Board logo

Seven type cars and helmets
Autosri - 22/12/11 at 08:08 PM

Do any of you use helmets when on the roads while out in your seven type cars if so do you have full windscreens

Thanks guys

austin man - 22/12/11 at 08:13 PM

many people wear helmets without screens, my personal preference is a good pair of glasses. I wear a helmet when the weather is bad and on the track. I dont have a screen fitted just a smaeel wind deflector these push the air over your head

David Jenkins - 22/12/11 at 08:13 PM

I wore a full-face helmet before I fitted a windscreen - things flying into your face hurt! Bumble-bees are more than exciting enough when you hit them at 70mph.

The helmet also protects your ears from excessive wind noise (if you get a decent one).

[Edited on 22/12/11 by David Jenkins]

Ben_Copeland - 22/12/11 at 08:14 PM

I tend to use mine on motorway and when it's cold/raining.

You don't have to but it helps when 70mph+ stones hit you in face.

If you have a screen you wouldn't need helmet I should think

David Jenkins - 22/12/11 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
If you have a screen you wouldn't need helmet I should think

I find that I do need goggles with the windscreen when getting a move on. You still get some muck sneaking round the edge of the screen!

carlknight1982 - 22/12/11 at 08:27 PM

I tried using a pair of goggles to begin with but much prefer a full face helmet, I find it more comfortable, i only have a small areoscreen fitted

HowardB - 22/12/11 at 08:36 PM

belt and braces, so yes, full screen and helmet too,... lucky as when I had a shunt I submarined in the harness and bashed my head on the windscreen.

Also agree on keeping the noise down,..

atm92484 - 22/12/11 at 09:42 PM

Pretty much all of the time. It makes longer drives much more comfortable by reducing wind buffetting and noise. I also had a run in with a deer earlier in the year. Fortunately it did not come through the windshield but it did make the helmet seem like a much better idea.

jeffw - 22/12/11 at 09:57 PM

Full face all the time (my glasses wouldn't stay on over 30mph anyway.

Coopz - 22/12/11 at 10:33 PM

Full face helmet...When I stall (new to BEC) no one can see me through my tinted visor

ReMan - 23/12/11 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
many people wear helmets without screens, my personal preference is a good pair of glasses. I wear a helmet when the weather is bad and on the track. I dont have a screen fitted just a smaeel wind deflector these push the air over your head

Ditto plus planned trips on motorway an long journeys when the noise is too much of a good thing

eddie99 - 23/12/11 at 12:02 AM

Helmet on pretty much all the time without screen..

sorens2 - 23/12/11 at 07:41 AM

Helmet on always.
Fullface.
Simply for safety, bumble bees, stones, etc.

Soren S2

Autosri - 23/12/11 at 08:29 AM

Cheers guys might be digging out my full face helmet

bobinspain - 23/12/11 at 09:56 AM

Yet to get my car out here, but I went through your thought process 3-4 months ago.
In 10 years here, no windscreen damage due to stones, (unlike A12 in UK. 3 windscreens in a year).
My car will have aeroscreen only.
I've bought a full-face (Nolan).
Because it gets a tad warm here, I've bought Bolle polycarbonate goggles. (I use Bolle sunglasses anyway) and a 'paintballling' mesh nose/chin mask, (about 7 quid).
I have a daft leather flying helmet for my quad anyway, so I reckon that should cover all eventualities when my car arrives in january.

[Edited on 23/12/11 by bobinspain]

Hellfire - 23/12/11 at 10:17 AM

Sunglasses if out on short runs and A roads, otherwise full face helmet.

Phil

whitestu - 23/12/11 at 10:56 AM

I have a full screen. Even driving with sidescreens I wear a helmet on motorways etc. If on slower roads I happily drive without a helmet.

As has been said wearing a helmet when driving at speed makes things more comfortable.

Stu

djtom - 23/12/11 at 11:44 AM

Helmet 100% of the time, I have a tiny aeroscreen and regularly have stones, wasps and other crap bouncing off my visor - at times I've been bloody glad I was wearing it!