Board logo

Coolant leaks - silicone hoses
Sloan85 - 18/1/14 at 06:12 PM

For my cooling system I have used alloy tube with beaded ends and silicone hoses, fixed with jubilee clips. Several of these are leaking, not massively, but after a quick drive I may notice a drip or two on the floor where the car is parked.

I can't tighten the jubilee clips any more for fear of stripping the threads. Any ideas how I can stop these leaks? Are there any better clips to use rather than standard jubilee clips?

Cheers

blakep82 - 18/1/14 at 06:20 PM

Are the jubilee clips too big? Too big they can end up pinching the hose
Also look at mikalor clamps

Wheels244 - 18/1/14 at 06:21 PM

You could double up on the jubilee clips and maybe not do them up so tight - they may not be pulling up in a true circle and causing your leaks.

Rob

bimbleuk - 18/1/14 at 06:27 PM

Or even hose too big for the ally tube so similar to above the silicon hose gets pinched and a small leak path is created.

nick205 - 18/1/14 at 06:46 PM

Mikalor type hose clamps are better as the pull might tighter and more uniformly around the hose. They're dearer than wom drive clamps, but much more reliable.

britishtrident - 18/1/14 at 06:50 PM

A short section of bicycle inner tube stretched over the stub pipe will make the fit snugger and give a bit of compliance, you can use 2 or 3 layers! if required. Talc or silicone grease will help you slide the hose on.
Don't over tighten the clips but you will find quality hose clips on eBay if you search for T Bolt clamps, these tighten more evenly than Jubilee style clips.

britishtrident - 18/1/14 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Mikalor type hose clamps are better as the pull might tighter and more uniformly around the hose. They're dearer than wom drive clamps, but much more reliable.

+1. I also use them not just for hoses but in also place of U bolt exhaust clamps, on exhausts.

[Edited on 18/1/14 by britishtrident]

r1_pete - 18/1/14 at 06:56 PM

I find the 9mm band stainless clips wrk well on silicone, they are made from thin stainless and are very flexible, and grip the hose nice and even without the pinching the heavier steel clips seem to cause.

[Edited on 18/1/14 by r1_pete]

bob - 18/1/14 at 07:35 PM

+ 1 for the bicycle inertube, i used this trick on the 32mm alloy pipe i used.

Mikalor are the best and good value for the money.