Board logo

Golf 2.0 diesel question
jabbahutt - 6/12/07 at 02:34 PM

Afternoon

My wife has just bought a 2.0 Golf diesel and we're having a bit of a head scratching session with it.

The air con is by default set to on and the button has to be pushed to get into economy mode.

However whenever we push the economy button no matter how long the car has been running it starts to steam up. i thought it might be excess moisture due to a) how wet it is and b) the car was valeted before we bought it so maybe there is more moisture from steam cleaning etc but these are only guesses

My wife wanted a diesel to try and save a bit of money with the better fuel economy but if the air con needs to be on all the time it's not really as beneficial to the wallet.

Any ideas on what to try or what might be the cause? all assistance welcome.

Cheers
Nigel

stuart_g - 6/12/07 at 02:42 PM

damp pollen filter. they are only a couple of quid.

Danozeman - 6/12/07 at 04:16 PM

Run it without the aircon and warm for a few days. My passat does that if the aircons been on alot even in the summer more so when its wet like it is at the moment.

Just a thought Is the aircon drain blocked??

ned - 6/12/07 at 04:25 PM

Mine's started doing this lately with the weather getting wetter, mate at work recons it's a faulty door seal allowing condensation in over night or summat.
I find running the aircon pulls the moisture off the screen and I try and cool down the heating before I stop so theres less of a temperature difference on the screen when the cars cooling down so the condensation doesn't develop.
btw I never use the aircon apart from to clear moisture from the inside of the windscreen.

Ned.

[Edited on 6/12/07 by ned]

twybrow - 6/12/07 at 04:41 PM

Just be wary - appraently if you dont run the aircon for a while, the seals and pump can die. My boss just had this on a Ford Ka and it cost him £350 to have it replaced - that is a lot of miles in a diesel!

onzarob - 6/12/07 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
My wife wanted a diesel to try and save a bit of money with the better fuel economy but if the air con needs to be on all the time it's not really as beneficial to the wallet.

Cheers
Nigel

My Audi give 50mpg+ with or without the aircon I economy mode. the aircon pumps are very efficient so you wont notice any noticeable gains.

If you run the heater in econ mode for a while does it then clear?

mark chandler - 6/12/07 at 07:43 PM

Another possibility could be the water lurking in the expansion radiator housing (ie within the heater box). You will have drain pipes as the radiator cools the air it condenses and water droplets form in the housing, if the drain pipes are blocked then water builds up and the car becomes wet inside.

Regards Mark

britishtrident - 6/12/07 at 08:31 PM

Sounds like you are running with the air-recirculation on --- ie the vent which allows the heater fan to draw fresh air in via the pollen filter is shut.

Normally with the AC the recirc should be on as this is much more efficient.

With the AC off however you need the recirc off (fresh air vent open) or dampness will build up inside the car.

[Edited on 6/12/07 by britishtrident]

graememk - 6/12/07 at 10:29 PM

pollen filter every time

Metal Hippy - 6/12/07 at 10:38 PM

Door seals on a Mark 5 Golf = crap.

If a Golf goes into the workshop to have a seal replaced under warranty they do the other 3 all paid for under warranty terms by Volkswagen as a preventative measure..

Just worth noting..