Board logo

Renault Laguna Xenon HID headlamps
russbost - 25/2/06 at 05:36 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Renault Xenon HID gas discharge headlemps. I've got one packed up & it's not the bulb & it's not the fuse (unless they've hidden one somewhere they don't tell you). I take it the unit on the back of the lamp is a transformer? Am I looking for a 12volt feed up to that point?
Any info would be useful Bl***y stupid system, a failed headlamp used to be a 5 minute job whatever the cause, took me half an hour just to get access - I hate modern cars!

Snuggs - 25/2/06 at 06:40 PM

IIRC the bulbs are 100v so will be powered from a transformer.
This should be a 12 v supply.
Dont know if there is a hidden fuse anywhere.

I was told that the bulbs are £120 each from Renault

[Edited on 25/2/06 by Snuggs]

theconrodkid - 25/2/06 at 08:06 PM

there was something about these on piston heads some time ago,worth an ask?

britishtrident - 25/2/06 at 08:43 PM

I had a search on some of the usual forums for you nothing specific -- may be something but lost in the usual deluge french car electrical problems.

I should have info on the system that was used by Rover on the 75.

russbost - 25/2/06 at 08:49 PM

Guess they all use similar systems, voltages etc, what can you give me on the Rover system?
Thanx for the efforts so far guys!

britishtrident - 25/2/06 at 09:12 PM

Sorry -- the Rover Rave manual seems to ignore headamps.

steve_gus - 25/2/06 at 11:37 PM

have a look on the parkers car forum

http://www.parkers.co.uk

i think its usually the ballast or a bad connection

atb

steve

russbost - 27/2/06 at 10:32 PM

Thanx for the info Steve, have posted on Parker's so far with no joy - can't believe I'm the only person to have had this problem

steve_gus - 28/2/06 at 07:54 PM

im amazed that a guy called antmat hasnt replied to you ---- hes got about 14k posts!!!! all of them slagging off renaults. if ever someone needed a life

atb

steve

russbost - 28/2/06 at 10:27 PM

Have now had a load of info from a guy called Andi on the Parkers site - likely to be the ballast module located under the headlamp & prone to water ingress, I suspect the headlamp was full of water due to an idiot with a pressure washer so would make sense.
Anyway an answer has been got which is good - proves these forums work.
Thanx,
Russ