Board logo

Oil buring opinions please
Lightning - 11/11/13 at 10:15 AM

He's an odd one

1952 Alvis 3 litre straight 6

Checked oil before starting out, half way up dip stick levels

No burning oil for 15 miles. Get to top of Telegraph hill (steep long hill down).

Get half way down hill, plumes of blue smoke out rear exhausts. I pull over, nothing else appears wrong. Good oil pressure, no knocking, not overheating. Drive on gingerly all smoke goes.

I conclude that the oil in the sump has gone to the front of the engine possible kicked up by crank to bores hence burning oil. This is possibly substantiated by the fact the it has 2 exhausts , one from the front 3 cylinders and the other the rear 3 cylinders . There was more smoke from the front exhaust.

My question is: Could it be anything else??

r1_pete - 11/11/13 at 10:59 AM

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis, being a long engine the change in level at the front of the sump will be far more than on a 4 or a fwd car.

adithorp - 11/11/13 at 11:27 AM

Could also be valve stem oil seals. Going down hill with the throttle shut gives a lot of inet vac' and can suck oil down the inlet valve stems if the seals are worn or hardened.... if it has them.

ReMan - 11/11/13 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Could also be valve stem oil seals. Going down hill with the throttle shut gives a lot of inet vac' and can suck oil down the inlet valve stems if the seals are worn or hardened.... if it has them.

my thinking too along those lines that the vacuum has sucked oil in

britishtrident - 11/11/13 at 12:17 PM

Oil is collecting in the top end of the engine, and flooding the valve stem oil seals, first thing to check is the crankcase ventilation.

Lightning - 11/11/13 at 12:28 PM

Good points

It eligibly had hardened valve seats recently although not sure if they looked at the guides. I will check the breathers tonight.

perksy - 11/11/13 at 04:38 PM

Oil seals on the valves, either come adrift or gone hard allowing oil to bypass.
Double check/clean breather system.