Board logo

Alloy Wheel Repair
joneh - 22/3/14 at 09:58 PM

Hi all,

The clear lacquer is going milky and bubbling on my Jeeps wheels. Can anyone recommend a refurb company in the Southampton / Fareham / Portsmouth area?

Or has anyone tried doing it themselves and got tips?

Ta
Jon

Ben_Copeland - 23/3/14 at 07:30 AM

Just do it yourself, if there's any damage that needs filling use metal chemical metal and sand down afterwards. Prime, paint and use a decent tough lacquer. Job done,

joneh - 23/3/14 at 05:58 PM

Ok may have a go myself. Got any tips? I need to strip the lacquer off the polished outer edges of the spokes only and re lacquer.

I guess it's only peeling here as they're polished and not keyed.

Here's a eBay image link to see what I'm on about:

http://bit.ly/1hTGiNn

Ben_Copeland - 23/3/14 at 06:38 PM

Ouch that's going to be tricky. Not sure how you'd get the lacquer off without damaging the shiny surface underneath.

twybrow - 23/3/14 at 07:28 PM

I have just done a light refurb on a set of alloys I have. Annoyingly 3 of them worked really well, but the paint reacted on the 4th, meaning today has been spent rubbing one wheel back down. Oh joy.

I found a couple of businesses in the Southampton area who can blast, dip and powder coat for £30 a wheel. I have not tried them as I was happy to have a go myself first. I cant recall the names of the places, but if you want them I can do some searching...?

Thailoz - 23/3/14 at 09:07 PM

I did a set of wheel simaler to that on a honda 750 I had same problem the painted part was fine but the polished part was peeling .

What I did was mask of all the painted areas first then proceed with wet and dry paper of incrreasing grages and scotch bright.

I polished them with 1000 grit and lacerd them came up a treat lot of work tho.