Board logo

Steering Wheel Height
timwest167 - 7/4/06 at 10:21 AM

After a few comments on the height of my steering wheel - It's as low as I could get it on my Avon, but most Avons are high - I was wondering if people could measure vertically from the centre of their steering wheel to the floor. Doesn't matter what 7 replica you have, I'd be interested to know...

Thanks,

Tim

DarrenW - 7/4/06 at 11:02 AM

i had that problem at SVA. Im not sure the distance you request will help as SVA use a 'gauge' from the drivers seat.

At SVA i had adjustable column and std sierra wheel. Tester was a touch shorter than me and sitting in the car the top of wheel was in his eyeline looking forward. Because of this he got the gauge out. I quick check might be to get someone around 5'10 to sit in car and make sure their view thro a theoretical windscreen is not obscured by the wheel.

To fix mine i had to lower the column (column brackets need some slight adjustication - not the chassis brackets) and fit smaller aftermarket wheel (approx 13" with collapsible boss. At retest he just sat in and confirmed it was OK - gauge didnt come out again.

Does this help?

mark chandler - 7/4/06 at 06:40 PM

I don,t know if its of much help as I have yet to fit seats but mines coming in with the centre of the wheel 20" from the floor.

I prefer an angled wheel so have taken the column under splash panel that covers your feet, most seem to go over this and straight into the car.

Regards Mark