Board logo

blackbird BEC
IDONTBELEIVEIT - 13/1/08 at 09:54 PM

hello there,just been and brought a 2003 westfield seiw with a sierra lump in it,also a 1999 injection blackbird engine, A: can anybody send me a link to a detailed build diary,B:can anybody set me straight before i go wrong C:can anybody send me some pictures of my blackbird engine so i can find out where all the bloody pipes go and how the loom needs to be modified kind regards wayno!!!

Jon Ison - 13/1/08 at 10:12 PM

Hi, 1st welcome...........

2nd, will try and offer advise on B & C.

If you have done nothing at all towards your Bird install then I would consider selling it and maybe looking at an R1 or ZX12 engine maybe, there are others to before I get shouted at.

Reason:- If you don't spend some money on the oil system of the Bird engine it will sooner rather than later go pop on you, they simply do not like been turned thru 90 then put in a seven type chassis.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear but best said now rather than weeks, months into the installation.

All IMHO but I know what I would do.

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 13/1/08 at 10:16 PM

thanks jon but ive ordered the dry sump kit from nova racing,and am keen to crack on do you have any advice

hobbsy - 13/1/08 at 10:20 PM

I'd second that after having been there and blow one up.

Its not exactly a light engine and by the time you've added the extra weight (and cost) or a dry sump kit the extra torque it has over an R1 or similar is pretty much lost in the power to weight decrease...

Jon Ison - 13/1/08 at 10:22 PM

Yea, carry on, your obviously aware of the oil needs for this motor, I don't have access to any install pics at the moment as I'm out of the country but can maybe help later with pics etc.......

welderman - 13/1/08 at 10:37 PM

How do fella, i used to have the same girl as an atvar, but was told it was not work safe.
Just a freindly word mate, i loved it and her.

zxrlocost - 13/1/08 at 10:40 PM

Id be safe at work looking at it

zxrlocost - 13/1/08 at 10:44 PM

on a second note becareful what your going to spend on it as above the other engines offer as good performance reliability for what your going to ££ into it

zxrlocost - 13/1/08 at 10:44 PM

on a second note becareful what your going to spend on it as above the other engines offer as good performance reliability for what your going to ££ into it

blue2cv - 13/1/08 at 11:02 PM

www.megabird.co.uk detailed build

Toady1 - 13/1/08 at 11:13 PM

good engine to go for, especially with a dry sump kit! very easy to do the conversion mate, did it myself last year with a 954cc blade. good luck!

Hellfire - 14/1/08 at 01:08 AM

Firstly - welcome to the fold.

Personally I too would avoid the Blackbird - although a good engine, they are not exactly infallible in a Car. I've know people spend lots on 'em only to be let down and eventually change as even dry sumping isn't guaranteed to stop it letting go...

Just my 2p...

Steve

tks - 14/1/08 at 11:35 AM

i would go ZX10 or if you can afford more...

more.....

Tks

ChrisGamlin - 14/1/08 at 08:46 PM

If you stick with the 'bird conversion, have a look at www.westicles.net/ as the Yellow car on there is a car engine'd Westie that was converted to a Blackbird. The build diary is 6-7 years old now but it should give you some ideas for engine mounts etc.

Chris

[Edited on 14/1/08 by ChrisGamlin]