Board logo

Audi A4 Avant All Road Quattro-Stop/Start failure
ghostrain - 22/4/11 at 10:40 AM

Normally I switch off the Stop/Start function-I just don't like it-the fuel saving must be minimal. However I forgot to switch it off,stopped at a level crossing and it stopped the engine. Normally if I press the stop/start switch the engine will restart but this time it didn't and then it was not possible to restart using the key. By then the level crossing was open and I was holding a long line of traffic. In the end I had to take the key out,lock the car,unlock the car and restarted with the key.
Sometimes in the mornings,especially if the car has not been used for a few days I press the start key and it will be a few seconds before the engine starts-other times it will start instantly. Of course it never shows this when I present it to my Audi dealer.
Anyone else got the same car?
Anyone know how to permanently disable the stop/start function.
Otherwise I absolutely love the car,so much better than BMW's in the bad weather,feels rock solid on the road.

auroan - 22/4/11 at 11:14 AM

It can be done using VCDS (vag-com). If your near York I can have a look for you.

britishtrident - 22/4/11 at 12:13 PM

Sounds like it is immobiliser transponder related, try it with the spare key if that makes no difference I would suspect the antenna for the immobiliser transponder chip, the antenna is usually fitted round the ignition lock.