Board logo

OT Central heating/boiler problem
russbost - 31/7/07 at 05:59 PM

I have a Potterton Suprema 80 boiler, about 9 years old, last serviced about last Nov. It has an intermittent problem which occurs randomly both with heating turned on or just on hot water setting. The boiler will turn itself off as though it has overheated; press the reset button on the boiler panel & Hey Presto all is fine again - for 3 weeks, or a day, or 5 days or whatever. Pressing the reset always fixes it, but it will always recur, just a question of when. Could be a faulty temp sensor of some kind?
Any ideas from you boiler experts out there would be most welcome, the problem has been happening for around six months now.

ecosse - 31/7/07 at 07:40 PM

Not a boiler expert, but our boiler has been doing the same thing (worcester), the engineer said the most likely cause(s) in order were, the overheat temp sensor, the post flow valve (?) or the heat exchanger, mine is apparently the exchanger which costs more than the boiler is worth, didn't surprise me at all
Although to be fair he changed the others without charge when they didn't cure the problem.

Cheers

Alex

APR - 31/7/07 at 08:10 PM

needs new pcb common problem with suprimas

russbost - 31/7/07 at 09:41 PM

APR
Which pcb or is there only one?
Thanx for info.
Russ

GasGasGas - 31/7/07 at 09:50 PM

Suprimas are infamous for many things!

first- check the colour of your heating water-is it discoloured? does the boiler sound like your kettle first thing in the morning popping and rumbling? if so the low water content cast iron heat exchanger is probably scaled and sludged - so put some kind of flushing agent in and leave it there for a week then follow the instructions! and put an inhibitor/protector in afterwards.

It may also pay to check the speed setting on your pump- try turning it up one setting.

If thats all ok then SIT down! its going to be an intermitant fault on the pcb and will cost lots for a new one which comes as a conversion kit!

Even more if you do it properly and get a corgi engineer to fit it for you as your supposed to!