Board logo

More than expected !
Simon - 18/10/13 at 05:07 PM

Phoned Adrian Flux to get a quote on a Mazda RX8 (with BMW 330 diesel engine/box).

Given that toy car was approx £140, was expecting around £175, maybe £200 ish.

Imagine how much I laughed when she said "Just over £500"

Anyone got any better ideas who to call other than AF for modded cars. Have written them a stroppy email thoigh.

Cheers

Simon

nick205 - 18/10/13 at 05:50 PM

Have you already fitted the 330d engine and transmission into the RX8? If so I think we need photos considering the recent threads on cheap kanckered RX8s and the options for engine conversions.

Have to say though a 3.0 straight six diesel doesn't leap out as an obvious or desirable conversion

Simon - 18/10/13 at 06:22 PM

Nah - that was the reason for getting the quote. Been looking at RX8's for a month or two and thought I'd get a quote on a modified one first - though going on that quote I may not bother. Wouldn't have minded a couple of hundred quid but five hundred slightly absurd imho.

If I can get a sensible quote, I may well do it

I like the idea of the diesel - may need an auto too, just to add insult to injury

ATB

Simon

Doctor Derek Doctors - 18/10/13 at 07:12 PM

Let me get this straight...

You're going to take the engine out of a RWD coupe and go to all the trouble of fitting it to a different RWD coupe? Why not just get a 330d coupe (or estate if you want practicality as well) and just drive it. Saving loads of hassle and cost. I'm all for making something for the sake of the build but this seems mad in a pointless sort of way.

snakebelly - 18/10/13 at 08:40 PM

Pointless!! No such thing! Do it just so you can see if it can be done :-)

Simon - 18/10/13 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Let me get this straight...

You're going to take the engine out of a RWD coupe and go to all the trouble of fitting it to a different RWD coupe? Why not just get a 330d coupe (or estate if you want practicality as well) and just drive it. Saving loads of hassle and cost. I'm all for making something for the sake of the build but this seems mad in a pointless sort of way.

Yes, I took the engine from a Rover SD1 (a rear wheel drive car) and put it in a 7 rep (yes, also a rear wheel drive car) - see pics in my archive for more details!!!

I have an Espace for practicality (well, my second one actually, as I liked the first one so much).

I like the shape of the RX8, but the engines are crap. I don't like BMW's but the engines are reasonably ok. The 330 diesel chucks out 200 ish horses (similar to the RX8) and lots of torque (nothing like the RX8). I was originally thinking of taking an RX8 and transferring all the running gear (inc the wankel) into an MGB GT (sorry, engine and box from a rear wheel drive car and put it in another rear wheel drive car. Sorry, a bit pointless according to you. Oops!)

I want to do it because I can - it's a project - the hassle and cost as you put it, are all part of the fun and attraction of doing it in the first place.

I asked for some input on an insurance quote, not your opinion on whether it's worth doing or not, so if you have nothing to add, I think the best policy is silence.

Cheers

Simon

paulf - 18/10/13 at 10:05 PM

I have also considered RX8s but apart from the insurance road tax also falls in the higher tax bracket based on emissions a 2006 onwards car is £490 so would not be very worth while.
Paul

Simon - 18/10/13 at 10:13 PM

Yep, answer there is to get a pre March '06one, but deffo a thing to know about

ATB

Simon

Hector.Brocklebank - 19/10/13 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

I asked for some input on an insurance quote, not your opinion on whether it's worth doing or not, so if you have nothing to add, I think the best policy is silence.

Cheers

Simon

+1

Benzine - 19/10/13 at 11:12 AM

Sounds like a laugh There's an RX8 in my local scrapyard that's been de-wankel'd if you need any engine bay measurements? (should be going in the next week)

Simon - 19/10/13 at 03:25 PM

Hi Ben, yeah please - I know the bay is quite large - if there's a bmw 6 cyl diesel lying around could you measure that too please

There's plenty of V8's going in them, just need to know if the bay will cope with an extra cylinder to two, might have to move the rad etc

Cheers

Simon

Benzine - 24/10/13 at 12:52 PM

Some rough dimensions from today. I'd struggle with fitting a 4 cylinder engine to be honest Do people that fit V8s move the steering rack? There's no way I'd consider a straight six, and that's coming from me (straight six in a seven, straight 5 in a volvo amazon )

I'd go V6