Board logo

North-South 1.8t VW transaxle
rontyler - 7/2/05 at 09:34 PM

Howdy,
Been away for a while... have some catch-up to do. Anyhow, the other day I noticed a VW passat with a 1.8t motor mounted north/south with an, obviously suitable , traditional style transaxle attached. The car I was looking at had an automatic but it seems reasonable to assume the manual tranny car would still be north/south. Can anyone confirm or have opinions. Sure struck me as a nifty middy package.

Thanks, Ron

nick205 - 7/2/05 at 10:05 PM

Check out MK's new GTR, which uses the set-up you mention. As you say a neat package

MK GTR link

Nick

wheelsinsteadofhooves - 7/2/05 at 10:50 PM

indeedy, audi 80/vw passats have nice manual (and it appears auto if your that way inclined) in line transaxles. great budget options for middies, and great boxes in their own right.

now if only anyone could develop an adaptor to the ford pattern... (or am i just too lazy?)

Dean - 7/2/05 at 10:57 PM

This place makes engine adapters for a whole lot of engines.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

sgraber - 7/2/05 at 11:11 PM

Off -topic -

WELCOME BACK RON!

Graber

violentblue - 8/2/05 at 06:39 AM

most audi transaxles are set up for longitudal fwd, and the new passat (and jetta I believe) is based on an audi platform.

I'd live to find a W8 for a middy.

rontyler - 8/2/05 at 02:25 PM

Thanks guy's... looks like I have some research to do.

Thanks Mr. Graber... Its a pleasure to be in such company :-)

Ron

sgraber - 8/2/05 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
most audi transaxles are set up for longitudal fwd, and the new passat (and jetta I believe) is based on an audi platform.

My Jetta, Bora, MKIV, same as the S4 platform I believe, is a transverse FWD... Otherwise I would wreck it against something unmoveable (from the rear) and buy it back from the Insurance company! (Just joking BTW)

timf - 8/2/05 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dean
This place makes engine adapters for a whole lot of engines.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

adaptor made for subaru 2.0 engine
hmmm imprezza powered GTR anyone

wheelsinsteadofhooves - 8/2/05 at 03:58 PM

check the cost of adaptors though - not exactly locost, esp once postage for some large lumps of steel to this side of the pond is included. or am i being a cheapskate?
- looks great quality though, came across them a while ago but like i say to many $$$$

wheelsinsteadofhooves - 8/2/05 at 03:59 PM

ps. sorry to show my ignorance of the vag range but is there is v6 in there??
pps. are all vag gearbox mounting patterns the same?

gys - 6/3/05 at 02:22 PM

quote:

W8's can be found on the German eBay sometimes (like at the moment). Audi V8's are easier to find (and in most specs more powerful).

The "new" Passat (as presented in Geneva at the moment) has a transvers mounted engine again. The Passat 3B(G) and 32i have longitudinal mounted engines, the other Passat models don't.

The Jetta is based on the Golf and has a transvers mounted engine. All Audi's except for the A3 (8L & 8P) and TT (8N) have longitudinal mounted engines.

I don't understand what is meant by the S4 platform , the Golf Mk IV = PQ34 platform (Q = Quer ~ transvers).

There is a Passat 2.8l 5V V6. More options are available from Audi... (2.4, 2.6, 2.8 (both 12V and 30V), 3.0 and 3.2 l). All are/were available with FWD and a manual (at least in Europe) IIRC.

Golf V6 & R32, Touareg V6 and Phaeton V6 are 2.8/3.2 VR6 engines instead of real V6's.

[Edited on 6/3/05 by gys]

locost_bryan - 8/3/05 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by timf
adaptor made for subaru 2.0 engine
hmmm imprezza powered GTR anyone

Saker use Subaru engine, transaxle, hubs as a donor for the SV1 - either WRX or H6 from latest Legacy/Forester www.sakercars.com