Board logo

r1 carb stickythrottle
tigris - 13/1/08 at 09:36 PM

when hand turning the butterflies open, there is quite a restriction, letting off they gradually close. is this normal, I'd expect them to snap back?

thanks

[Edited on 13/1/08 by tigris]

zxrlocost - 13/1/08 at 09:41 PM

they should snap back

tigris - 13/1/08 at 09:43 PM

where should I oil it then?

Also, does anyone have pics of a carb setup, I forget where all of these lines go.
Stupid efi guy!

jacko - 13/1/08 at 09:54 PM

My zx9r carb were the same i fitted a second spring and there ok know

adithorp - 13/1/08 at 10:53 PM

My R1 inj' was the same. Only does it when running, and then snapping it shut. No sign of it when the engine is off. Think its high vacuum in the manifold caused by the snap shut that holds the throttle just open. I've added another return spring.

adrian

mad-butcher - 13/1/08 at 11:33 PM

hope this helps Rescued attachment carburetor.jpg
Rescued attachment carburetor.jpg

Coose - 14/1/08 at 09:05 AM

You shouldn't need a second spring to make them snap shut. Either they've been stored in the sea or are full of muck and need some serious attention, or the return spring has been removed/is broken. Fitting a second spring will not cure the problem and will probably cause further damage if the butterflies/shaft is binding.

Bob C - 14/1/08 at 01:56 PM

I remember when my engine was in boxes for a couple of years... the throttle spindle of the carbs seemed just a little reluctant to spring back to the stop. Once on the engine, in the car, it has been fine. Maybe having petrol near it did the job, maybe the vibration of a running engine
Bob

Johneturbo - 12/4/08 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
My R1 inj' was the same. Only does it when running, and then snapping it shut. No sign of it when the engine is off. Think its high vacuum in the manifold caused by the snap shut that holds the throttle just open. I've added another return spring.

adrian

adrian where have you added the extra spring? a pic would be great
mines not snapping shut, i think due to the weight of the throttle cable.

stuart_g - 12/4/08 at 08:06 PM

John, I had exactly the same problem, I added a return spring and problem solved.

Here's a pic. Rescued attachment Extra return spring.JPG
Rescued attachment Extra return spring.JPG

adithorp - 12/4/08 at 09:08 PM

Sorry, no picture of mine. I take some monday and post them. Here's another set up I saw at Donnington.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/skixmas07005.jpg

Quite neat and could be an upgrade from my braket and spring.

adrian

Johneturbo - 13/4/08 at 07:04 PM

thanks a lot guys, i've got a box of 100 springs somewhere plus the original cable so should be sorted

Johneturbo - 14/4/08 at 06:18 PM

Here's what i came up with. needs a bit of finishing, i used the orignal cable cut down and attached to a spring that runs inside that tube Rescued attachment Tcable.jpg
Rescued attachment Tcable.jpg