Board logo

Wing piping, plastic vs rubber vs 'P profile'
trevw - 1/5/24 at 01:44 PM

Hi all,

am doing a rebuild and am going to be replacing all my piping after an imminent re-spray. The old piping is hollow plastic wing piping. Looking around ( there wasn't much of an internet when I first built the car) it seems there is more choice and there are a few main non fabric types..

e.g.

Any thoughts on what works best? Also longevity?

I wondered if the P profile might sit better between wheel arch and body panel - but the rubber might look scruffy over time? And you'd need to match elsewhere (under scuttle etc.) - and getting the curve might be harder as the rubber looks quite thick?

Do you get a better look with the smaller cross section piping 'bead' (I guess this is in the eye of the beholder but I'm interested in opinions/images if you have them)

thanks!

Trevor

nick205 - 1/5/24 at 02:26 PM

On my MK Indy between the rear arches and tub I used this type of stuff

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/wing-piping-55mm-dia-x-38mm

I cut "V"s out of the flat section to allow it to follow the curve. Looked fine for the 3 years 3k miles I ran the car.

trevw - 1/5/24 at 02:59 PM

Thanks Nick - I think that's my 'go to' option, very similar to what I used first time round and it held up well.
wondering if anyone has used the other options

[Edited on 1/5/24 by trevw]

40inches - 2/5/24 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by trevw
Thanks Nick - I think that's my 'go to' option, very similar to what I used first time round and it held up well.
wondering if anyone has used the other options

[Edited on 1/5/24 by trevw]

I used the same as Nick. 13 years and still looking good. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"