Board logo

Plasma cutters
xhead - 20/12/09 at 10:21 PM

How accurate are Plasma cutters? Can they be used as an alternative to a 'chop saw'? Is it possible to use to cut box section?

mistergrumpy - 20/12/09 at 10:24 PM

If you're thinking of using one to cut chassis rails then I wouldn't bother. They're not that accurate and from what I've seen some leave a bit of a scraggly edge. Just get a good hacksaw and off you go.

xhead - 20/12/09 at 11:29 PM

Knackered elbow precludes a hacksaw, I need a power alternative. What are the options?

dhutch - 20/12/09 at 11:29 PM

Sounds about right.
- CNC controled there very capable, but there will always be dross (scaggy bits on the underside of the cut) an hand held ones are only as good as your handholding!

They also would need to cut round all sides of a box section typically as thy dont have the throw.

Daniel

blakep82 - 20/12/09 at 11:36 PM

chop saw would be your best

Chippy - 20/12/09 at 11:39 PM

The Rage saw seems to be fairly inexpensive, and the smaller one has enough capacity for the stuff used building a se7en. Can't recall who has them, but seem to recall there about £85. HTH Ray

xhead - 20/12/09 at 11:45 PM

Ta,

I'll have look at one. Thanks for the input -probably saved me a few pennies and a lot of frustration.

dhutch - 21/12/09 at 12:56 AM

Horizontal Bandsaw all the way.

Image for ref only.

mark chandler - 21/12/09 at 02:48 AM

Fantastic for cutting sheet metal, especially ali as it clogs saw blades.

Not so good for 1" box or tube, although useful for 2" stuff.

Bandsaws and power hacksaws are bulky, If you arm is shot these are very good and surprisingly accurate, just use with a little oil. Also good for pruning trees! Rescued attachment Power Reciprocating Saw.jpg
Rescued attachment Power Reciprocating Saw.jpg

Angel Acevedo - 21/12/09 at 03:30 AM

^*1

907 - 21/12/09 at 06:28 AM

My experience of plasma is that for every 5 minutes of cutting you will spend half an hour grinding.
Consumables are not cheap either.

I would recommend a small band saw. I bought mine new several years ago (£190) and have added
a coolant pump (fish tank) and braced the legs. Using bi-metal blades it will cut 2" SS tube in a couple
of minutes, dead square. It will also do compound angles if cutting box section for chassis.

These come up all the time on eBay. There's one at the moment for fifty quid. (180444827037)
They just need a quality blade and the blade guides set right.

Upgrading mine is the next thing on my list but at the moment funds don't allow.
The wife says food and rent are more important. Women Huh!

Paul G Rescued attachment IMGP1523s.jpg
Rescued attachment IMGP1523s.jpg

mad4x4 - 21/12/09 at 07:50 AM

Plasma cutters are good

But for cutting chassis rails Power hacksaw as above ^^ or a CHOP Saw.

For working on the old landy and cutting out bits of knackered chassis and repair plates etc. Plasma all the time. Bit like a GAS axe os only as accurate as the operator.

Bluemoon - 21/12/09 at 09:58 AM

^^ If I was making a chassis I'd get the a band saw.. The only snag might be compound angle cuts not sure you can do these..

Dan

mr henderson - 21/12/09 at 01:27 PM

I got a Rage saw, got fed up of being showered in hot metal swarf, and the frequent snatchings.

So I bought a small bandsaw instead, excellent. Tricky to get it cutting square, but once set up it's just the job

907 - 21/12/09 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
^^ If I was making a chassis I'd get the a band saw.. The only snag might be compound angle cuts not sure you can do these..

Dan

O Ye of little faith.

Paul G Rescued attachment compound angle.jpg
Rescued attachment compound angle.jpg

wilkingj - 22/12/09 at 12:36 PM

907 to the rescue again!.... Where there is a Will there is a way!

For the money you spend on a saw, you could buy a pre-cut chassis from Armoto (on Ebay) and he also frequents this forum. (the saw cost would offset the extra cost of the pre cut parts over the raw metal costs)

Still I prefer having the tools, as you can use them for other things afterwards.

907 - 22/12/09 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
907 to the rescue again!.... Where there is a Will there is a way!

For the money you spend on a saw, you could buy a pre-cut chassis from Armoto (on Ebay) and he also frequents this forum. (the saw cost would offset the extra cost of the pre cut parts over the raw metal costs)

Still I prefer having the tools, as you can use them for other things afterwards.

But but but but.....what if..........you bought a second hand saw, built your chassis, and sold it on afterwards?

What if you bought wisely, and sold at a profit?

Paul G

JoelP - 22/12/09 at 07:33 PM

mine doesnt cut square, which i know is my fault, but its damned fiddly adjusting it.

907 - 23/12/09 at 06:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
mine doesnt cut square, which i know is my fault, but its damned fiddly adjusting it.

Hi Joel,

I suspect your problem might be the guide bearings not holding the blade tight enough. (see pic)
However, a blunt blade will tend to run off.

see next post. Rescued attachment saw blade clamp.jpg
Rescued attachment saw blade clamp.jpg

907 - 23/12/09 at 06:50 AM

see pic.

With a 14mm spanner loosen top nut slightly.

With a thin 12mm spanner turn the eccentric bearing shaft to tighten the bearing against the blade.

Re tighten top nut.

Repeat for other guide.

I find it's best to adjust with the direction the blade goes so it doesn't come loose.
(Same principle as a grinding wheel stays on a grinder. e.g. Hand tighten, remove with a spanner.)

Hope this helps
Merry Xmas
Paul G Rescued attachment saw adj.jpg
Rescued attachment saw adj.jpg

JoelP - 23/12/09 at 02:53 PM

well bugger me i never knew it was eccentric. Cheers paul!

im sure eccentric isnt the word but i know what you mean

[Edited on 23/12/09 by JoelP]

wilkingj - 23/12/09 at 03:37 PM

Bows Down in front of The Great 907.... Great is his Wisdom

Alan B - 23/12/09 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
well bugger me i never knew it was eccentric. Cheers paul!

im sure eccentric isnt the word but i know what you mean

[Edited on 23/12/09 by JoelP]

Joel, eccentric is exactly the correct word.

HTH,

Alan

907 - 23/12/09 at 08:23 PM

^^^^^^ up 2

Steady on Geoff mate. Tone it down a bit.

Happy Christmas

Cheers
Paul G

NS Dev - 30/12/09 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
My experience of plasma is that for every 5 minutes of cutting you will spend half an hour grinding.
Consumables are not cheap either.

I would recommend a small band saw. I bought mine new several years ago (£190) and have added
a coolant pump (fish tank) and braced the legs. Using bi-metal blades it will cut 2" SS tube in a couple
of minutes, dead square. It will also do compound angles if cutting box section for chassis.

These come up all the time on eBay. There's one at the moment for fifty quid. (180444827037)
They just need a quality blade and the blade guides set right.

Upgrading mine is the next thing on my list but at the moment funds don't allow.
The wife says food and rent are more important. Women Huh!

Paul G

Do I recall that you are working for yourself now?

Sounds a familiar tale