Board logo

Bike Carbs to air filter - How?
Sporty - 13/6/08 at 02:28 PM

As above really, have got the bike carbs mounted but obviously need an air filter on.

Do I need part of the airbox from the bike or can I just bolt a blank filter back onto the carb bodies.

Any help and of photo's appreciated.

Ian

omega0684 - 13/6/08 at 02:32 PM

on my set of r1 carbs i got a piper cross filter with a blank back plate and then just cut holes out accordingly, now i have r1 throttle bodies i use an r1 box as a template as it has the air temp sensor built into it and then modded the old back plate to fit.

hope this helps

BenB - 13/6/08 at 02:39 PM

I used a chopped down ST airbox and made up a carbon fibre plenum to take it to a tubular type cone filter.

see

linky

richardh - 13/6/08 at 02:41 PM

mnr racing can do you a plate cutout and the filter for about 75 squids i think
u2u marc n if you want to know more or mnrltd.co.uk

big_wasa - 13/6/08 at 02:47 PM

Bogg brothers just used Pu on a set of R1's

Sporty - 13/6/08 at 02:54 PM

Photo looks like what I need to do. Thanks for the info.

Ian

DarrenW - 13/6/08 at 03:00 PM

I think it depends what carbs you have and what filter you want to fit. I used Kawasaki Keihins and used the original back plate with rubber trumpets. I then got a K&N challenger filter and grafted that on. I have some pics i could send you if you U2U me your email address.

cryoman1965 - 13/6/08 at 03:46 PM

I used these pipercross foam socks. Got them from Burtonpower Rescued attachment Engine.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine.jpg

David Jenkins - 13/6/08 at 04:04 PM

I made my own, with the aid of the original carb connecting rubber bits...

...but I have a habit of doing things the hard way!

r1_pete - 13/6/08 at 05:36 PM

mines made from a race can, and a home cut backplate Rescued attachment 2airbox3.jpg
Rescued attachment 2airbox3.jpg