Board logo

Scaffolding
cps13 - 27/3/13 at 09:25 PM

Hi,

I am having an extension done (to my house!) and was wondering if people have a rough idea of how much scaffolding hire costs? Its two story, 5m x 3m and I will be doing a lot of it so expect the scaffolding would be up a month - 6 weeks?

Can anybody recommend anyone good in/near Southampton?

Cheers

nick205 - 27/3/13 at 09:47 PM

By coincidence, I've just had an estimate from a local firm to scaffold a 4 bed detached house to roof hight withone layer of boards (re-roofing/roofline/chimney work). Price was £600 for 4 weeks. No idea if that's a good/bad price or how good the firm are (spotted them working down the road and asked for a quote).

Left their card at work, but U2U if you want their details.

Cheers
Nick

Simon - 27/3/13 at 10:08 PM

I reckon your quote about right - we had most of our extension done last year - built on top of existing side garage/kitchen (behind garage) so had about 3 metres from and rear with 9 metres down the side was about £1500 (up to second storey roof), the another £500 for a tin roof over kitchen to stop water getting in when old flat rood lifted.

ATB

Simon

jps - 28/3/13 at 07:26 AM

We had a loft dormer window replaced last autumn in out terraced house, so 3rd storey, cost was 1000 and it was up for about 10 days (work only took 1 day!)

cliftyhanger - 28/3/13 at 07:45 AM

I would be asking a friendly builder or 2 who is a cheap supplier, and speak in cash terms to the scaffolder.
Price for my garage dropped from £400+vat to £300 cash very quickly............

Many building trades are struggling for work, so should be competitive. But you need an introduction, or at least a name, to get good prices.

shindha - 28/3/13 at 08:35 AM

This site has some good guides may be not up to date but a god guide.

http://www.lets-do-diy.com/

nick205 - 29/3/13 at 06:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
By coincidence, I've just had an estimate from a local firm to scaffold a 4 bed detached house to roof hight withone layer of boards (re-roofing/roofline/chimney work). Price was £600 for 4 weeks. No idea if that's a good/bad price or how good the firm are (spotted them working down the road and asked for a quote).

Cheers
Nick

Company I spoke to was SSS Scaffold Services - http://www.ssservicesltd.co.uk/

cps13 - 29/3/13 at 10:02 AM

quote:
quote:

Cheers
Nick

Company I spoke to was SSS Scaffold Services - http://www.ssservicesltd.co.uk/

Thanks a lot. Will give them a shout today.