leaking out. Yes I know it'll be sealed, but it seems to me that as the differential heats up, it's going to pressurize the lubricant and push it out through your gaskets... Let us know what happens.

Also glad to see you switched to 4-wheels. I couldn't help but smile when no times were given after your drag racing. I knew it was because the lack of traction caused really slow times. Not any more.

Also, about the rear brakes, did you run through the numbers to see if they're sufficient? Yeah I know there's two of them, but there's a lot more weight being decellerated by them than on the bike, where there's about zero weight on the rear tire under braking. Just wondering.

Lastly, about the diagonal aluminum brace on the diff... it bugs me. Either:

A. There's a lot of side force and it'll be way, way too weak.

or

B. All cornering and twisting forces are handled by the surrounding tube chassis, so it isn't needed at all.

What am I missing?

[Edited on 6/25/07 by kb58]

Micke Fredriksson - 25/6/07 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
I'm curious about the diff cover, about how it can hold grease/oil from leaking out. Yes I know it'll be sealed, but it seems to me that as the differential heats up, it's going to pressurize the lubricant and push it out through your gaskets... Let us know what happens.

Also glad to see you switched to 4-wheels. I couldn't help but smile when no times were given after your drag racing. I knew it was because the lack of traction caused really slow times. Not any more.

Also, about the rear brakes, did you run through the numbers to see if they're sufficient? Yeah I know there's two of them, but there's a lot more weight being decellerated by them than on the bike, where there's about zero weight on the rear tire under braking. Just wondering.

Lastly, about the diagonal aluminum brace on the diff... it bugs me. Either:

A. There's a lot of side force and it'll be way, way too weak.

or

B. All cornering and twisting forces are handled by the surrounding tube chassis, so it isn't needed at all.

What am I missing?

[Edited on 6/25/07 by kb58]

Hello there!
The diffcover and breathing: Yes, that question have I asked my self to. But as I see it wouldnīt the grease in the diff heat up at all (compairing to a stock cardiff) due to the diff isnīt wipping up the oil and when driving straight forward my diff hasnīt internat movement at all- Just centrifugal force so the only time the diff is producing heat is when turning. And then the speed diffrencebetween the rear wheels is making a slow movement in the diff. Bus as I see it is that so little so I donīt thing itīs going to be a huge problem. So far itīs working exelent.

About the rear brakes. I think you have missunderstod my choice of parts a bit. ;-)
When beeing a 3-wheeler I used the stock rear bike breake. That rotor is about 20cm in dia and had a one piston caliper. That was as you said rather small to handle the heat- On the track the rotor whent blue. .
Now I use 2x 300mm FRONT rotors with 4-piston alu calipers from a honda cpr 900rr. The break pads aria is almost 4 times the size as last year. Thease front rotors is fully floating so they can handle much more heat then regular rotors without twisting. The difference in breake force is really big = breaking 1,2G:s with cold tyres.

The diagonal bracing on the diff:

= B

The bracing is just to prevent the diff form twisting under cornering from its own wheight. There is no other lateral force on the diff. The front/back force is handled by 2 upper M16 bolts and 2 lower adjustible M16 "chain tension" 300mm long bolt. TOTAL overkill but I donīt want it to fail.

kb58 - 25/6/07 at 02:59 PM

Ah, okay, I didn't realize your rear brakes were the bike *front* brakes. Much better!!

Micke Fredriksson - 13/7/07 at 10:59 AM

Hello!

Iīve published two videos from the SFRO roadtesting day. SFRO is a organisation thatīs testing your vehicle several times during the building process to get it roadlegal!
Fun!

Visit my website to see the videos.
http://www.c42.mride.se/video.html

Winston Todge - 13/7/07 at 04:55 PM

Fantastic achievement Micke!

Bet you can't wait to get it on the track...

Micke Fredriksson - 5/8/07 at 03:31 PM

I have now tested the Mride C42 sportscar in a slalom corse to see how the suspension works. Iīm really pleased with everyting I couldnīt ask for anything better regarding to ballance and behavor.

Check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6AE28WNV0