Board logo

Posting freeks - bit of a rant
D Beddows - 16/6/11 at 12:18 AM

If you know NOTHING about the subject or have no experience of anything to do with it WHY do people feel compelled to post a reply along the lines of 'I know nothing/have no experience about/of it but I think it's wrong/right' (delete as applicable)........ WHO CARES!!!! and no one in real life is impressed if you get to be one of the top 10 posters on Locostbuilders especially if most OF YOUR POSTS ARE T*SS

and relax........... oh and if you flame me for saying this well..........you need to get out into the real world - the internet is a tool not an alternative reality........lol

[Edited on 16/6/11 by D Beddows]

violentblue - 16/6/11 at 03:12 AM

I really cant comment on that sort of thing, I don't have any experience dealing with this, but if you want my opinion these sort of people just feel the need to be heard, even if what they have to say is drivel. But thats just my uneducated opinion on the subject.

[Edited on 16/6/11 by violentblue]

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/6/11 at 04:59 AM

Oh dear who rattled your cage

LBMEFM - 16/6/11 at 05:39 AM

Can't you guys sleep, no wonder your all rattled being up at that time of night.

LBMEFM - 16/6/11 at 05:39 AM

Can't you guys sleep, no wonder your all rattled being up at that time of night.

Snuggs - 16/6/11 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
I really cant comment on that sort of thing, I don't have any experience dealing with this, but if you want my opinion these sort of people just feel the need to be heard, even if what they have to say is drivel. But thats just my uneducated opinion on the subject.

[Edited on 16/6/11 by violentblue]

+1

Bigboystoys - 16/6/11 at 05:59 AM

Freeks or freaks??? Sorry couldn't help myself

mcerd1 - 16/6/11 at 07:23 AM

the answer is: drink beer and forget about it

I find this works with almost any problem lol

Benzine - 16/6/11 at 07:42 AM

scootz - 16/6/11 at 08:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Oh dear who rattled your cage

I'm guessing it was the MX5 thread... LINKY

mrwibble - 16/6/11 at 08:14 AM

jollygreengiant - 16/6/11 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble

I sometimes wear my bird on my head, but this is just an irrelevant factiod posting so its a bit pointless really, except that she's much better looking than the above bird. Ho Hum enough twaddle, I go now.

Ninehigh - 16/6/11 at 08:57 AM

To be fair I do understand the frustration when you ask a question because your missus is annoyed that this thing that's broke is going to cost too much to repair, and the first three replies you get are:

Don't know anything about it
Have you tried switching it off?
Wear a coat!

indykid - 16/6/11 at 09:17 AM

I have no experience of this, but I think it's pretty much spot on.

Neville Jones - 16/6/11 at 09:30 AM

Worse still, are those who want you to think they know, and post an answer they found on Wikipedia, or another forum.

Most will know how this winds me up, particularly when I am looking at utter garbage written on the screen in front of me.

Misleading and grossly irresponsible at best, downright reckless and dangerous at worst.

Cheers,
Nev.

owelly - 16/6/11 at 09:51 AM

There's a guy over on ppcmag.co.uk/forum who has single-handedly diluted any useful info into pages of crap. He asks random questions then posts up his own answers. He post shed loads of ebay links of stuff he's not buying and then posts more telling folks what he would do with whatever it is he's not buying. And his favourite most annoying trick is exactly the OPs case, he gives 'advise' based on whatever 'knowledge' that happens to be in his head/lifted from wiki.
He says his replies may be plentyful but its for the benefit of lesser-talented folks who need a push in the right direction when using the search facility. So why post up ebay links that woll be gone in a few weeks?!
Now don't think I want these forums to be 100% encyclopedia stuff and I may occasionally wander off topic but because of this bloke, I rarely look over on ppcmag anymore.
See? You've got me started now.....

Peace out my friends.....

Strontium Dog - 16/6/11 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
the internet is a tool not an alternative reality........lol
]

Oh no, then how do I get back? I seem to have been trapped here for ages!

David Jenkins - 16/6/11 at 10:01 AM

I treat this forum like it was a conversation in a pub... a lot of the info is excellent, some is total cobblers, most members contribute good stuff, a very small number are time-wasters. The trick is to do what you do in the pub - pay attention to the interesting people, ignore the pillocks, and double-check anything that looks useful before acting on it. A decent amount of silliness and humour is also welcome!

I've asked questions in the past and have had answers that were just plain wrong - but they've inspired a bit of lateral thinking that led me to the correct answer. Thinking about it, this has happened very often over the years, and I've ended up doing stuff that I would never have thought of without the 'incorrect but inspiring' answers.

scootz - 16/6/11 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
... and double-check anything that looks useful before acting on it.

I've probably wasted a few hundred quid and also plenty of hours by not adhering to this simple rule earlier in my LCB career!

That said, for every wrong answer, I've received many more helpful ones! Top site and most of the posters seem decent spuds.

Benzine - 16/6/11 at 10:43 AM

quote:
........ WHO CARES!!!!

you, apparently XD

Just read the other thread, if you're talking about blake then he hasn't said 'mx5s are rubbish', he even said "still, if you like it, thats what counts. enjoy". I find "most OF YOUR POSTS ARE T*SS" way more offensive than anything in the MX5 thread. Harsh tbh.

My 20 month old son has experience in an MX5:

His exact words on the mx5: "CAAARRRRRRRRRR!"

blakep82 - 16/6/11 at 10:48 AM

i'm sorry this all appears to be my fault for having an opinion. i won't do it again....

scootz - 16/6/11 at 11:01 AM

Bloody hell Blake... it's ALWAYS you!

Go and stand on the naughty step with just your underpants on!

blakep82 - 16/6/11 at 11:05 AM

don't think i should, i mean i've had no experience of it before, so i don't know if its the right or wrong thing to do...

i mean imagine i said all rapists should be set free to free up space in prisons, or heroin is the best medicine! where would we be then? instead i said i don't see the appeal of mx5s, i didn't even say they were wrong! just its not something i've ever been interested in, much like heroine. i'm sure we'll all agree herion's bad, but how many of us here have tried it? lol i haven't so i can't have an opinion ha ha

Steve Hignett - 16/6/11 at 11:15 AM

Hi there Blake,

I don't know that the OP's remarks were directed at you, but I'd bet a 2011 shiny 5p piece that if they were, then you are nowhere near the main culprit!

I have said the same a while back when I thought someone was posting a whole load of tosh for purely sensationalistic reasons.

And I've never been one to have much patience for the "Look at Meeee" type of person...

On the other hand, I've also commented on a thread where someone (as described above) would post something as a question, then when enough people had replied with decent answers, he'd say that they were all wrong and his way was the right way! Why ask in the first place then? Well, I know why, because he really didn't know the right way - and then he'd ask questions about something when working on other psople's stuff and therefore in a position of responsibility when it comes to their cars etc, yet the question and following argument was of the most fundamentally basic knowledge..........

Sometimes a rant is needed I guess?

scootz - 16/6/11 at 11:17 AM

Naughty step... underpants!

mcerd1 - 16/6/11 at 12:14 PM

quote:
I treat this forum like it was a conversation in a pub...

yes, because it goes better with beer

David Jenkins - 16/6/11 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

Absolutely!

And we get some daft postings when members have had one (or five) too many!

[Edited on 16/6/11 by David Jenkins]

mcerd1 - 16/6/11 at 12:31 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely!

And we get some daft postings when members have had one (or five) too many!

not from scootz thought - he just goes and buys something expencive on ebay

scootz - 16/6/11 at 12:33 PM

Oi... I am here you know!

D Beddows - 16/6/11 at 06:24 PM

Yeah it was Blake that got me started - sorry mate, had my annoyed head on and you popped up with a completely uniformed opinion............ ah well, that's the internet for you Sorry Blake , get that pickup finished (it's actually one of the most interesting builds on here tbh) and enjoy driving it - BUT if it doesn't work I hear MX5's are quite cheap and go round corners rather well.......

scudderfish - 16/6/11 at 07:52 PM

Peteff - 16/6/11 at 11:28 PM

quote:
not from scootz thought - he just goes and buys something expencive on ebay

Then burns it Now what was this thread about, me and Joel?

D Beddows - 17/6/11 at 06:22 PM

actually that's an interesting point - I was looking at the list of top posters after I started this and, although most of you probably need to get out a little more , people like you and Joel (and the vast majority of the list tbh) don't stand out as being extreme posters - probably because if you do post something it usually adds to the thread rather than looking like you feel that you have to reply to every thread whether or not you know anything about the subject........

Anyway, as mentioned elsewhere I'm bored of being controversial again so I'm back off into my cave

[Edited on 17/6/11 by D Beddows]

40inches - 17/6/11 at 06:34 PM

David Jenkins - 17/6/11 at 06:35 PM

quote:
...and, although most of you probably need to get out a little more ,

Do you mean... things happen away from my keyboard?

Richard Quinn - 17/6/11 at 06:46 PM

I was going to say that I had nothing to add but I've just added this

[Edited on 17/6/11 by Richard Quinn]

JoelP - 17/6/11 at 07:07 PM

I think that when you have a high post count, its more on your mind that you dont want to be the guy who posts a load of shite. I find misinformation very annoying myself, but even noobies can get stuff wrong. I dont ever really get annoyed by people posting excessively, i find it more annoying when people are rude, and especially the people who clearly are obnoxious drunks at 6pm! Without naming any names, has anyone else noticed out of character posts?!

Guinness - 17/6/11 at 07:38 PM

Hey Joel, you're my best mate!! Naargggh! Comeonthenhaveagoifyouthinkyourhardenough. Hic!

Hmm kebab...........

scootz - 17/6/11 at 07:54 PM

I suppose my post count is creeping up... and I guess the majority of it is sh*te. That said, I've never proclaimed to be an expert at anything to do with cars... in fact, I'll happily admit that I know the square route of b*gger all! I do most of my learning either on this site, through my (many) mistakes, or via a couple of mates who spanner for a living (and do it well!).

I know what I like and I know what I don't like and I'm happy to state my opinion freely. If folks don't like it, then tough... we're all big boys and girls and will all survive!

JoelP - 17/6/11 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Hey Joel, you're my best mate!! Naargggh! Comeonthenhaveagoifyouthinkyourhardenough. Hic!

Hmm kebab...........

its ok mike, 8pm is the threshold in my books

David Jenkins - 17/6/11 at 08:24 PM

Contrary to what I suggested earlier, I do have a life...
...in fact, I've just returned from the pub!

So... is this the room for an argument?

Ninehigh - 17/6/11 at 08:35 PM

quote:

No, f**k off!

mcerd1 - 17/6/11 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Contrary to what I suggested earlier, I do have a life...
...in fact, I've just returned from the pub!

not untill you've had at least 6 and 3/8 pints

David Jenkins - 17/6/11 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:

No, f**k off!

Peteff - 17/6/11 at 10:55 PM

quote:
actually that's an interesting point - I was looking at the list of top posters after I started this and, although most of you probably need to get out a little more ,

I've been outside, the graphics aren't that good

D Beddows - 18/6/11 at 12:17 AM

The 1st page of this thread went well..... , suppose I deserve the 2nd page

do I care.? nah......it's only the internet

[Edited on 18/6/11 by D Beddows]

Ninehigh - 18/6/11 at 12:23 AM

quote:
The 1st page of this thread is good..... , suppose I deserve the 2nd page

As soon as you get to the second page

v8kid - 18/6/11 at 05:54 AM

Tried to thing of a witty post but could not be arsed. Also could not be bothered actually Reading other posts. The ones I did read I did not understand so they must be poo. Being incredably stupid and a total lack of education also helps.

She-who-must-be-obeyed is on 5th new MX5 and I do sneak a drive when nobody is looking but it is not a patch on the dynamics or driver delight of my old 150k oil burning ford - so there I must be better than you lot.

Not that it's a compensation for something you understand.

Cheers and enjoy the drivel

blakep82 - 21/6/11 at 12:49 AM

finally sorted my computer after a grim virus i got thursday nite lol
its boredom more than anything else for me. out of work 6 months, applied for poo loads of jobs, and only had 1 interview for a job i didn't get.
its something for me to do and think about (the cat is crap for a conversation, and i can only see my girlfriend at the weekend because she lives in glasgow, and i can't afford the petrol too often, and all my friends are 20 minute drive away) without costing me anything.
can't think of a time i've claimed to be an expert on everything. offered opinion perhaps, or queried other ways of doing something.
but there are a few members on here who claim to be experts on something, then another 'expert' disagrees with the first, get into a big arguement, and the original post goes unanswered. i don't go in for that.
look at this thread for example, how many of the replies are of relevance? less than 25% perhaps?
is the original post of any mind blowing use to everyone building a car? erm... well, no.

if anyone doesn't like what i post, feel free to not read it. you have my blessing
i don't want to be top poster, i don't post for attention. i don't get into big long drawn out arguements with anyone. i'm not that bad am i?

[Edited on 21/6/11 by blakep82]

v8kid - 21/6/11 at 03:33 AM

No we are just taking the pi55

indykid - 21/6/11 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

Hmm kebab...........

its ok mike, 8pm is the threshold in my books

It's 8 o'clock somewhere....

T66 - 21/6/11 at 08:51 AM

I have a knack of posting and not getting replies, any of yous after the answer how I do this, apply within.

2 sugAr cornet 99s please with juice.

And relax........