Board logo

Ball joints maxi
Barker - 16/1/03 at 12:47 PM

Have trawled the search and seen much talk of tapers and redrills.

Can anyone confirm if you can use a Maxi or astra bottom ball joint unmodified with a sierra front hub???

cheers

Pete

highspeeddirt - 16/1/03 at 07:14 PM

I used Maxi balljoints, Quinten Hazel QSJ602S, they fitted fine. In fact the whole front end went together perfectly as per the book.

Steve

interestedparty - 16/1/03 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by highspeeddirt
I used Maxi balljoints, Quinten Hazel QSJ602S, they fitted fine. In fact the whole front end went together perfectly as per the book.

Steve

I don't get that, the book doesn't use Sierra hubs it uses Cortina

John

chrisg - 16/1/03 at 09:20 PM

And it sort of makes you wonder why MK have to drill the Sierra uprights for the Maxi ball joint and you didn't, are there two types of Maxi joints?

Cheers

Chris

Viper - 16/1/03 at 09:29 PM

I believe that TVR used the sierra uprights on the griff and chimeara, i wonder what bottom ball joint they used?

rayward - 16/1/03 at 11:50 PM

maxi ball joints fit ok with cortina hubs, as book but if you use sierra hubs and maxi balljoints the bottom taper needs reaming to 15 degrees to fit properly

Barker - 17/1/03 at 08:46 AM

Does the vauxhall astra ones need any redrilling?

or are there others that dont ??

pete

highspeeddirt - 17/1/03 at 02:17 PM

Sorry my mistake! I guess I should read the whole question before jumping in. I'm off back to the garage now where it's dark.

Steve

James - 17/1/03 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barker
Does the vauxhall astra ones need any redrilling?

or are there others that dont ??

pete

The guy who runs the Lolocost stand at shows suggested to me that these were worth a try but that's all I know. I'd recommend you take your hub into the motor factors and see what fits!

The only thing to bear in mind is whether the wishbones are built to suit the BJ. The ends of MK and Book wishbones are different (MK have stronger circular hole, Book has weaker (IMO) semi-circular mounting). So if the Astra are like a Maxi joint it may be something worth considering.

Anyway, enough nonsensical gibberish,

HTH,

James