Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Floor Paint
albertz

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Floor Paint

I have read the previous postings about garage floor paint and have decided to go with a sealing coat of PVA/water mix, with probably Screwfix floor paint on top, but my questions are as follows:

I am getting the floor slab laid on Thursday, how long should i leave it before sealing the concrete?

How long should i leave the seal coat before applying the finish paint coat?

I know concrete takes 28 days to fully cure and also to tape a piece of polythene down to the floor to check the moisture etc, but i am just looking for a general rule of thumb as i dont want to damage the floor or covering, but on the other hand i am desperate to get my Locost in there to get the engine transplant finally complete this spring...

Thanks

dhutch

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know, but proberbly would be best to leave it for around a month before doing much. Maybe a little less as its warm/drying ish about.
- We left ours about a month before sealing. It then took maybe a week to seam fully dry from the pva sealent (two coats 2days apart).

Daniel

mookaloid

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
You are going to think this is very sad but I have a City and Guilds in Concrete technology

You are quite correct that you should keep the concrete moist after it is laid. if you let the surface dry out before it sets, it could crack - particularly if it is windy.

If you want a good non dusty surface go for a higher cement content mix and don't have the concrete too wet as it's laid.

The higher cement content will help it get to a useable strength quicker but at any rate, it should be ok after about a week to let it dry then you can seal it and paint it after 3 weeks it should reach about 90% of it's strength
Actually it can take years to reach it's full strength

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

coozer

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've no idea why people paint there home garage floors but I'm interested in the shiny surface you see, like in B&Q.

Can you explain whats involved in that mookaloid my learned friend?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

BenB

posted on 6/4/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that Screwfix garage floor paint is good stuff.

Some say that you need to use concrete etch if its a fresh floor to give something for the paint to bite onto. I saw how many warnings there were on the side of it (basically concentrated acid) and saw how rough the floor surface is anyway and did't bother... Infact, its still sat in my garage....

Guinness

posted on 6/4/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I've no idea why people paint there home garage floors but I'm interested in the shiny surface you see, like in B&Q.

Can you explain whats involved in that mookaloid my learned friend?

Steve

What you need is a polish.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/polishing/

Mike

Andi

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
It will also depend on the slump of the concrete.

Chippy

posted on 6/4/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Only problem with garage floor paint, returning after a spirited blat, this can happen.

Stuck on you :-)
Stuck on you :-)

Them there tyres do get very bloody hot, the next day all four had stuck so hard to the paint couldn't move the car, had to start it and drive it back. You have been warned, Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/4/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I used a polyurethane sealer, not PVA, on my new floor many years back. It's still on there, with the red paint on top of it.
The garage floor (7m by 5m) was levelled and polished when laid, so it's like glass. I didn't think PVA would be able to penetrate too well, hence polyurethane sealer.
I remember the garage being a glue-sniffers paradise for a few days, though the paint took many weeks to totally lose it's solvent.
A048/888's would pick up the surface for a few months, it now takes a good hot slick to do the same.

Nick Skidmore

posted on 7/4/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Epoxy floor paint every time, can be expensive so shop around.

I bought some last year £120 a tin normally a fiver to me !!!

No I can't get any more

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.