Board logo

washing machine noise
theconrodkid - 21/6/13 at 06:54 PM

as you lot know everything , my machine is making a noise where the drum rubs on the seal,any ideas about lubricating it or is there another reason/cure ?

watsonpj - 21/6/13 at 07:50 PM

more likely the bearings on the way out thats what is was when ours did that.

joneh - 21/6/13 at 07:52 PM

Similar thing happened to me, with a cable tie poking in one of the drum holes, rubbing the around the drum. Must have left it the pocket...

on_eighty_runner - 21/6/13 at 08:45 PM

Had a hotpoint and there was a squeak which I was told required a grease between the door rubber gasket and drum. It was done under warranty twice but seemed to be a bearing noise which never went away. Died 8 years later of a failed clock unit! Children's washing puts a huge load on a machine

As previously mentioned could be a wire (or bra underwire) between drum and outer shell sounds quite bad. If you Cant see it in the drum is likely to be stuck at bottom of drum where outlet connection is. It in an easy but wet fix! Have seen this a few times.

theconrodkid - 22/6/13 at 05:15 AM

the answer i didnt want to hear , it,s unlikley to be a bra as i dont wear one .

Dave Ashurst - 22/6/13 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the answer i didnt want to hear , it,s unlikley to be a bra as i dont wear one .

One of those rare moments when you wish you did

bob - 22/6/13 at 06:11 AM

How old is it John ?

More likely to be the bearings if at age, Mrs bob has just informed me John Lewis are no dearer than the usual suspects (curry's PC world) and they also give you a 2 year warranty instead of one and will take your old machine away for free.

You could attempt a bearing change but to be honest combustion engines are easier !!

matt_gsxr - 22/6/13 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bob

You could attempt a bearing change but to be honest combustion engines are easier !!

Are you suggesting he should make a Pinto powered washing machine.

JoelP - 22/6/13 at 12:46 PM

When it comes to a new washer, I suggest getting one of the Siemens ones with a 5 year warrantee. Blinding value, mine was only about 450.

MikeRJ - 22/6/13 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

A pinto would struggle to wash a pair of socks and a bike engine would expire before the end of the wash. V8 is where it's at

Ninehigh - 22/6/13 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

A pinto would struggle to wash a pair of socks and a bike engine would expire before the end of the wash. V8 is where it's at

Win

Clarkson's probably got his washing machine powered with that Chevy v8