Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OIl cooler hoses, Hyabusa Fury
JohnCL

posted on 23/5/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
OIl cooler hoses, Hyabusa Fury

At Kames sprint yesterday a hose came adrift from the oil cooler. Hopefully the engine is OK as i don't recall the oil warning light coming on. Oil everywhere!

At a quick look last night it seems the hose was held on by a jubilee clip which is still there, loose on the pipe from the engine, while the hose is free.

This seems an odd way to secure such a important bit of kit or is this standard.

Has anyone a better suggestion for fixing the existing hose back on or replacing it with a better method?

Ta

John

Bigboystoys

posted on 23/5/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
The oil cooler pipe ends that bolt to the crankcase are steel so I simply soldered a threaded union on each end and use a braided hose that fitted that union to join the two. Works perfectly and a repair you know you can trust not to come off. Nothing worse than worrying about loosing an oil pipe all the time. Mine is a gsxr 1000 engine but sure they are the same
noc231073

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
replace it with either proper oil hose and goodridge fittings expensive btw ... or go to your local hydraulic place and get the to make you up some hoseing with swaged fittings..
what oil cooler are ya using??
and what fitting have you got at the engine end ?

snapper

posted on 23/5/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had an oil cooler pipe push off, the oil up the side of the cat and underneath was phenomenal.
Planning on swaged hoses on my cooler next.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Bigboystoys

posted on 23/5/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Snapper (Paul) picked up my car from Paul goodham yesterday. Cheers for the recommendation. He has done a lovely job.
Antnicuk

posted on 23/5/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
i went to Think Automotive (Mocal) as they sell hose and fittings that you just dip the hose in boiling water and then push it on and its rated to 200 psi. I did still put clips on as i was paranoid but nothing has shifted yet and rotaries run quite high oil pressure. It was an easy way to buy fittings (which were quite cheap in steel) and make the hoses at home to suit.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

JohnCL

posted on 25/5/11 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'm going to re clip it up to test engine and for the next sprint if alls OK. I can then ask the others for opinions on the set up.

There's some views that for speed events an oil cooler is not needed up here in sunny Scotland. The cars not road legal.

Any views on that?

John

Rustybin

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Very few sprinters bother with an oil cooler on a 'busa. Getting the oil temp high enough is usually the problem.

If you get some blanking plates. Dont forget that you need to remove the restrictor behind the oil filter. It looks like a big grub screw with a hex head and needs to be removed completely or you will get oil starvation and engine damage.

JohnCL

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help. I've seen blanking plates for sale and they mention removing the grub screw.
Nick DV

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Why go to the trouble of removing stuff and blanking off things, after all you may have the need of an oil cooler if you use the car for something other than a hillclimb. Leave it and cover it with something for hillclimbs and remove the cover when doing other things. Simples!!

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

JohnCL

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Duh, plastic bag coming up!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.