Board logo

New MNR GM3 pictures
MK9R - 19/12/12 at 01:24 PM

I cant resit putting a few pics up of the new car being built between ourselves and MNR, The MNR GM3.

The chassis is based on the Vortx, but is a chain driven, front engined configuration. The first chassis (mine) is 9" shorter than a standard Vortx to minimise the weight and weight distribution and to reduce the drivers compartment to the exact length to fit my "limited height" stature, and allowing the engine to be moved back as far as possible into the passenger compartment to still meet RGB regs (75%). The rear diff is a visocous type unit from an RS turbo, and the rear chassis modified to suit. The suspension geometry is exactly the same as a standard Vortx but the way it all ties back to the chassis is completely changed, something that Mark is looking to do to the Vortx in the future as its such a tidy solution. Due to the distance between the engine and rear diff an idler gear is mounted in the tunnel so 2 chains will be used to span the distance. The chassis is still in progress so lots more tubes etc to be added.

The Bodywork is completely new, being built by myself and father. We are using the nose we initially deesigned and built for the exiting fury, but is having to be widened by 6" due to the wider track width. The rear body work is a new design that we bult and tested on the fury to balance out the extra downforce created at the front by the nose. All the rest is/will be completly new. The New bodywork once complete will fit any standard existing or new Vortx, and will be available through ourselves and MNR. Obviously this a still sometime away from being completed as we are still only making the buck.

Once finished the car will be tested, developed and raced in the RGB series.

[Edited on 19/12/12 by MK9R]

dave107 - 19/12/12 at 01:28 PM

where are the pictures.

dave107 - 19/12/12 at 01:33 PM

looks cool.

richardh - 19/12/12 at 01:54 PM

likey

HowardB - 19/12/12 at 02:06 PM

that explains the desire for the classic bonnet! Looks good, can't wait to see the finished car,..

MK9R - 19/12/12 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
that explains the desire for the classic bonnet! Looks good, can't wait to see the finished car,..

As it turns out none of the bonnet is being used now anyway, infact not a single piece of fury DNA is left.

Trouble I have now is I have no bodywork for the old fury to start next season as it s all been destroyed, so I may still be looking, lol

scootz - 19/12/12 at 02:18 PM

Interesting project!

I have to ask though...

Why did you go for chains?

And, is it a LHD car (I'm thinking about the engine being viased towards the drivers side).

MK9R - 19/12/12 at 02:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Interesting project!

I have to ask though...

Why did you go for chains?

And, is it a LHD car (I'm thinking about the engine being viased towards the drivers side).

Was waiting for both those questions.

Yes its left hand drive due to engine/driver relationship. It should also give good weight distribution unlike normal rear engine cars where engine and driver are on the same side. Scott mittels class r car is LHD to balance out engine and driver.

A few reasons for chain drive:-
Less transmission losses than normal car diff
Lighter (not massive but defo lighter) even including idler
Possible to quickly and easily change drive ratios for different circuit's, a big advantage over all other class f cars
C of g of engine can be moved closer to longitudinal c of g of car
Just because....

HowardB - 19/12/12 at 02:36 PM

"just because"

the ONLY reason that a man and his shed ever need

TimC - 19/12/12 at 03:34 PM

Not to put to fine a point on it, this is probably the best thing that could've happened to RGB Class F - genuine fresh thinking and innovation. It's going to be great to see it out.

On a personal note, I can't help feeling excited about pitting my very traditional new car (live axle, outboard shocks, engine where a X-flow would normally go) against something so mad.

Bravo for being nuts enough to dream it up and well done Marc & Chris for getting involved.

Now try not to make it look like a morose Guppy.

scootz - 19/12/12 at 03:44 PM

You only had to say 'just because'. That's always good enough for me!

adithorp - 19/12/12 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Not to put to fine a point on it, this is probably the best thing that could've happened to RGB Class F - genuine fresh thinking and innovation. It's going to be great to see it out.

On a personal note, I can't help feeling excited about pitting my very traditional new car (live axle, outboard shocks, engine where a X-flow would normally go) against something so mad.

Bravo for being nuts enough to dream it up and well done Marc & Chris for getting involved.

Now try not to make it look like a morose Guppy.

Got to agree with most of that... The last bit's a tad cruel though...

MK9R - 19/12/12 at 04:38 PM

We modelled the last car on Mr Cheney, well pick someone different this time

nick205 - 19/12/12 at 04:59 PM

Looks well Austen, particularly like the way the chassis has been adapted, no rear overhang at all by the look of it?

Where does the fuel tank sit?

MK9R - 19/12/12 at 05:05 PM

Fuel tank will go up the front as long as weight distribution is OK with that. Idea is to leave positioning until the end when we can pit it on corner weights
It can go at rear of need be

Tris - 19/12/12 at 06:44 PM

Looking good mate, like what has been previously said, its the best thing to happen to class f for a while. Most important question though - with it being wider, will it still fit in the bus ?

Whats the plan for the air box ? - some sort of 90 deg bend ?

With the engine now in that orientation, i guess it would also be ideal from a performance (and cost) point of view to try and use more of the stock manifold - there room underneath the engine to route ?

[Edited on 19/12/12 by Tris]

JoelP - 19/12/12 at 07:58 PM

Heading towards the dp1 layout. I always fancied having a bike engine longtitudinal in the passanger seat, which keeps it rhd.

woodster - 19/12/12 at 08:15 PM

Very nice , I like the way you modelled it in mdf , how did you manage to bend it for the front wings ?

stevebubs - 19/12/12 at 09:01 PM

Looks good. Just one thing I'm sure you've already checked - do the lights have enough clearance to the wheels?

MK9R - 19/12/12 at 09:39 PM

Tris,
It should fit in bus with 15mm to spare, although we have got to modify the seat brackets

Exhaust will be custom Tony law again I think, can't go under engine as set as low as possible. Hoping to keep airbox completely stock, I'm using a Zx 10 with the secondary injectors

Woodster,

Its 2 layers of the thin MDF with the grooves cut in it so it bends easily, glued together over a former

Steve,
We spent lots of time checking wheel clearances, obviously the outer this is just a guide for the flared arches. The head light area is going to be completely redesigned so the flat arches blend down into the nose, loosing the fury style flat area for the lights

jeffw - 20/12/12 at 11:30 AM

Interesting solution to the problem. I'm intrigued as to how you will tension two long chain runs, it seems that you would need to keep the centre double sprocket stationary and have the adjustment on the axle and the engine. Some sort of spring loaded automatic tensioner pressing on the chain?

[Edited on 20/12/12 by jeffw]

MK9R - 20/12/12 at 11:58 AM

The idler and rear diff has adjustment, engine is fixed. So set front chain tension using idler, then set rear chain with diff

big_l - 14/1/13 at 10:11 PM

Mega should really help with gearing no more daft 3.14 £999
Typical MNR quality

MK9R - 16/1/13 at 12:01 PM

A few more pictures of where we are today, comments (good or bad) greatly appreciated:-

[Edited on 16/1/13 by MK9R]

[Edited on 16/1/13 by MK9R]

HowardB - 16/1/13 at 12:46 PM

that is cool, I am really impressed, is there enough bonnet bulge under the roof?

CNHSS1 - 16/1/13 at 12:58 PM

REALLY liking that!

MK9R - 16/1/13 at 01:03 PM

quote:
that is cool, I am really impressed, is there enough bonnet bulge under the roof?

Extra bulges required for engines. Decided against try to create a bulge that fits all engines, as they never do. Plan was to make as low as possible but still fit standard MNR chassis, which it does, even the standard scuttle cross member

MK9R - 23/1/13 at 08:50 AM

LHS copied to RHS now.

Thinking of using pop up headlights that flip the panel all the way back so will lift lights high enough for IVA. Although not sure on legaqlity of flip up headlights nowadays. i supose they could be stuck in the upright position for IVA

HowardB - 23/1/13 at 09:04 AM

very cool, I can just imagine that it will be great when finished,...

MK9R - 27/2/13 at 08:08 AM

Latest pictures, we pushed her outside to get some daylight shot and view the lines from a distance. We are pretty damn happy so far!!! Since reviewing outside we have raised the rear deck by 40mm so the line sweeping up from the side sills continues to the rear, and we also felt that due to the increased down force that will be generated by the wider front (compared to the fury we tested the rear deck on last year) we needed to try and increase the rear downforce slightly. If it creates too much drag or is still not balance correctly we have a sneaky plan that will allow the angle of the rear deck to be adjustable. Last night we started on the backs of the rear arches, these are blending down to create a flat face to mount the under tray/difusser to.

[Edited on 27/2/13 by MK9R]

whitestu - 27/2/13 at 08:30 AM

Do you have any plans to offer a roof option?

Stu

MK9R - 27/2/13 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

Stu

Is that a serious question?? If there is enough interest i'm sure its something i would look at in the future. I've only every really considered the racing/track day side of things, but as the project is progressing and the bodywork evolving i am wondering if people may want it for the road.

MK9R - 27/2/13 at 08:37 AM

We also think that it would be relatively simple to make the body work narrower to fit a fury/pheonix/locost chassis. There is already provision in the design to shorten the wheelbase as we have to shorten it by 9" for our chain drive car.

TimC - 27/2/13 at 09:42 AM

It's a cracker. It's a shame that it will need a bonnet scoop.

MK9R - 27/2/13 at 10:06 AM

quote:
It's a cracker. It's a shame that it will need a bonnet scoop.

It actualy wont be too large, the bonnet height rises to the same height as a standard vortx, and those dont need a big scoop at all, even with the 08 CBR in there. As for the GM3 chain drive car, the engine will be under the scuttle area, so hoping to come up with something natty

whitestu - 27/2/13 at 10:16 AM

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stu
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a serious question?? If there is enough interest i'm sure its something i would look at in the future. I've only every really considered the racing/track day side of things, but as the project is progressing and the bodywork evolving i am wondering if people may want it for the road.

Slightly tongue in cheek as I'm fed up with the weather! It does surprise me though that there aren't any options for hard top body on a 7 type chassis.

Stu

MK9R - 27/2/13 at 07:22 PM

quote:
quote:

quote:

Stu

Slightly tongue in cheek as I'm fed up with the weather! It does surprise me though that there aren't any options for hard top body on a 7 type chassis.

Stu

Limited market I assume, more work to make, and probably hard to make it look good

Wheels244 - 27/2/13 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
We also think that it would be relatively simple to make the body work narrower to fit a fury/pheonix/locost chassis. There is already provision in the design to shorten the wheelbase as we have to shorten it by 9" for our chain drive car.

If you can make it fit a Locost chassis - I'll order one now - no joke.

MK9R - 28/2/13 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
quote:

If you can make it fit a Locost chassis - I'll order one now - no joke.

Let me produce a few sets of standard bodywork first, then we maybe looking for a guinea pig

[Edited on 28/2/13 by MK9R]

Benzo - 28/2/13 at 05:21 PM

That looks absolutely Smashing, well done Austen!

[Edited on 28/2/13 by Benzo]

MK9R - 1/3/13 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
That looks absolutely Smashing, well done Austen!

[Edited on 28/2/13 by Benzo]

Thanks for all the positive comments!

kajzw - 9/3/13 at 09:24 PM

Had a cheeky nosey over the chassis whilst I was at MNR today - fantastic idea and brilliant bit of kit! Best of luck with it, shall follow your progress with interest!

Regards,

Keith

MK9R - 10/3/13 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kajzw
Had a cheeky nosey over the chassis whilst I was at MNR today - fantastic idea and brilliant bit of kit! Best of luck with it, shall follow your progress with interest!

Regards,

Keith

Yeah marks done a great job bringing our plan together. Looking forward to going up there soon and getting stuck in again

MK9R - 29/3/13 at 02:27 PM

Big blog update today, loads of photos of the GM3 there if you fancy a look. Its getting primed this afternoon so should get some more photos this weekend

Ivan - 29/3/13 at 03:15 PM

How about giving us a link to the blog Austin.

MK9R - 29/3/13 at 03:25 PM

Oops

WWW.austen.greenway.co.uk

[Edited on 29/3/13 by MK9R]

MK9R - 31/3/13 at 07:54 PM

High build primer applied and rear corners finished

More pictures on my website, stupid google+ wont copy the links to the jpegs!!

[Edited on 31/3/13 by MK9R]

TimC - 31/3/13 at 08:01 PM

Are you keeping it that excellent beige colour?

MK9R - 31/3/13 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Are you keeping it that excellent beige colour?

We saw your chassis and fell in love with it

Its actually more of a green colour In the flesh, pretty vile but the high build really fills in a lot of the surface imperfections and is excellent to rub down

kajzw - 5/4/13 at 09:18 PM

Looks great! Will keep an eye out at Stoneleigh. How's the chassis coming on?

MK9R - 22/4/13 at 08:17 AM

99.9% there now, all constructed, just the blemishes to smooth out and then its off to the mould shop in the next few days.

fesycresy - 22/4/13 at 08:29 AM

Looks a slippery little bugger

MK9R - 22/4/13 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Looks a slippery little bugger

Fingers crossed!!!

welderman - 22/4/13 at 09:41 AM

You have put alot of time in making that nice looking baby

amalyos - 22/4/13 at 10:29 AM

Looks good Austen. Not wishing the season away, but can't wait to get it on my chassis

TimC - 22/4/13 at 11:12 AM

Long thin rad or lots of ducting?

MK9R - 22/4/13 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Long thin rad or lots of ducting?

Same opening we have now but wider. Currently use a polo rad but the new car we will go lower and wider

iank - 22/4/13 at 06:19 PM

Pretty car, if it goes as well as it looks then it'll be a lot of fun

HowardB - 22/4/13 at 07:25 PM

Any idea when the first outing will be, or will there be some testing at Mallory that we can come and watch?

Volvorsport - 22/4/13 at 08:21 PM

what happens if the chain snaps...?

MK9R - 22/4/13 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Any idea when the first outing will be, or will there be some testing at Mallory that we can come and watch?

Was hoping to have buck at stoneleigh but obviously that's not gonna happen
Hopefully get a body out the mould by mid summer. We have people waiting for the body to put on their vortex (hello Steve), but we hope to have our car out on circuit at the end of the year for some serious winter testing

MK9R - 22/4/13 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport

There will be chain guards fitted. No more dangerous than a prop letting go or a rear engine car as long as there is proper guards in place

Volvorsport - 22/4/13 at 08:37 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport

There will be chain guards fitted. No more dangerous than a prop letting go or a rear engine car as long as there is proper guards in place

good ...

i was just reading about record breaking chap who lost his head when the chain snapped.......