Board logo

altinator
tom court - 5/1/06 at 07:55 PM

i have a tiger cat, the altinator is catching on supension any ideas ???
can i use a different altinator

donut - 5/1/06 at 08:05 PM

You could try and fabricate a different mount or use a smaller alternator. Mac#1 made a mount for the Pinto.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by donut]

britishtrident - 5/1/06 at 08:26 PM

Can you either fit a slightly shorter belt or offset the engine enough to clear it. You could also try stiffer engine mountings -- such as from the old "Series" Land-Rover

tom court - 5/1/06 at 09:15 PM

could i not use a smaller altinator?

Monkeybasher - 5/1/06 at 09:28 PM

i had similar trouble with the supplied alternator for my avon. I ended up grinding the casing back on the alt and moving the engine slightly. Moving the engine too much resulted in the starter motor hitting the chassis on the other side, that was a fun day never once swore

[Edited on 5/1/06 by Monkeybasher]

02GF74 - 6/1/06 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tom court
could i not use a smaller altinator?

yes if you know which nodel will fit. is there no way to mount it on the other side of the engine like you can with rover v8?

owelly - 6/1/06 at 09:47 AM

Hows about some piccies?
I have just fitted a Micra altenatorto solve a clearanc issue.I wasn't smaller butthe mounts were different.

ayoungman - 6/1/06 at 10:39 AM

What engine are you using ? I assume your using a pinto. If, a Lucas alternator from a Series Landrover will fit (£28 brand new) You will need to make a braket from a piece of angle. HTH

ADD - 7/1/06 at 05:29 PM

coincidence, I have just come in from scratching my head in the garage over the alternator fouling the chassis. I am building an avon from scratch and thought that it was just another drawing error!. How do tiger overcome this? Do they fabricate their own bracket? If so has anyone got a piccie of one so I can have a go.

marshall - 7/1/06 at 05:41 PM

ADD have you got some pixs of your avon?

oliwb - 7/1/06 at 06:13 PM

I've also got a Tiger CAT (pinto power) you need either a Lucas LRA101 (I believe) got mine off ebay for £20, brand new recon unit.....or if it's just the blades on the fan (usually is) you need to take a grinder to the ends and just knock off the corners....I will try and find a pick of what others have done later and post it.....HTH Oli.

ADD - 7/1/06 at 06:46 PM

I have put a couple of pics engine line up 1 & 2 in my archive. Have a look. This was the other day before I tried out the altinator.