Board logo

Repacking a normal silencer?
Derek182 - 22/9/08 at 10:58 PM

My Luego pinto recently gave 109db at a Woodbridge trackday where the limit was 102db, some DIY with a Coke can got it legal at least for a while but strangled the engine.
The exhaust is a Westfield stainless 4" which is in good condition apart from a complete lack of packing.
It is not supposed to be a repackable silencer but surely it can't be hard to cut the end off, repack and weld back together or make the end cap boltable on and off.
Anyone done this?
Advice appreciated.

twybrow - 23/9/08 at 12:12 AM

I cut and welded mine. I should have put more thought in and made it removable, but it is a dog, and only meant for SVA.

Mr Whippy - 23/9/08 at 06:43 AM

how about a clamp on band near the end, say 2inchs wide overlapping the join, so you can take it apart later, could even use it as the mounting bracket?

contaminated - 23/9/08 at 09:36 AM

I know someone on the Tiger forum has done this with a standard Tiger silencer - but I can't remember who!

groundrush - 2/10/08 at 12:29 PM

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/viatron/vpost?id=2806747&highlight=silencer#

This is the link to the tiger site where they repacked a non repackable silencer.

If it doesn't work use the search feature and type in "tiger exhaust can"

I may just order a RAW one. May be worth seeing about a group discount if we can get a few ordered at the same time. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Ben