Board logo

Seeping leaky core Plug
Julian B - 28/3/07 at 04:51 PM

Hi all

I have had my car on the road for all of 200miles now and i have found a problem with water retention. It dosn't, is the problem

I have located the problem to a seeping and leaky core plug.
Having never changed one of these any advice on how to do so would be very welcome... Its an Ali rover V8 lump by the way.

Thanks

mookaloid - 28/3/07 at 06:36 PM

Core plug replacement:

1. buy a set of core plugs for your engine

2. remove old core plugs by using punch and hammer to make hole in old core plug and lever out.

3. clean hole

4.after applying suitable sealer of preference drift new core plug in using a suitable sized socket and hammer

5. wipe off excess sealant

Cheers

Mark

David Jenkins - 28/3/07 at 06:47 PM

Addendum:

Tap each core plug on one side using a drift, so that it spins. This makes removal so much easier!

Also, as Mark suggests, if one core plug has gone, it's a fair bet that they've all gone (or will go soon). Safest option is to change all of them, rather than have an unexpected major leak.

HTH,
David

mookaloid - 28/3/07 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Addendum:

Tap each core plug on one side using a drift, so that it spins. This makes removal so much easier!

Also, as Mark suggests, if one core plug has gone, it's a fair bet that they've all gone (or will go soon). Safest option is to change all of them, rather than have an unexpected major leak.

HTH,
David

Sorry missed point 6. repeat for all other plugs

Julian B - 28/3/07 at 08:15 PM

Thanks Guys

good info, but what sealant? blue hermatite?

Thanks again

iank - 28/3/07 at 09:07 PM

As above, it's not uncommon in engines that have sat unused for a while.

Blue Hylomar will do just fine as a sealant. (never heard of hermatite, sounds like a rock )

Edit: did some googling. Hermatite sounds fine as well (still sounds like a rock though )

[Edited on 28/3/07 by iank]

DIY Si - 28/3/07 at 09:18 PM

I have sealed one with super glue before due to not having anything else to hand.

robertst - 28/3/07 at 09:21 PM

hermatite.... that sounds like the brand of a hemorrhoid ointment

seriously what the heck is hylomar? can't one use a glue of some sort? or even silicone?

iank - 28/3/07 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robertst
hermatite.... that sounds like the brand of a hemorrhoid ointment

seriously what the heck is hylomar? can't one use a glue of some sort? or even silicone?

http://www.hylomar.co.uk/universalblue.htm

DIY Si - 28/3/07 at 09:51 PM

Hylomar blue is my favorite sealant. Used in my garage to seal just about anything.

DarrenW - 29/3/07 at 10:39 AM

JB weld will give you a temporary fix until you can get the new core plugs. You need to decide though if using this will make it harder to remove the plugs when the time comes.

You will need to drain the system down below the level of the plug if effecting a temp repair and observe the instructions on how to use.

I have had a problem with a core plug rusting from the inside out on an engine that has been stood for a while. Unfortunately the plug is in an awkward place and means engine removal to change it. JB has stood the test of time for now. A bit of gaffer tape over the top and some gentle heat (fan heater) helped keep it in place whilst it set.