Board logo

2.8 xri4x4 D plate
ady77 - 27/3/06 at 04:23 PM

Hi I have the chance of a complete xr4x4 on a D plate. Does any one no what is the BHP of this motor as standard? Would I be able to run 45’s or 48’s Webbers.
Would the 2.8 engine fit in to the GTS chassis? The guy is asking around £60 for the lot. Should I buy?

Many thanks Ady (Lincolnshire)

joolsmi16 - 27/3/06 at 04:30 PM

I thinks its about 150bhp on the mechanical injection the 2.9 had a little more torque.

fesycresy - 27/3/06 at 04:43 PM

Buy it for the rear beam, you'll get an LSD and disc brakes.

If you're refering to twin 45's etc, then you're stuffed, remember it's a V6. I should imagine there are carb conversions but I suspect expensive.

There are a lot easier ways to get to 150bhp. Forget the motor, use a bike engine !

mark chandler - 27/3/06 at 05:25 PM

As the man said, buy it for the complete rear end.

The engine/gearbox is worthless, as are the front suspension bits, hubs etc.

You may be able to salvage the front disc's but the hubs are designed around driven wheels.

If its got ABS then no master cylinder although the pedals and column should be saved.

I paid £100 6 months ago for one, took 3 hours to cut out the above, the rest was craned off at the breakers for free,

Regards Mark

ady77 - 27/3/06 at 05:50 PM

I like to thought of using a bike engine, may seem a silly question but how do u drive the prop from a bike engine? any pic's any one?

many thanks ady

fesycresy - 27/3/06 at 05:57 PM

With the engine turned through 90 the output shaft of the gearbox points to the rear of the car.

A splined adaptor slips over the shaft which bolts up as a sprocket would.

Bolt the prop onto this.

Hellfire - 27/3/06 at 06:14 PM

Have a look on our website. It should give you some idea of how a BEC goes together.

Phil