Board logo

Battery Cut off Projection?
nitram38 - 14/3/06 at 11:22 AM

If a Battery cut off switch is on the outside body of my car, will it fail on the fact that the key has square edges instead of the prescribed radius?
Anyone else failed on this and if so, what did you do to sort it?

Cheers Nitram

MikeR - 14/3/06 at 11:34 AM

Caterham mount it in the trangle gap that forms the windscreen support bit. They then have a shroud for it ..... but i think this is for racing not for road.

Fozzie - 14/3/06 at 11:53 AM

I disarmed the cut-off switches (got one for the plumbed in fire system too), undid them and fixed little circular felt pads over the holes, just like the ones you get in the DIY stores for furniture legs!
Be careful though, that you don't lose the cables when you take the switches off.
HTH Fozzie Rescued attachment Fozzmobile29.JPG
Rescued attachment Fozzmobile29.JPG

Fozzie - 14/3/06 at 11:54 AM

And for SVA :- sorry its not that clear! (pre digital camera! lol).
Fozzie

I disarmed the cockpit ones too in the same way

[Edited on 14/3/06 by Fozzie] Rescued attachment SVA centre1.jpg
Rescued attachment SVA centre1.jpg

eddymcclements - 14/3/06 at 12:44 PM

I had an FIA cut-off switch mounted in the "Caterham" position and yes, it failed because the key wasn't sufficiently rounded, and that was with a shroud fitted - see below

eddymcclements - 14/3/06 at 12:46 PM

Should have added - I just removed the shroud and switch completely for the re-test, stuck a blanking grommet in the holes and bolted the battery cables together. The regular column-mounted ignition switch counts as two devices, one mechanical and one electrical, accordning to the Carlisle SVA centre.

Eddy

nitram38 - 14/3/06 at 01:13 PM

See the dimple on the right hand panel of my avatar. That is a recess for my switch. Maybe if I get a key machined or sink the key into resin in half of a tennis ball, to create a dome, it will do?

DIY Si - 14/3/06 at 02:45 PM

The half tennis ball idea should get you through the sva. Won't look nice, but should see you on the road.

NS Dev - 15/3/06 at 12:27 PM

Yea, I'd go for the 1/2 ball idea, it will take the p155 out of that particularly stupid regulation nicely too!!!!

Danozeman - 15/3/06 at 12:41 PM

quote:

Yea, I'd go for the 1/2 ball idea, it will take the p155 out of that particularly stupid regulation nicely too!!!!

I agree. Just get another key for after test.

nitram38 - 15/3/06 at 06:21 PM

Luckily, I have 2 already.
I will try and use clear resin so that you can still see the key aswell!