Board logo

service pack 3 activation
mkblade - 30/8/08 at 08:34 AM

hi all
my computer downdloaded the above last night now its asking for activation code which should be on a sticker on the computer .there is no windows sticker ..

it was all loaded on when i bought the computer of ebay a few years back about 3 years ago

rung micosoft and theres nothing they will do as it may be a copy version.

i now have 29 days before shutdown..

any ideas
simon

Humbug - 30/8/08 at 08:43 AM

Uninstall SP3?

UncleFista - 30/8/08 at 09:30 AM

Download "Belarc advisor" (it's free) if you run it, it'll produce a report on your PC, it'll tell you all about the hardware and software in/on your PC.

It also tells you your windows reg key

mookaloid - 30/8/08 at 09:36 AM

I seem to remember downloading a utility which when run gave the windows key which was used when windows was installed

something here?

Cheers

Mark

UncleFista - 30/8/08 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I seem to remember downloading a utility which when run gave the windows key which was used when windows was installed

That'll be Belarc Advisor

MikeRJ - 30/8/08 at 10:58 AM

Magical Jelly Bean is very straightforward to use to both find your registration key and to change it if required.

cloudy - 30/8/08 at 02:59 PM

The fact it's asking for activation implies the currently installed serial is on the blacklist. Only solution is a XP crack or buying a legal copy... Suggest you contact the ebay seller and report to ebay for selling stolen software

saigonij - 30/8/08 at 03:22 PM

good old WGA.

you might have a genuine licence - its not unknown for microsoft to get it wrong. i think the wga screw up rate is 2%. which is quite alot when you work out the numbers.