Board logo

SilverLine Spanners
The Great Fandango - 9/12/07 at 11:55 AM

Has anyone had any experiences with "SilverLine" tools?

I'd bought a load of flexible head ratchet spanners to compliment my Halfords set.

When they arrived the quality was no where near Halford and to top it all off the chrome plating had started to chip on several.

:0(

Was contemplating whether to send the whole damn lot back and buy better?

[Edited on 9/12/07 by The Great Fandango]

thunderace - 9/12/07 at 12:04 PM

there very cheep and nasty you get them in the cash and carry ,STICK WITH HALFORDS .

I love speed :-P - 9/12/07 at 12:07 PM

I have found that with Silverline some of the stuff is fantastic, very good value for money, and the rest is Chinese rubbish. Most of the stuff they do has a life time quarantine for manufacturing defects, so if your not happy with them send them back

Peteff - 9/12/07 at 05:48 PM

And a guarantee . I have some of their ordinary combination spanners for backup and they are perfectly adequate, a bit shorter than my Britools so they are handy for some tighter situations. I can't comment on the ratchet spanners as they are something I've never felt I needed.

I love speed :-P - 9/12/07 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
And a guarantee

Good old spell check

NS Dev - 10/12/07 at 01:22 PM

My experience of silverline tools is pretty shocking.

I snapped a 13mm spanner into my hand at work not so long ago which hurt a lot.

I also managed to snap the spindle clean off inside a silverline 18v cordless drill, which then smoked a lot and tried to catch fire.

I'll stick with my makita methinks.

ady8077 - 10/12/07 at 01:39 PM

Hi all

I've just bought a couple of Magnusson ratchet spanners from B&Q, seem good quality for the price

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9676801&fh_start_index=24&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_s earch=spanners&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1197293782299&isSearch=true

Adrian

02GF74 - 11/12/07 at 10:48 AM

I picked up a few of the spanners at LR show to fill in gaps from my 6-25 mm spanner range and so far all is well. I cannot say I have had to to a stuck bolt so don;t know how they will far but the jaws show no signs of wear. chrome is fine too so for the money, I am well pleased.

... but if you can afford it, then halfords professional are very good quality but more expensive but still good value.